Jenelle Evans: Handing Over My Son Was The Right Thing To Do

Jenelle Evans: Handing Over My Son Was The Right Thing To Do

It’s been a tough year for 19-year-old Jenelle Evans, but eight months after handing her son Jace over to his grandmother, the Teen Mom 2 star knows it was the right thing to do.

“When he is older, I will tell him I was really young and I couldn’t put a roof over my own head, let alone his,” she tells Us Weekly.

Jenelle and her mother, Barbara Evans – whose tense relationship was made all too evident on the show – are now working together to raise 1-year-old Jace. Barbara cares for her grandson after working full-time at a department store, while Jenelle is taking film-studies classes at a local community college.

Though the young mother craves custody of her son, she realizes that at this point in her life she just isn’t ready:

Once I get a job, save money and have my own place for three months, then I’ll bring my mom to court.

Her mother says she is happy with the custody arrangement for now: “Jace wasn’t asked to be born,” says Barbara, 57. “Somebody has to take care of him, and it’s going to be me. I don’t resent it. I love him to death.”

Filed under: Jenelle Evans

Photo credit: Us Weekly

1. Janna

…… Not really. It’s more like she WOULDN’T do it or didn’t WANT to do it, not COULDN’T do it.

The only good part of her storyline is that it’s good for people to see that it’s not always the Dad that’s the deadbeat. Sometimes the Mom can’t get her act together and “man up”.

Exactly, she can tell him all she wants to when he’s older but he can actually go back and watch and see how she put partying and her boyfriend before him. She is an idiot. Poor Jace!

I doubt she could of put a roof over their heads…after all she was underage and it’s extremely hard a high school grad just out of high school to get a job and make enough money to support not only yourself but also a kids. Which is exactly why there shouldn’t be young parents because DUH you can’t support them. Both the mom and dad are wayyyyyyyyy to young to be parents they are still kids themlseves! they’re still learning about life! It’s so sad when boys and girls just think about sex and end up bringing another innoncent life, like a baby!

Don’t sleep around! OR have as many condoms and vasetomies as possible people!

2. Tola

I am glad MTV is showing this so other girls can see what some teens with babies go thru. Babies are hard work and you have to gve up so much of your personal life for a child. Most people as ADULTS are able and willing, but its just too much for most teens. I am glad she understands whatis BEST for her child. Its not ideal cause I really thing her and her Mom needs help. Her mom seems to bring a lot of the problems on but I see why she is so angrey. I hope at one point they all can get along cause you can see now how Jace is being effected by the fights

Next time keep your legs closed.

It’s called, adoption. Why can’t people step outside themselves and realize what’s best for the baby BEFORE it’s born. There would have been a loving family out there for him. Barbara does alright I guess, but his life could be a whole lot better. What a selfish beotch!

You’re so right! I was adopted and its sad how so many women out there can’t give birth to a child and this immature, selfish “mother” thinks that she can take care of him when she can’t. I don’t know why her mother didn’t even suggest that knowing her own child was a screw up and now she is the one taking care of him. Not that he even realizes yet, but there is a lot of drama in his life right now and he could be with a nice, loving family. Yea I am sure she cares about and loves him but she clearly loves herself more.

5. rachel s

IDK? Jenelle’s mom is kinda a nut job, but was right on the show the other night when she said all Jenelle cared about was boys. It breaks my heart to watch Jace cry when his mommy leaves.

I don’t know how much of this show is staged though. I have noticed a lot of times that it appears that way. Example: Barbara invited Jenelle to Jace’s party, and in the background you see a 4 wheeler box. It was a box to the 4 wheeler Jenelle gave Jace at his party, like a week later. So obviously the scene had been staged. Pretty lame if you ask me. MTV probably tells Barbara to act like a crazy bitch to Jenelle.

I noticed this week that Kieffer had no facial hair at the beginning of the episode, but he did have it for the rest of the show. It was perplexing.

6. mackenzie

Janelle is just lazy and ungrateful. She cares more about her boyfriends and weed. I don’t see the mother and son bond with Janelle and Jace.

The four wheeler was Jenelle’s present for Jace for this birthday. She took it over there to hide it until his birthday party. It wasn’t given to him until the actual party if you watched the show.

okay I admit Janelle is not the best mother in the world but her mother was not the best role model either !!! Never once did I see on that show were her mother showed her what to do as mother or even give her a complement . So as the old Saying goes you learn from what you Know and this what Janelle has done , Her mother never gave her a chance to be the mother and took over right from the begin . So ask yourselves the ones that claim Janelle is Lazy and Selfish if you were in her shoes wouldn’t have done the same thing . She has never said that she does not love that baby but this about her get her life on track so that she can raise her son and yes her mother has to allow this to happen as well, because there will be more dysfunction in this already dysfunctional family !

okay i literally live 10 minutes from jenelle’s moms house and i say they BOTH need a trip to the mental hospital.

10. Lioness

Jenelle’s mom is always criticizing her for not being a good mother/role model, but it’s like the pot calling the kettle black. When she’s steadily picking fights and screaming her head off at Jenelle, does she think Jace is closing his eyes and ears? She’s teaching him that the only way to resolve to things is to YELL AND YELL LOUDLY. And that’s only what we see- we don’t know what goes on off-camera.

Jenelle is no angel, but it appears to me that she’s had a terrible example to follow. Neither of them are fit role models for Jace in my eyes.

I think ANY female who gives up on their child whether its physical emotional or otherwise is not a mother. If you prefer to be with a man over your own child the child doesn’t need you. It always amazes me how selfish some women are! It takes more than opening up your legs to give birth or deliver via c-section to be a mother! Grow up jenelle and all others like you!

