John Travolta & Kelly Preston Preparing For ‘Silent Birth’

John Travolta & Kelly Preston Preparing For 'Silent Birth'

Like typical expectant parents, John Travolta and wife Kelly Preston are busy getting ready for the arrival of their son Benjamin. But they’re not just washing onesies and picking out cribs – John and Kelly are preparing for the controversial ‘silent’ Scientology birth.

“The couple will follow the church’s guidelines during delivery,” a source close to the family says. “No music, no talking and no screaming will be allowed during the pains of labor. Also their new son cannot be prodded for medical tests or spoken to for the first seven days of his life. You don’t want to do anything that will haunt them for the rest of their lives.”

In an interview a few years ago Kelly said she tried to follow the church’s guidelines during the birth of daughter Ella Bleu, but after 13 hours of labor she had had enough and yelled at her husband, “Throw me in the car. I want an epidural!” Traffic prohibited them from making the trip, however.

“This time around, Kelly is determined to follow her church’s guidelines,” the source says. “Everyone who will be present at the birth has been given clear instructions to not make a sound.”

Filed under: Celebrity Dads,Celebrity Moms,John Travolta,Kelly Preston,Pregnancy Watch

Photo credit: Fame Pictures

Clearly, the church’s instructions were written by men.

Bahahhaahaahaha The previous comment rocks!!!!

Oh whatever, bunch of freaks.

Yes, freaky. No sounds during birth? No speaking to your own baby for 7 days? I like to think that I’m open-minded, and “to each his own” — but this all sounds REALLY ridiculous. I say, scream if you’re in pain and feel free to express your love for your new baby!!!

4. Cyberkitten41

huh? i can support the no medical tests but NOT talking to your baby for 7 days??? wth? Plus not to mention the whole SILENT birth..show me a man who can pass a grapefruit out the end of his penis with NO sound and i’ll support a silent birth! lol

You can’t even speak to your newborn for 7 days??!!! The only thing that will ‘haunt’ the child is that ‘religion’!!

Not talk to the baby for 7 days???? the first words out of my mouth after the birth of my son was “you are so beautiful, i love you” what about bonding and the sound of mom’s voice???? weird.

7. Audrey

Well they probably would have thrown me out of the church 3 times. I was a “squeeler”. : )

8. C.

Scientology must be a joke. Seriously…

9. Leah

Those scientology rules are ridiculous!

10. Tina

JOHN AND KELLY: IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT TO BE DOING WHEN JESUS SHOWS UP?!????

11. Helen

How in the world are you not supposed to talk to your little baby miracle, especially after the loss of their 1st born son.
    I could never do something like that.
    Also when it comes to birth, the woman, and only the woman should be in charge. It’s your experience, and just let yourself go, whatever needs to happen, will happen. You can’t control these things.

12. Kimberlee

I really don’t get what’s so controversial about that. It’s as controversial as the next religious practice. The thing about religion is that it’s based on faith, so beliefs that I hold dear and will defend to death may seem flimsy and nonsensical to someone else. If Kelly Preston and John Travolta exercise the practice of silent birth in order to follow what their religion stipulates, so what? I respect them for their choice and congratulate them for their newborn. They are not hurting anybody and have the best of intentions. More power to them.

She’s not really pregnant.

LMAO! 7 days of no speaking!

What does it means “she is not really pregnant”?

16. Rach

What kind of medical staff honors something like this? Are they Scientologists too? This is freaky deaky…

There’s no legal requirement that real medical staff must be present for a birth. I would assume they probably have some sort of Scientology “practitioner” or midwife.

Forgot to add, assuming the birth takes place outside of a hospital (e.g., at home). It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the Scientology Center had it’s own “birthing center”.

I wish the Travolta’s all the happiness in the world. ….But, I sure hope that their religious practices won’t stand in the way of their new baby’s well-being, like it possibly did with poor Jet.

Hope she doesn’t let out a loud fart since it’s certainly possible with all of that pushing that’s involved.

I highly doubt that a natural birth is even possible in the US with a 48+ year old pregnant woman. Kelly; if she is even pregnant; is cleary having a c-section at her age. Just out of safety, no doctor would even think about letting a woman of that age have stressful labor pains or even push out a baby. The liability is just too high for everyone.

20. popsykl

what a crock oh shite.i spoke to my new baby and she bloody smiled at me……they know your voice already, they have heard it all through the pregnancy…….why deny them your voice!!!!!!!! poor benjamin

21. Aish

I swear all Scientologists are just irl trolls trolling society for their entertainment. They can’t possibly be for real…

After the tragedy of losing their beloved Son, I’m very happy for them. As long as Kelly and John are happy with a “silent birth” then let them be just that, happy! I mean do you really want to call them names, they lost a child. Whatever religion they are, they have experienced a heartbreaking loss and no Parent should have to suffer that pain.

