Willow Smith’s Parents Encourage Her To Work Hard

Willow Smith's Parents Encourage Her To Work Hard

Willow Smith opens up about her rising stardom in an interview with Teen Vogue. The Whip My Hair singer says her parents, Jada Pinkett-Smith and Will Smith, encourage her to work hard.

“Whenever I don’t feel like working, they say, ‘You don’t want that career? You have to work hard,’” the 10-year-old says. “They think I should keep working harder and harder.”

Willow, who will be touring with Justin Bieber, insists they are not mean stage parents.

“It’s pretty much a regular family,” she explains. “At dinner we talk about ‘What did you do today? What did you wear today?’ Not anything about work.”

She adds, “They aren’t strict. They won’t be like, ‘Willow, clean up your room!’ They’ll be like, ‘Willow, will you please clean up your room?’ And I’ll be like, ‘OK,’ and do it.”

Willow also has a team of fashion stylists and hairdressers that she refers to as “my crew.”

However, she’s the one who makes the final decision.

She states, “I wear anything I feel like. If I want to put on a pair of Converse with a pencil stuck through them, I will.”

Being famous does have her drawbacks but she’s not deterred.

You can pick how famous you want to be. If you don’t work hard, then you aren’t going to have the success that you want. But if you work hard and dig in, then you are going to have the success that you want.”

Filed under: Willow Smith

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

1. Alma

here you have a clear pattern, of maturing before time that will push this little girl, later when becoming 18, to try to live her childhood, because she is not allowed to do so now. Feeling so sorry for her. Girls at her age still playing with dolls, and here you have her holding so much responsabilities on her shoulders.

2. anonymous

she may say they are not mean stage parents but their comments to her clearly tell a different story… quote-Whenever I don’t feel like working, they say, ‘You don’t want that career? You have to work hard,’” the 10-year-old says. “They think I should keep working harder and harder.”-unquote-
    What 10 year old should be pushed to work harder and harder?
    What 10 year old should be worrying about wanting a career? and what 10 year old needs a “team of fashion stylists and hairdressers ” and why would her fashion team BE HER CREWS… not very age appropriate friends….

3. P!nk

And if her father wasn’t Will Smith, she’d be a nobody.

4. Anonymous123

Sounds to me like Will and Jada are doing a little too much pushing!

5. Rebecca

This family is a joke gone bad.

I hope they are pushing her to make straight A’s with her home schooling as well!!!

7. Jules

I just feel so bad for those kids.

8. anonymous

My 7 year old wanted to watch Karate Kid (which I had basically banned from our home due to tired of celebrity kids getting all the parts and none of the talent) I gave in and watched it last night… Jaden Smith’s acting was horrible and I can only imagine how horrible Willow will be in ANNIE remake….
    I am sure SURI will be the next big star…. LOL

Stop hating, the Karate Kid was very good and Jaden did a very good Job. So what if you and your kid didnt want to see the movie. Suri will more end up like Miley Cyrus or Britney spears and out of controll seeing that she is nothing but a spoiled brat. She’s not the ont to blame though, her parents will. You must be racist.

9. Jai

why can’t the end of the title be …work hard in school. Seriously

her parents need to let her be a child. this is so sad she is only 10…

11. Venni

Unbelievable. At dinner they talk about “what did you wear?” — the.shallowest.family.ever.

12. do-be-fooled

Please stop with, if her parents wasn’t Will and Jada Smith. Most celeb. children go into the business because of their parents. Willow is no different.

From my understanding, Willow is saying when she doesn’t feel like working…her parents would remind her..if she wants the life of a celebrity you need to work for it and you need to work hard for it. Is this right maybe not. Is she too young maybe…but I wish her well and hope her parents are doing everything to keep her grounded and hopefully she will be a great adult.

She means that sometimes she doesn’t want to work and her parents remind and push her?What’s wrong with telling your kids to work harder?Umm hello a commitment is a commitment!It’s just like if your kid was playing socccer and didn’t want to show up to the practices or games.You would encourage them to wok harder?Willow is a cutie anyway!

14. Carey

If we look further we’ll see that Willow doesn’t really work. And why she would care about education when she is already doing what she wants to do for life?

★★★★★Something unexpected surprise

[ w w w . s h o e s f o r k i n g . c o m ]

very good web,believe you will love it.

