Billy Ray Cyrus: “Hannah Montana Destroyed My Family”

Billy Ray Cyrus: "Hannah Montana Destroyed My Family"

In an emotional new interview with GQ magazine, Billy Ray Cyrus reveals that he regrets signing on to the show that made his daughter Miley a teen superstar.

Asked about Miley’s start on Disney’s Hannah Montana, Billy Ray vents, “[it] destroyed my family… the damn show destroyed my family… It’s all sad.”

“I’d take it back in a second,” adds the singer, who split from Miley’s mom Tish last year. “For my family to be here and just everybody be okay, safe and sound and happy and normal, would have been fantastic. Heck, yeah. I’d erase it all in a second if I could.”

Though Billy Ray once famously claimed to be Miley’s friend above her father, he now admits that was a mistake.

“I should have been a better parent. I should have said, ‘Enough is enough – it’s getting dangerous and somebody’s going to get hurt.’ I should have, but I didn’t… Honestly, I didn’t know the ball was out of bounds until it was way up in the stands somewhere.”

Making references to the tragically short lives of stars like Kurt Cobain, Anna Nicole Smith and Michael Jackson, Billy Ray says he is still very concerned for his daughter.

“I’m scared for [Miley]. She’s got a lot of people around her that’s putting her in a great deal of danger. I know she’s 18, but I still feel like as her daddy I’d like to try to help. At least get her out of danger. I want to get her sheltered from the storm. Stop the insanity just for a minute.”

Filed under: Billy Ray Cyrus,Miley Cyrus

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

oh please i don’t even know where to start with this statement!

Making all this public probably won’t help much.

Rolling your eyes is all ya could do!!!

4. Courtney

he’s looking a gifthorse in the mouth here. Miley was going to be messed up weather she did Hannah Montana or not being the child of a celebrity is never easy.

It’s a little too late, Billy Ray! You should have felt this way years ago.

6. Lucia R

Wait a minute . . . he is talking about the show that HE also starred in, right? Because of course, it was all Disney’s fault.

7. Kay

Billy Ray got just as much out of Hannah as Miley did if not more his music got a new venue to play on when Miley did the VF and the pole dancing in front of Kids mind you her parents could have said enough but the didn’t so I’m sorry to say but Billy Ray you and your Wife Destroyed your Family

8. avery

Billy ray cant blame the show for his daughter behavior. He’s the one to blame for not teaching miley how to handle the limelight. I hate when parents blame other stuff for their child wild behavior. Hilary duff was a Disney star she didn’t act out like miley.

• Lucy

I think that he IS saying that too. He flat out admits: “I should have been a better parent.” Do I think that talking about this in public is going to help his daughter? No. But maybe he’ll step up a little now. Especially in regards to his other daughter.

Yeah blame it on the show now. It’s the crappy way she was allowed to handle her fame that destroyed her, not the “damn show.” She’s nothing but trash now and a very bad influence, and NO, HM had nothing to do with that. It’s so easy to look around and blame a tv show, for how stupid that girl turned out to be.

10. Peta

NOW I know why his name had been trending on Twitter yesterday!

It’s very sad to see an other out of control young star. I actually feel bad for Billy I’m sure he loves his daughter and only wants the best for her. God bless him and his family and may there be better days ahead.

12. Angela

Wow … just Wow!

He said if he could turn back the hands of time, he ‘d a better daddy, sounds like a blablabla bell in my ears. Now his lil’ Noah is going on the same way as Miley. Sorry but lessons seems not to be learned very well!

14. JMO

A show doesn’t ruin your family, you ruin your family!

I’m sure he wasnt thinking this when Disney was passing out his paycheck now that HM is over I guess the pay has stopped and he realized he has no career w/out his daughter!

I hope Miley doesn’t spin out of control like some of the other ladies have done (although it seems like she has a bit). She may be 18 but she needs parents and they need to find a way to keep her grounded. And Miley needs to remember no matter what even if she didn’t choose it she was and still is a role model to millions of little girls.
    If fame is too much it’s time to take a step back. If your a good of enough singer/actress that career will always be there in the end.

15. AnnieMouse

Aww…this breaks my heart…my achey-breaky heart…I just don’t think it understands…
    I think if a show can “destroy” one’s family, maybe one’s priorities were in the wrong place…but hind sight’s 20/20 I suppose!

I just read this interview in People Magazine and in reference to Disney and his family’s destruction this narcissist used the quote “some gave all”. How incredibly disrespectful of our military that he is using this quote that is commonly used for fallen soldiers – how dare he! This speaks volumes……

17. vivien leigh

I wonder why MJ had to die so scandalous death but Liz Taylor-will not and why Whitney Houston had to almost loose her life because of drugs but Aretha Franklin-not and why Miley C. has bad friends and is in danger but Dolly Parton- not…Well? Cause everybody has a head on his shoulders to think with. I dont think its just Mileys fault but also not only somebodys else.

Wah wah wah! All the way to the bank..right? Like hard working parents feel any of HIS pain?? Mortage payments, utilities, College tuition..THAT’S real agony! Not anything he and his privledged family is going through even qualifies! He AND his family gave their souls for fame and fortune. THIS is what you get back! NOTHING is free!!!!

Pathetic white trash family!

21. TDfaninTX

I feel bad for him. No one is perfect. We all make mistakes as parents but his are made in front of the entire world with everyone judging him. He is admitting many mistakes in the article people! You guys are brutal!

22. Sci

If the old one hit wonder was any kind of a father he wouldn’t be having these problems, but he was too busy running after the elusive fame he didn’t take the time to raise his child, now he blames a tv show, be a man you a-hole