Ricki Lake appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show recently to talk about the blaze that burnt down her rented Malibu home in August. The fire was caused by a candle and destroyed everything Lake and her two sons, Milo, 13, and Owen, 9, owned.
She recalled, “My nine year old went and got his brother and saved him… Unfortunately we lost everything that was in the house.”
The former talk show host added, “It’s tragic and it’s scary but I’m so grateful. My children are healthy, I’m healthy; I didn’t get burned in that fire… If there’s some higher power looking out for me or what, I won’t take it for granted. I never did before this happened and I never will.
“We got out with the clothes on our back – no shoes, nothing. It was terrifying but I also feel like, suddenly things are just things.”
However Lake looks at the positive side of the incident.
“I mourn the loss of that house even though I didn’t own it… but I actually think my kids will learn a valuable lesson about how quickly things can change and you have each other and family is everything.”