Matt Damon Doesn’t Spank His Kids

Matt Damon Doesn't Spank His Kids

Matt Damon, who raises Alexia, 12, Isabella, 4, Gia, 2, and 3-month-old Stella with wife Luciana, says he doesn’t hit his girls to discipline them.

At the premiere of his new movie True Grit he told People, “I definitely don’t spank ‘em.”

However the actor did give a real walloping to his 14-year-old costar Hailee Steinfeld during the shoot.

“It’s a scene in the movie that needs to be there for a whole host of reasons,” he said. “And so, they just put a big pad on Hailee. And we practiced. And I said, ‘Hailee, does that hurt?’ And she said, ‘I can’t even feel it.’ ”

While on location in New Mexico and Texas his family got to visit him. He said, “They were interested in seeing the horses. So, we got some pictures of them with the horses.”

Asked if it’s tough to control the four girls at home he answered, “Yeah, it’s kind of nuts. The alarm goes off, and [expletive] starts flying.”

Filed under: Matt Damon

Photo credit: Flynet

Of course you don’t tell the public you spank your kids. It’s illegal. But behind close doors, who knows.

2. Amy

i know right who knows…. even though he does seem like he loves his girls and doesnt spank them.

3. JMO

It’s not illegal to spank it’s illegal to beat. People confuse the two.
    I was spanked. I am not sure if I’ll spank my kids. My brother spanks his and when I watch I feel really bad for them. It’s such a touchy subject.

4. Janet

Stella is 7 weeks, not 3 months.

I believe that he doesn’t spank and respect him for it. I have a 3 year old and as tempting as it is, I don’t spank to discipline.

6. Daniella

I don’t have any children yet, but I do know that I will only spank them (such as a swift swat or two on the bottom) if they do something REALLY bad or very dangerous to themselves or others. Then again, I’ll hopefully model my parenting after my mother, who only got angry/scared enough to spank me once in my life when I ran out in front of a car.

After she explained to me why I was spanked, I never did anything like that ever again. The shock of being spanked (and seeing how upset my mum was) deterred all future, thoughtless actions like that one. The same went for my brothers as well, so it can work & not be abusive in the slightest if used properly, rarely & not while the parent is angry.

7. Heart

I was spanked and to be honest, I needed to be. Talking back, slamming doors…oh no! My mom didn’t tolerate that. LOL! I was also talked to as well, my mom EXPLAINED why I was getting spanked. I totally support it, if it’s necessary and I will do the same with mine. I don’t knock people who don’t spank though. You have to do what works for you and your family..

To JMO: I’d like to hear you explain the difference between spanking and beating.

Hitting your child doesn’t teach them anything but to fear you.

• Lioness

To Anonymous, there’s definitely a difference. Spanking doesn’t usually hurt much, or for a long period of time- beatings, on the other hand, are usually laced with malice, are much more painful and take a while to forget. I can count on one hand the number of times I was spanked in my lifetime, but I definitely was. And I never feared my parents, I respected them. What always stuck with me more was my parents’ disappointment in my actions, not the spanking itself. Parents with kids that fear them often display other fearsome, aggressive behaviors that the kids react to- not necessarily spankings.

To me, spanking is just another tool of discipline in the arsenal- you wouldn’t use “time-out” all the time, would you? No, you’d switch it up with other lesson-teachers. And used sparingly, spanking can be very effective.

• antigoniem

Spanking with an open hand on the bottom, not leaving lashes/welts/bruises/broken bones is legal. Hitting a child with an object whether it be a belt/strap, house shoe, extension cord, etc. that may leave the aforementioned injuries is illegal.
      I was spanked in a store for throwing a tantrum over a cheap toy, and I never EVER threw a tantrum , cried, stomped away with my mother ever again. I didn’t stop out of fear of getting spanked, I did it b/c I respected my mother enough to LISTEN and follow given rules. Now I am grateful for anything I get, even the smallest things, and i’m not one to get angry b/c things don’t go my way. That one spanking taught me A LOT more than a time out could ever teach me. People spanked their kids ‘back in the day’ and you didn’t hear about the violence and chaos we hear/read about today.

• Daniella

As I already stated above, I was ‘spanked’ once by my mother for doing something VERY bad that could have gotten me hurt or killed. However, as I did not originally mention, my father (who divorced my mum when I was very young) was a child beater. There is a VAST, almost astronomical difference between the few spankings my brothers & I received from our mother compared to the beatings & abuse our father dished out on us.

Our butts barely hurt for more than a few minutes after mum spanked us (it was her disappointment that hurt the most), but our father’s ‘discipline’ could be felt for hours or days afterwards. In my mind, my mum’s spanking of us does not even remotely compare to our father’s beatings. As a victim of child abuse, I can attest to a simple, proper & very justified spanking of a few swats on the bottom being completely & utterly different than a beating.

I wouldn’t expect a child who gets spanked to say it “doesn’t hurt much.” And how can you hit a child without malice? Why is one type of hitting okay but the other is not?

10. MM

I was spanked a lot growing up. I was a little one with ADD whose parents didn’t know it and didn’t understand why their spankings weren’t working. Getting hit and hurt always just made me angry. I would say that getting hit didn’t teach me to avoid harmful things, because it undermined the idea that if something makes you sad or your parents sad, that is enough to know you shouldn’t do it. My parents emphasis on spanking taught me that feeling sad didn’t matter and that physical pain was the only thing one should be reined in by.

I was spanked and in a way that was considered perfectly acceptable. It destroyed the any relationship I could have ever had with my father. It was demeaning, unloving and avoidable.