12. mackenzie

According to kailyn her mother wasn’t a caring mother toward her. Yet she still raise and loves Isaac she had two jobs and going to collage. Like I said before Janelle is lazy and selfish who choose her boyfriend and pot over jace.

13. Shirelle

I don’t think she should have given Jace to her mother. Because 1 her mothers CRAZY and I swear she thinks Jace is her child and not her grandchild. She should have kept that child herself or gave him up for adoption.

14. JMO

Jenelle’s mother is just as much of a wack job as Jenelle is! I’m not sticking up for Jenelle but the mother does nothing but bash criticize her and talk down to her. She acts like she birthed Jace! That being said the whole show is staged left to right! I watch it bc it’s my guilty pleasure but the only thing real about this show is the fact these girls do have babies! Everything else I’m pretty confident MTV stages each and every scene and drama that goes on (minus Leah’s daughters health issues).
    I still don’t think the girls deserve to be plastered on magazines but atleast this one is somewhat real, a girl admits that being a teen mom is hard instead of “were so happy and in love and thinking about getting married and having more babies!”
    I hope Jenelle gets her act together for her son. He deserves better.

I honestly think Jenelle’s mom is verbally abusive towards her daughter. She has cursed at her several times, and constantly puts her down. I think there’s a difference with Kailyn’s mom where it was more emotional neglect than the aggressive behavior Jenelle’s mom exhibits. Her mother wouldn’t let her take her son out of the house, to see the fireworks on fourth of july. She’s constantly told she’s a terrible mother… and I think when someone is verbally abused in that way they start to believe the insults. I’m sure Jenelle is thinking “I’m such a terrible mother I can’t even do this.” Yes, she does escape to boys and marijuana, but she’s not given a similar situation to the other girls: a support system, confidence in her role as the mother, and control over her child even if she doesn’t have custody. Her father abandoned her family when she was 12 years old. That’s different from your father never being involved like Kailyn’s experience- not worse, just different. No, Jenelle is not one of those mothers who is fighting through all of her difficult experiences to make absolutely sure she takes care of Jace no matter what, but I can’t help but wonder that if she was given everything that Chelsea is (who, in my opinion is also lazy for not graduating school on time when her father is paying for everything and she has a boyfriend in the house with her) if she would succeed.

I agree with the people who point out how bad of an influence Jenelle’s mom is. I really think any of Jenelle’s issues stem from the poor parenting Barbara has given her. I don’t know why Barbara is like that, maybe HER parents sucked, but Barbara is definitely the root of Jenelle’s problems.

Also, I was adopted, and adoption is not necessarily the right answer, either. Adoptive parents can be just as bad/clueless about how to raise a kid as biological parents. And, with completely different sets of genes, there is a possibility that there will be absolutely no common ground or understanding between the adopted child and adoptive family. They can be on completely different intellectual levels, and all kinds of things. I could write a lot about this. But this isn’t the place for it.

I was a teen mom, had my first son five days before I turned 18. I was blessed with loving, supportive parents that helped me to grow into the woman I am today. They did not put me down or make me feel like I couldn’t raise my child. I was the parent, they were the grandparents. I lived in their home until I was 19, and from there, I fully supported my child (later I had other children). When a teen faces pregnancy and motherhood, it makes a huge difference to have a supportive parental system behind them. It is frustrating to see Jenelle floundering, but then again, her mother is ALWAYS harping on what a bad mother she is, which only perpetuates the situation. I think it is noble that she is taking care of the baby, but, she needs to also help raise her daughter to womanhood, and she has not done that. Another thing that ticks me off is Kailyn’s mother. There is no WAY my mother would have me staying with a boy that doesn’t treat me well and I find it downright sad that she has to be subjected to living in that situation. Kailyn’s mother ought to be ashamed of herself.

18. S.B.

There are times when adoption is appropriate but the automatic “put the baby up for adoption so they’ll have a great life” has it’s limit. There are no guarantees either way, but there are only certain types of babies people are looking to snatch up, not some unlimited pool of families waiting. There are many children (even babies) in the system who stay in the system for years or worse, are never adopted. At any rate, my mom was 19 when she had my oldest brother and had another a year after, she wasn’t rich but all three turned out fine. It’s equal parts will, hard work and priorities. Might as well be honest and say, “I don’t WANT to be a mother”. My grandmother (not her choice) at barely a teen, yes there was struggle but if you saw where everyone is today (despite racism in employment, being born poor, etc) they made it through with the same temptations for men, desire to party and all that. My sister is a teen mom and she’d do anything BUT give up her son, same with the dad.

19. JMO

remember it’s also tv. So we don’t see what goes on behind the camera’s. And we didn’t see how Barbara raised Jenelle prior to Jace coming along. She seems loving to Jace but to me it sounds like she decided she wanted a second chance with Jace over worrying about her daughter.
    I always take what appears on this show with a grain of salt.
    Kailyn’s mother seems less then enthusiastic to be Isaac’s grandmother. Even though I wasn’t a teen mom it’s sad to think you don’t have support from your parents at any age. It’s hard to be a mom whether your 16, 25, or 30!

Has anyone ever considered that Janelle’s father did not abandon Janelle but was driven away by Barbara. Just watch how possessive she is of Jace and how she emotionally batters Jenelle everytime she comes to the house.
    I wish Jenelle would realize this and go see her dad. I believe her mother brainwashed Janelle regarding her dad and will do the same with Jace as gets older. Her relationship with her mom is unhealthy, I’ll bet her dad would welcome her with open arms and this is a young woman who desperately needs a support system. Otherwise, I’m afraid we’ll be reading in five years that she’s either in jail or overdosed.