James McAvoy Won’t Talk About His Son

James McAvoy Won't Talk About His Son

Seven months after the birth of James McAvoy and Ann Marie Duff‘s baby boy, we still don’t even know his name – and they hope to keep it that way!

When asked about the challenges of being a working dad at a recent press junket, the Atonement star very politely replied:

The hardest thing about being a dad in this business — the best way for me to be a good dad is not to talk about him. I’m so sorry. I realize that you guys are the people to talk to about babies, but if I want to get him papp’d and all that kind of stuff then I can start talking about him. And, if I don’t want to get him papp’d then I can’t talk about him. I’m so sorry. Thanks for understanding.”

Filed under: James McAvoy

Photo credit: Fame

I guarantee he will talk about him at some point but either way, good for him for being mature about it.

2. Izzie

What a way to avoid answering the question.

3. Peta

I agree with him. It’s his right as a parent to do what he feels is best for his child. He may have chosen to work in entertainment, but his child hasn’t.

4. Phoebe

I read somewhere that their boy is named Andrew,which is actually James’ middle name.
    I don’t know if it is true,but it makes sense.

5. caitlin

Who cares about James? He’s not a-lister celebrity. I could care less if I know his son name.

6. Cam

His name is Andrew.

7. Valerie Pie

Caitlin or whatever the hell your name is, if you didn’t care about James or his son, then you wouldn’t have taken time out your pathetic life, to write a comment about how much you DON’T care… And what do you mean he’s not an A-Lister????? LMAO… You’re an idiot and a fool… Actually you know what, you’re right, he’s not an A-Lister, he’s way beyond an A-Lister… Dummy

8. Anon

Is he an A-lister? I never heard of him before?! lol

Caitlin and Anon — He’s not well-known in the U.S., perhaps, which is probably just a reflection of mainstream American tastes. He’s a far, far superior actor to the likes of Ben Affleck or Tom Cruise, whom I’d suspect you would call “A-listers.”

Europeans and the rest of the world certainly consider him a top-name actor, and I’m sure he could NOT care less if some Americans on a celebrity baby website are claiming that they don’t know him.

And, good for him for keeping his family life private. I’m sure they have a beautiful, lovely child.

10. Eglantine

Just shows how silly the american audience is in my opinion. James McAvoy is one of the best actors to come from Great Britain recieving oscar Nominations for his performances in beautifully shot and acted films. I hate to read a comment degraded such a treasure. I think the comment made by caitlin about james not being an a lister is simply based on Ignorance and lets just be honest an unworthy comment. Put him up against your typical Hollywood actors Like Afflek and Adam Sandler we’ll see who gets votes due to acting ability not celebrity status!

I find it very rude that you generalize the whole American population on one stupid person. I happen to be American, and James Mcavoy happens to be my favorite actor. So excuse me when I say I find YOUR comment to be very silly.

11. Anon

“mainstream” americans, “silly” americans. Geez nobody was attacking anyone else’s country were they?? Just goes to show how ignorant europeans can be that when americans don’t know an actor that suddenly we are less superior then you all!! Sorry us mainstream silly americans will bow down to you all now!

12. Juicy Fruit

I’ve been a fan of James McAvoy ever since I saw him in the action film Wanted. Since then I have come to respect him as an enormously talented actor and a genuine nice human being. All those who have worked with him praise his professionalism and wonderful acting ability and this is the reason he is not a household name. James is not one of those fame seeking celebrities. When he is not making or promoting his films, he chooses to live his life simply and quietly (hence the no talking about his family rule). So if that makes him not an “A-lister” so be it. Standards for actors have fallen so low lately it’s probably not worth being on that list anyway.

13. Anonymous2

I completely agree with er…. ‘juicy fruit’ i think thats a very mature answer. How about we all just let him be and praise his work if you must because he truly is a highly talented scottish actor with a very genuine personality that is rare to find within other famouse actors.

• JMacFan

Juicy Fruit and Anonymous2: I agree with both of you 100%. I’m so into James Macavoy right now because (1) he’s a magnificently talented actor, and (2) he’s a genuine, not-hogging-the-limelight kind of celebrity, in other words, a celebrity who shuns the status and treats Hollywood acting simply as work and nothing else. I’ve read dozens of articles about him and they all say the same thing — he’s a dignified person who doesn’t want to sell himself and his family at a cheap price. kudos, James! youtube videos of his interviews are very fun to watch. his Scottish accent is just so nice. he’s a natural comic, too, and very intelligent.
      cheers, everyone!

14. Apple bite

Yeah…He’s a great dad for protecting his son’s childhood. Unlike most clebs’ they …well….show off their babies…like it’s their new premium toy.

• Julie

Some of the A-list celebrities who deal with the paparazzi in this country do the photoshoots with the babies in the magazines to lower the amount of money that the paparazzi can get for the “first shot,” which decreases the chance of the child being bothered/attacked when the leave the house. The money is almost always donated to charity. I know that Pink said she didn’t want to do the photoshoot, but they had paparazzi trying to break into their house, and once she did it, the price for a photo dropped from $250K to $5K. She was just trying to protect her daughter. James McAvoy is very famous, but I believe he lives in England. The paparazzi are still crazy, but it isn’t the same fervor that we’ve got going on in hollywood/LA. I think what he said is very mature, but I don’t think it’s fair to criticize celebrities who live around Hollywood/LA for “showing off” their children, as sometimes it’s in the best interest of the child.

15. Vee

Gahhhh he’s so ridiculously sexy, when I saw him in ‘Becoming Jane’, my heart flipped over twice! Too bad he loves his wife so much and too bad that she’s so sweet and beautiful :(
    He’s not an A-lister because he’s not a super celebrity. Most celebrities/socialites are A-listers and are there for star value, not acting. I hope James never becomes an A-lister, because he is an invaluable actor, and most invaluable actors don’t give a shit about wanting the fame, hence they are never in the limelight of “A-lists” :)

Eh Ann Marie Duff has revealed in a Scottish newspaper that the baby’s name is Brendan, after her father.

17. Ali

I’m an American. I love James McAvoy. He’s my favorite actor. He’s simply brilliant. I think he’d be happy to hear he’s not considered an “a-lister”…whatever that means…maybe it means he doesn’t SELL his baby’s pictures to the highest bidder. Wow. Imagine that. Protecting his child and his private life. He’s wonderful. Way to go, James!!! :D

18. Solitary

I read somewhere that their boy is named Brendan .

19. hope you and your wife are happy and you enjoy your family