Jillian Michaels To Adopt From Africa

Jillian Michaels To Adopt From Africa

Jillian Michaels is one step closer to becoming a mother! The Biggest Loser trainer, who recently announced her decision to leave television to focus on starting a family, is knee-deep in the adoption process.

“I want to start a family,” she told Access Hollywood. “I’d like to take a year off of television and really focus on – I’m in the middle of the adoption process – and really focus on that and hopefully becoming a mother in the next year and putting all my energy into that for a while. And then back to TV later in 2012.”

Describing the process as “an incredible undertaking” the 36-year-old fitness guru explained that she’s currently trying to adopt from Africa:

I’ve completely all of my paperwork; I’ve had all my physicals; I’ve been check by the FBI – you have no idea! Now I wait for a referral. That could be anywhere from six months to a year. I’m in a pilot program for the Democratic Republic of Congo so we’ll see. Then you get your referral and then you have to try to bring your kid back home. So, it’s a process.. but I’m excited for it!

When asked if she’d like a son or a daughter, Jillian responded with a laugh, “I’m 36! Do you hear the clock ticking? As long as there’s a little teeny person with me, I’ll be good.”

In December, Jillian admitted that her work with children on her recently launched show, Losing It, provoked her desire to start her own family: “Shooting Losing It also had a big impact on me. Living with kids, I saw firsthand what I was missing.”

Filed under: Jillian Michaels

Photo credit: Fame

1. erinn

i know it was probably just an unfortunate choice of words, but i had to laugh at her statement “hopefully becoming a mother in the next year and putting all my energy into that for a while” — for a LONG while, lady, like 18 years+ long!

i wish her all the best in her adoption process and becoming a mother. i enjoy watching her on BL and her godaddy commercials are pretty hilarious.

2. Mee-Mee

WHOA! Now that’s quite shocking to hear! A celebrity who’s actually willing to put her child and it’s needs before her career! I thought that i’d never see the day that a celeb would put aside their narcissism and focus on more important matters….. when it’s neccessary. I’ve all ways kinda thought of Ms. Michaels as being overly vain, and way too into herself, but after reading this (hopefully true article), I am so glade to read that I’ve misjudged her. I was wrong.
    Congratulations Jillian. I wish you and your new blessing nothing but the best. Oh, and thanks for adoping from Africa, those kids need all of the help that they can get. I hope to do the same someday……soon.

Mee-Mee@ are you saying that any mother who does not take a year off from work is narcissist? Celebrity don’t have regular 9 to 5 jobs even the once that work spend more time with their kids then regular people with 9 to 5 jobs. I’m not a fan of hers but I am happy for her and I happy that she chose to adopt because there are so many kids out there who need families.

• Vikki

Mee mee may not mean that, but I do. If you cannot ( if it’s financially possible) take at least a year off of work for your child, you are indeed a narcissistic, selfish woman who is only interested in her “fulfillment”!

Sad , pathetic and your children suffer. Obviously some HAVE to work, but I can honestly say 70% choose to do it for their own benefit. Children thrive with their parent at home. And yet another report stating that children who are overweight are usually products of moms who “work” outside the office.

Finally jillian there are loaded of kids in the USA that need homes.

• Grace

If you’re speaking in terms of one parent being home – not necessarily the mother – then I agree with you. I think it’s totally unfair when people assume the mother should be the one to stay home, but I do think at least one parent should be home. Unless of course the parents truly can’t afford it (and when I say “can’t afford it” I don’t mean can’t afford it while still living in a huge house, driving expensive cars and having tons of expensive material possessions. I’ve heard so many people say they can’t afford it when they’re leading an extravagent lifestyle.)

• Vikki

Yes I am referring to either parent. Preferably the mother. There was a great article on lil sugar a couple weeks ago.. The author basically stated that the majority of women who work, do not have to. She was ripped to shreds in about 40% of the comments. I think it was honest, and the criticism came from and still comes from guilt.

There are those who must work , but not to maintain a certain level of lifestyle.

I strongly disagree with your “preferably the mother” statement. I don’t believe for a second that women are automatically better caretakers for children than men.