23. Country girl

It will hurt the child more if not properly nutured in the first few days, those are critical. Scientology is a cult plain and simple, and a dangerous one at that. They must be making a fortune out of people like John Travolta and Tom Cruise

24. Leya

When a newborn is deprived from getting phisically and emotionaly close to its mother can have sideeffects. According to psychology the possible short-term effects of this deprivation are anger, despair, detachment, and temporary delay in intellectual development. Long-term effects include increased aggression, clinging behavior, detachment, psychosomatic disorders, and an increased risk of depression as an adult.There are many researches on how a newborn is affected when the baby is not given to its mother straight away after being born. The baby must feel the closeness of the mother, her heartbeat, her voice to feel SAFE. That is the key to raise a healthy child The Scientological approach is pure nonsense, scientifcally not proven and I am totally shocked that people actually spend money and time to study the ideology of a former sci-fi writer who happened to be convicted for fraud. But I wish the best for John and Kelly, it is a tragedy to loose a child, but for the sake of Kelly I would definietly go for a c-section at her age.

I completely agree that not talkign to your baby for 7 days after birth, or denying him from medical attention is ridiculous. However, the possible effects you describe are effects of when a baby is denied sensitive behavior by the mother or father in the sensitive (not critical!) period in its life, which are th first few years.
      Detachment can only occur when an attachment has formerly occured, which is not the case with the whole 7-day thing.
      Also, it has not been proven that witholding physical contact in the first few days a baby’s life will harm him.

Although I understand where you are coming from, 7 days of not speaking to your child will most probably not make him angry or agressive. Noticing your child’s signals and responding sensitively to this has proven to be the foundation of attachment relationships. This does not by definition include talkign to the baby.

But again, I find scientology ridiculous! And although not talking to the baby for 7 days will probably not harm the baby’s further development in life, I do agree that it can play a great role in creating safety for a baby.

Scientology instructions for Silent Birth do NOT include not to scream or make noise. This is pure nonsense and irresponsible reporting, especially as the full information is all over the internet, for example here: http://www.scientologyparent.com or scientologynews.org/faq/what-is-silent-birth.html

This is stupid. I am all about homebirth…. but a woman needs to be comforted and soothed and nurtured during her labor. SHE NEEDS TO BE ENCOURAGED to make noises to help her labor out.

And not talking to your baby for 7 days?? That is dis-connected and mean. You need to talk to your baby, connect with them for proper attachment.

Morons.

27. Tammy

First…Congrats to John & Kelly. A new baby is truly a miracle. Second…While their religion stipulates the `silent birth` as the way of doing things, I honestly dont know how she could possibly do it. With DD1, the pain was so intense I had to stop myself from screaming. I sure as hell made lots of noises though. And God forbit someone was there to convince me to be quiet….That person wouldnt be alive today lol. And how could it be possible to ruin a childs whole life by talking to him/her before aged 7 days? I just dont understand that! When DD1 was born, I remember crying & thanking God. Then I talked to my beautiful new baby girl…I cant imagine not talking to her for 7 minutes, much less 7 days!!

I know John and Kelly through mutual friends and I’m telling you first hand that this is all lies. They know the risks involved with having a baby at Kelly’s age and will be having him at a hospital with doctors around. They may believe in scientology but they are not stupid when it comes to the health of their children.

29. JMO

I am a Travolta fan and was saddened by their son’s passing but this scientology crap is bogus!
    What damage is really done to your child by speaking to them when first born? Really where is all the scientology proof?!
    I don’t know how anyone cannot look at their baby and want to talk to him/her. I read different stuff before on other blogs and they also believe that children are little adults and should make their own choices. (ie. Suri Cruise – nuff said)!
    I try not to knock religions, to each their own, but some are just so crazy that all I can do is shake my head!

30. Kim

I, for one, completely agree. You don’t want to anything that will haunt them for the rest of their lives. Like screaming during labour. Or talking to them during the first seven days. Or raising them in the “church of scientology.”

31. Sherry

They better shut up now then because from seven months of pregnancy on, a fetus can hear. They are soooo weird!

32. AvaElizabeth

how sad.

Scientology is a reason why her first son is dead (their no medication and there are no mental illnesses-rules are soooo great as we saw) and now they torture their new babyboy with no speaking with him for 7 days.

That’s really horrible. Poor little Kid. They don’t should be allowed to have that kid, it’s in danger.

33. Shine

I don’t know about them and I am not talking about any religion here but I just had to talk to my babies right after they were born. It’s the natural thing to do.

34. Beerrethy

Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back often!

You do not need to post the same thing twice. You already posted this once, which is one time too many. No once cares about your Scientology propaganda.

36. popsykl

its a cult you nob…wake up

You are absolutely I did not check your link or read what it has to say. I think you are a nutjob, and I don’t pay attention to the things nutjobs say.

38. Shirilicious

Wasn’t L Ron Hubbard an unsuccesful science fiction writer? What kind of education does he have that you would trust him as an scientific researcher? Where are those countless proven cases you’re talking about? What methods did he use to be able to accurately prove his point of view that words can be some kind of “hypnotic commands” later on in life? How would he have even known about this (what was actually said during birth and how people turned out to be later)?

Seriously, I sometimes can’t believe how gullible people are!

NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR SCIENTOLOGY PROPAGANDA.

It doesn’t matter how many times you post that stupid link. You are not going to convince anyone. We all think it’s a cult, and that you are a whack job.

Interesting how one-lifers (those who cannot recall existence prior to the body they are currently using) rant and rave about those things that frighten them most… their own past.

I wish you well with your hatred. Keep it close. Try not to let go. Dig deep and hold on fast!

41. Cabos

What in the world? No thanks.