Teen Mom Amber Portwood Charged With Two Felonies & A Misdemeanor

Teen Mom Amber Portwood Charged With Two Felonies & A Misdemeanor

Amber Portwood is now facing up to three years in jail and up to $10K in fines after her violent actions toward her daughter’s father, Gary Shirley, earlier this year.

The 20-year-old Teen Mom star was officially charged Thursday (November 18) with two counts of felony and one misdemeanor for domestic violence and battery, reports Hollywood Life. The two incidents – occurring August 14, 2009 and July 18, 2010 – took place in the presence of their 2-year-old daughter Leah, and are therefore considered felonies under Indiana law. The misdemeanor, which occurred June 14, 2010, took place away from Leah. Official documents state that Amber’s actions against Gary, 24, included choking, slapping, punching and kicking in the couple’s home.

Recently it was reported that the court had subpoenaed MTV for all Teen Mom raw footage, however, one of the two felony charges is for an incident which never aired on the show.

According to Detective Mitch Carroll, a warrant for Amber will most likely be issues through the Madison Country Prosecutor’s Office. According to the press release, “the affidavit has been submitted to the prosecutor for formal charges. If convicted, Portwood faces up to three years in jail and fines of up to $10,000.”

Last week, Amber opened up about life away from her daughter as baby Leah remains in the care of Gary:

“I feel like everything is spinning out of control,” she told Us. “And I’m trying to put the pieces back together. I have to get myself better so when I get my baby back, she sees her mom as happy as can be.”

Filed under: Amber Portwood

Photo credit: MTV

1. Amy

Hopefully this mother will get her life under control. I thank god that Gary finally got smart enough to remove sweet baby Leah from Amber’s house and care. I hope that Amber is found guilty (considering there’s video evidence, obviously this is highly likely) and put in jail for the sake of Leah’s safety. I think that jail will be a HUGE wake-up call and will be the one thing Amber needs to understand the severity of her actions. If she isn’t jailed, it will be like a slap on the wrist and I doubt she will change her behavior.

2. mackenzie

I hope amber learn her lesson. She really needs help for her anger problems.

3. Carrie

OMG, Leah is beautiful, She can come live with me and my kiddos we’ll take good care of her!

4. JMO

Well that’s what you get for putting your business on national tv!! Glad to see some action was takin this girl needs a reality check.

It’s great that the authorities are taking this serious!

6. Bout time

This girl is so ugly. She loses some weight so suddenly thought she was better than Gary. Takes a fighting class and acts tough? Shes so annoying. I hope they lock her up for good. Gary is a great person and she is an ugly self richious bitch. People loseweight every day honey, your nothing special

7. George McCasland

What is interesting is how long it has taken for Amber Portwood to be charged. If it had been the other way around, he would have been arrested immediately, and any rights to see the child taken away.

Many think he should have defended himself, but legally he could not defend himself as that is considered domestic violence under the Domestic Violence Against Women Act. If he had touched her in defense, she could have had him charged. Men should never defend themselves from an abusive woman, and when the police are called, they should always ask for female officer to be present as they will arrest the women on domestic violence far more often than the male officers.

Properly, he can now take custody of the child, under the same law, but I would be willing to bet that no one, not even his attorney has told him that. He does not have to wait for her to give him the child, he can take the child.

8. beli

hey amber did gary hit u or make you feel like you were worthless or something
    did he do something so you hit him cuz mtv cut out hecka footage