16. Ondine

These poor kids, denied their childhood and earning a living at their young ages. Isn’t this what happened to Michael Jackson? I think the parents are too busy being movie stars and dragging their children into that lifestyle. How much better for the kids if the parents would allow them to be children until adulthood. Success is one thing but these kids clearly have no talent and are riding on their parents’ coattails. Take away the last name of Smith and I bet we would never hear another word about them. Too bad the parents don’t put the children and their childhood and upbringing first. No, they are too busy w/ hair straightening and plastic surgery and fancy clothing and strutting around town w/ their famous family. It’s nothing short of shameful the way the parents pimp these kids out.

17. XYZ

Child abuse (in disguise) anyone? Smb shoot WILL&JADA, definitely they’re not fit to be parents.

So sick of this family. Blech……

19. CamilaGB

Doesn’t anyone realize they are abusing her? Taking away her childhood? She will always be capable of being famous for she will always be Will Smith’s daughter, but why now, when she should still be playing with dolls? She can always have the fame and the singing but not her childhood. There should be a law against it. What a shame, society.

20. JMO

The family is not abusing her!

I think there are many children who go into the business at a young age and come out fine. Look at the Olsen twins. Despite one having an eating disorder they’ve maintained a pretty low status of as much normalcy as they can and do very well for themselves.

Dakota Fannin is another example of a child who began working at a very young age and at 16 she is very laid back and not at all into finding that A-list status.

My feeling though is that you have to take things Willow says witha grain of salt. This is a child and they can miscontstrue conversations into sounding more harsh then they are. I’m sure Willow is a fine student and does work hard. I’m sure Will and Jada are proud of what Willow is doing but I don’t believe they are sitting there telling her you do this or that’s it be a bum!

I hope though she does get a childhood and has fun. Kids of entertainers do have it a bit easier as they can get into the business easily even without having the talent. I think Jaden did fine in Pursuit of Happyness. But I saw him on Ellen’s bday show and he seemed now a bit biter about his sister’s career. So I hope the kids dont make life a competition about who is doing what and doing it better. That’s my only concern.

• Victoria

I don’t think they’re being abused but sometimes people forget to remember that the Olsen twins, Dakota Fanning, Raven Symone, and alot of other child stars didn’t have to deal with the media the same way kids today do and also that these kids had parents who were not famous; When Willow & Jaden aren’t in the spotlight they are still in the spotlight because of who their parents are. Not to mention Willow especially is signed to a very serious label, not Nickelodeon and not Disney.

I’d never crush anyones dreams, but I just think at this moment Jayden and Willow are too young. They’re dealing with a totally different media scrutiny then child stars in the 90′s had to deal with. People say that they’re just going after their dreams, but I’m like we’ve all at young ages wanted things and had dreams but that doesn’t mean we were old enough or responsible enough to deal with the responsibilities actually having those wants and dreams entailed.

I have been saddened watching these children on interviews, talk shows, and how they have little respect for adults. The way they both speak shows the ghetto that their mother is like. Willow smacking her gum during her radio show. So riduculous!!! It shows the home training, NO CLASS! Their father is from a different seed, and made a very big mistake in marrying Jada from the get go, and I am sure his mother felt the same. You truly know who wears the pants in the family. Hopefully they will guide their children to want less and give more since they have their parents paying for them to be in the movies, and paying their way through their stardom. They didnt earn it, or work for it, anyone that has famous parents, the parents pay for them to get their recognition as well. Crazy, but its how it is. If they didnt have the parents they have, Jay Z wouldnt know Willow, and thats BS that he didnt know who she was, Will Smith set all that up. Let her sing with out any music, cant do it! Whip fake hair! Jaden looks so thugish, what parent wants their child to represent that style of look?? Jada Pinkett of course. What a disgrace, but I knew she would think that was cute. These kids grew up with a silver spoon, and she wants them to look like they grew up in the Hood! What a MESS!

What’s funny to me is that all the comments are soooo hypocritical 1st you have the Haters saying “oh if she(they) weren’t Will & Jad’a kid(s) they wouldn’t have these opportunities” and 2nd (Nonreaders) saying “Oh they make them work to hard, taking away childhood blah bla, blah..” She clearly is saying that “I Do want this and my Parents make sure I work Hard for this!” There are day’s that all you parent’s don’t have energy to do all the things you have to do..But you chose to be a parent and it’s HARD Work! #thatisall

Her arms look freakishly long!!!