• Vikki

I stated a parent, but preferably a mother. Particularly during the first few formative years. Any pediatrician will tell you that there is a natural sense of nurturing between child and mother. This does not occur with the father until the age of 3,4.

Fathers are incredibly important, I worshipped mine, but I needed my mom moreso.

• Victoria

Probably because she was WRONG, majority of people in the world are not rich, they have to work. Bills come every month like clock work and not everyone can pay bills on one income alone.

• Lisa b

HuH. To what are you referring? A child needing their mothers nurturing? You make no sense.

Stop it with this we have to pay the bills cr*p. No one said anything about people HAVING TO WORK, they are referring to those who work to maintain an unnecessarily luxurious lifestyle.

God you “working mothers” are so touchy.

• annoyed

and how many have you adopted from the US, vikki? kids all over the world need homes and adopting as a single woman from the US is very difficult.

congrats, jillian!!

• Vikki

THanks for asking. I have two biological, and I adopted my son Jon when he was 8 and my daughter lily when she was 7.

• Dazzy

Fantastic! How wonderful for you & your family. Personaly, I have no children as yet, my husband & I are just starting to feel that we’re in a good place emotionaly & financially, and for the past year or so, we’ve been talking seriously about adopting 2 or 3 older children (possibly siblings) about 8 & upwards. And like Jillian, we hope to adopt form Africa, as well as from here & from Canada, my hubby’s birth country. We’ll just have to see what happens won’t we?

• Vikki

Dazzy- congrats. It is tough work, I adopted the two older ones when I was in my early thirties. My husband and I were both adopted by great families and although I knew I could have children biologically, I just wanted to offer someone the same amazing opportunity I had. We chose to adopt a brother and sister who were older and difficult to place bc of their age and the fact they did not want to be separated. We started the process when they were 5,6 respectively then finalized it almost 19 months later.

Then two months later surprise surprise, I became pregnant with twins!

I did not mean to sound like I was casting dispersions at anyone who adopted outside of the US. It’s just really sad when you know there are great kids who need love in your own backyard.

Btw we are quite the “American” family. I am black, my husband white and our son and daughter we adopted are half Chinese and half Jamaican. You can imagine the looks we get;)

Good luck

So there “annoyed”

You shut her up vikki. Good for you

• annoyed

and i adopted my daughter from Ethiopia and there are many more children there that need homes than in the US.

• annoyed

and i’m still annoyed. children in US foster care get free education and free health care–way more than children overseas. a child who ages out of foster care can still go to college for free, qualify for assisted living, get food stamps and health insurance. a child who ages out in Ethiopia is put out on the streets to fend for themselves.

children everywhere need homes and i think it’s wonderful you went through the foster care program but a child in ethiopia has a much more dire future than an american child.

• Anon

But As AMERICANS we should feed and clothe our starving kids as a priority. Sorry but it’s the totalitarian African gov’t that takes any support given to their own people.

I am worried about the kids here and so should all US tax payers. Your generalization that the foster system works, is surely outdated.

As Americans, we can scarcely imagine the degree of poverty and desperation in Africa. Why are children born on one continent, or on one particular side of an imaginary line (border) more deserving of a life of dignity and hope than children born on another? That comment p*&sses on the beautiful sentiment behind the act of adoption. We are all brothers and sisters under God, no matter what our passports say.

We are not all brothers and sisters under God. I don’t believe in the same God as a Muslim or someone who is Jewish. I don’t discount them either. But as an American I firmly believe that we have to start at home. When you can end the suffering of your brother or sister in your own backyard, why is it my responsibility to take care of those in other parts of the world.

I am sorry but I worry about children being born into poverty in the richest nation on earth. It is not acceptable and that is my concern. You are deluded to think borders are imaginary. This one world concept is a fantasy. Of course you are affected when you see children dying in the streets in Africa, but it’s happening HERE. Are we supposed to turn a blind eye towards their plight simply because it is YOUR belief that we cannot comprehend the suffering in third world countries? Are you that delusional to think that the suffering of a child in Appalachia is any less painful that that of a child in Somalia?

4. caitlin

Actually I was watching an interview with Jillian .she said that she didn’t want to get pregnant because the baby will ruin her fit body. I think that a narcissist thing to say. She can take a year off because she only has two show to film nothing much.

