Willow Smith Puts Music Before Math

Willow Smith Puts Music Before Math

Willow Smith‘s school work is suffering. The ten year old daughter of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith is spending more time on tour than in the classroom. Her studies are being put on hold so she can concentrate on her music career and according to The Daily Record she is quoted as saying,

I never really get to go to school because I am always on tour, or with my father. There is a tutor most of the time, but usually I am working so I never get to do the lessons. The worst thing about maths is all the kids are ahead of me because they go to school.”

The pint-sized pop-star credits her parents with inspiring her to become a performer. After watching her mother’s band and adding vocals to one of her father’s rap songs she knew this was her calling.

I was four years old when I recorded a song with daddy and only said a couple of words, and I thought, ‘This is cool.’ It wasn’t supposed to be in the song but he wrote me something at the last minute. I would go with my mom on her tour and look at her and love what she did. I thought, ‘Maybe I should do that.’ So I did. I’m going to make songs to inspire people.”

Her first single Whip My Hair has become a worldwide hit and she has signed with Jay-Z’s record label Roc Nation.

Filed under: Jada Pinkett-Smith,Will Smith,Willow Smith

Photo credit: Fame Pictures

1. Jules

I’m shocked that Will and Jada let her say that.

2. lig

ugh. the more i read about her, the more disgusted i get. will and jada, what are you doing? put these career aspirations on hold until she is older!

3. mackenzie

I guess will and jada cares more about fame. Then willow education. She will need her education. One day.

4. Jolene

Oops, what a slip up.

I guess she should be whipping out books and not her hair back and forth!

6. Tamie

Willow sound unhappy in another interview that I read even She said “Well, famous-ness is awesomeness … but some parts of famous-ness can be … hard. The hardness part is wanting to hang out with your friends when you have to work and make platinum records.” she added, “And your friends come over, and you’re recording, and you’re like, ‘Please let me go with my friends. I don’t wanna stay here!’ But people are relying on you.” Why are they putting that much presser and a 9 year old music for Willow should be about having fun and something she doing on the side not her main focus her education should always come first.

7. mackenzie

she can be a rock star. but she need to set time for school and play

I’m disgusted! I thought will was much better then that. Jada, not so much. I guess greed surpasses your childrens education and her innocence. She can’t even speak properly, poor thing. Shame on her parents!!!

Send this child to school, please. She can pursue a career in showbizz later on in her life, if she still wants it.

10. Rebecca

It seems like Willow doesn’t want to do this. But, I think she is saying these things to sound more like an adult.

and this is when the parents need to prioritize their childs needs, since they clearly haven’t already. if my daughter (who is only 1.5) decides when she’s 11 or how old that she wants to be a performer, whether it be acting, singing, etc – she can spend a few hours a week practicing – but she’s not going to have a “job” before she’s in high school (most likely only during the summers). i understand that willow might want to be famous somedays – but other days, she wants to be a normal little girl and play with her friends. parents shouldn’t jump on their childs dreams at 11 years old and help them become famous. if their child’s dream is still the same in 7-10 years, sure help them out, and if it’s meant to be it will be. but pushing an 11 year old into fame is beyond ridiculous. and depriving a child of their education should be considered ABUSE imo.

12. Anonymous123

By the time Willow is 18 years old, she will be all beauty and no brains. How sad!

hold on. she has one song out???? how can she be always touring and recording when there is nothing to back it up? it’s not like she is some greatly talented child who is a performer. she has a bunch of Loonies who dress her like a show-money and slip some tracks under her mediocre singing voice. I guarrantee you this won’t end good.

14. LaKesha

The Daily Record reported this. It’s interesting which celebrities–celebrity families–this site gives the benefits of a doubt. If this quote were true, CPS would have already been involved!

• Victoria

Honey, please don’t be stupid, please don’t be. CPS have returned kids to homes where they’ve been beaten, neglected, and molested. They don’t care about Willow.

Rehab, illiteracy and a getting knocked up at 16 with the first of many, by a boy named Tyrone or G-Rod in 3…2…1…

Well done Will and Jada. Great parenting.

16? More like 13.

I really dont think the school board would not enforce a young child,s educational needs. People i believe you are all believing inuendo. I am a parent and no real parent would put anything before the well being of their children. For all those thinking that Will and his Wife dont have their finger on the pulse of their children,s life, need to stop reading Gossip . Wake up people stop believing everything you read

18. Lolly

The thing is she has so many connections and so much money behind her that she is a shoe in for a career in the entertainment business for life. She really isn’t going to need the education. Of course, if you want to raise a well rounded child, you should value education so they don’t grow up to be an ignorant, superficial person. But for practicality’s sake, her future is so well secured already, she could ditch school entirely.

• camille

Sure, she could, from the career/money point of view. But school is much more than just preparing you for work – it’s also a place to socialise and a place where you receive an educational foundation that you can expand over the years. Basically school is just another place for children to grow, experiment and become who they are. How sad when this gets sacrificed for an artificial career funded by your parents…

19. Lioness

Lol, people loooove to predict dire consequences for minor infractions. I’m sure ALL of your kids, who are in school ALL the time, are getting straight A’s and you all are doing EVERYTHING in your power to make sure that happens. Feels good to judge other people, isn’t it?

Willow will be fine- she’s not quite the same as the average kid down the block who’s behind everyone else in class, wouldn’t you say? Whether she turns to drugs or whatever else down the road remains to be seen- but something tells me she’ll learn to read and do math in the meantime. Focus on your own offspring, kids…

20. Belinda Barnacle

Scientologists are scary. The Smith family are the modern equivalent of traveling carnies. It’s a testimony to their character that Will & Jada are extremely wealthy and instead of instilling the values of education, they enourage their young daughter to put herself out into the limelight for all the public to dissect and critique. Willow should go to school, she should go to college, and then go and get a graduate degree – god knows the Smiths are one of the only familys left that can afford higher education.

Oh, and I don’t care for my popstars to be pre-pubescent.

What does it really matter? Willow is going to be fine. She is ridiculously wealthy and working to earn more, not failing out of school. I thing we should worry more about kids that dont have secure futures and are actually failing out of school just because they are lazy.

22. Zola

Math is music.

no thats not true she wants to b a singer. thats not rite to even say that she 11 years old. shes young she still got time.