Yeah she said it in a print interview and confirmed it on Access Hollywood .She was overweight IN HER 20′S aND DOESNT WANT TO GET PREGNANT BECAUSE SHE WILL GET FAT./

She was actually misquoted in the original article. She told them that she CAN’T get pregnant, due to PCOS and endometriosis, and when the interview was published, it seemed like she was saying she WON’T get pregnant. I really feel bad for her, with all of the criticism she’s gotten over that.

• mslewis

NO!! Sorry, but this woman said she DID NOT WANT TO GET PREGNANT BECAUSE IT WOULD MAKE HER FAT!! She said it on film so she was not misquoted! Also, how nice of her to decide to “focus” on her child for awhile. What’s she gonna do the rest of the 18 years?

This woman has issues and is totally sick in the head. Now she’s going to adopt a poor, innocent child who will have issues of being Black and raised by a White mother already and then the mother will have body issues to pass down to this child!!! I feel sorry for this baby. Better it should stay in Congo and be raised by a nice family there.

So what. She doesn’t want to get pregnant. A lot of women don’t want to get pregnant. At least she acknowledges that fact and chooses not to do it instead of going ahead with a pregnancy and then having feelings of ill will toward the child. I don’t know why people have to complain about the way others build their families. Just as adoption isn’t for everyone, neither is having a biological child. Leave her be and let her live her life the way she sees fit. It doesn’t affect you at all, so why are you so upset?

• Vikki

Are you serious? Better in the Congo? I am a black child adopted by white parents. I was raised in a white neighborhood, have both black and white and purple friends. If the child has the chance to be loved and nurtured, who cares what color the parents are.
          You have issues ms Lewis!

Better it should stay in the war torn Congo? I dont think its Jillian with the issues around here :(

Vikki,Grace and Mee-Mee I think all the of you are narcissistic to think your way is better and the only way a child should be raised and how are the children suffering have you meet them all?

Awww do you feel guilty about your choices?!

I agree with them

• Vikki

I can only speak for myself here, you have a right to your opinion as do all of us. From experience as a former educator, the children who had one parent at home performed better academically, were more confident and better behaved. There was an innate sense that would be held accountable for their actions.

On the other hand the students who were products of a family where neither parent remained at home lacked mature thought processes and had a greater sense of entitlement.

I cannot dispute the experiences I witnessed for over 10 years . I apologize if it offends anyone.

7. Jennie

I completely agree with Vikki. I have seen it firsthand with my own children. I was unable to stay home with my two oldest because both my husband and I HAD to work. Not to maintain a lifestyle, mind you but to get by day to day. Then my husband got a really nice job and I was able to stay home with the boys and we had two more boys. The difference between my two oldest and my two youngest was noticeable. My younger two are more secure and better behaved. My older two eventually got squared away and adjusted but it took a little while. So I would certainly suggest that if one parent CAN stay home, even if it takes adjusting the budget and cutting out a few things that you don’t absolutely need, then do it. Its well worth it in the end.

Even if you DO enjoy getting out of the house to go to work, you will be able to do it eventually. I’m able to work now while the boys are all at school but I’m so glad I made the choice to stay home and be a full time mommy when money allowed it. I honestly don’t understand why more mothers and fathers don’t want (again if they CAN). If their careers come first, then perhaps they shouldn’t be having children if they can’t put the time and effort into them. That’s my opinion on that matter. Children ALWAYS come first.

• Tara

That was articulated perfectly. I chose to give up my career to stay at home with my son. He is only 3 but I definitely notice a difference between his behavior and confidence level, when compared to some of the children of my friends who work outside the home.

I am not saying my son is better than those of my fellow moms. However there
      Is certainly a level of respect and confidence that I notice in him (inasmuch as one can tell in a 3 yr old boy)

I agree with tara. Jennie you said it perfectly

Thx

8. Adair

Every child deserves a permanent home where they are loved and safe. Saying an American child can grow up in the limbo of our Foster Care system and be fine because the government pays for their health care and education is a tragically heartless. These children do “age out” of the system. How about the fact that they have no place to call “home” when their roommates are going home for summer break? Let’s pray they all have big goals and can make it without parents to back them up. We all become part of society.