Jillian Michaels Reveals What Really Led Her To Consider Adoption

Jillian Michaels Reveals What Really Led Her To Consider Adoption

When Jillian Michaels of NBC’s The Biggest Loser told Women’s Health that she planned to adopt a child from Africa instead of getting pregnant because “I can’t handle doing that to my body,” she was heavily critcized (to say the least) and accused of portraying pregnancy as “some sort of ‘disease’ that women should avoid.” But in an interview with The New York Times, Michaels finally explains why for her, it seemed that adoption was the best option.

“The reality is that I have endometriosis, and I most likely couldn’t get pregnant,” reveals Michaels.

“I’ve had the X-rays, my tubes are closed, the uterine lining is too think, blah, blah, blah,” says the fitness advocate. “I was ashamed about it because I thought I’m supposed to be the healthiest woman in the world, and what does that say about me if I can’t have kids of my own. It was insecurity, which I have to work on.”

A source close to Jillian says that the star, who normally opts to keep her personal life private, was compelled to set the record straight after the negative comments and feedback she received just didn’t seem to stop.

Now, with her condition out in the open, Michaels’ hope is that she can help remove some of the stigma that many women feel when struggling with infertility.

Filed under: Adoptions,Jillian Michaels

Photo credit: Fame

Sorry, I don’t buy this. I think she just didn’t like the flack she received.

Everybody is different, but endometriosis does not necessarily mean natural children are out of the question. I’ve had endo for years and like Jillian, thought that “I most likely couldn’t get pregnant”. Good thing I wasn’t counting on it for birth control because I ended up having 2 children at age 38+.

This is just her “oh crap!” cover story! I have severe endo-one of the worst cases my doc has ever seen- and I have 2 beautiful healthy kids! Pregnancy doesn’t make endo worse, which by this story is what she is implying by covering her “I couldn’t do that to my body” story with “I have endo.” I used to look up to her but now ai just see her as a a big fat liar! Haha

Sorry-I misquoted her… “I couldn’t handle doing that to my body” is what she said.

Again, getting pregnant with endo would not harm your body Jilly. Just admit it-you are too dam vain for stretch marks and a possible c-section scar!!

4. PinkDiva

Don’t buy this story either……my sister had horrible endo & was on birth control when surprise, she ended up pregnant with my nephew……

Endo doesn’t mean you can’t get pregnant. It also doesn’t mean it will be easy or hard. Its a very individual issue. I have Endo and had my son no problem but that doesn’t mean other people will have it the same way.

5. Angi

I am truly disgusted by the judgmental bitchy comments I am reading here. As if any of you sat in the doctor’s office with her. Please!

Nice way to tear another person down!

Agreed!

Angi, I suggest you take the time to read the comments again. I don’t think there is anything bitchy about talking about my own experience. What part of my innocent comment irritated you so much?

I wasn’t being bitc

Because you’re judging someone else’s choices based on your personal experience. Guess what – just because you experienced something one way does not mean someone else will experience it the same way. You have no idea how severe her problems are. Just because some with her condition can get pregnant doesn’t mean all can. I have a relative who has endometriosis who was only able to have children by going through IVF, and that might have been the route Jillian would have had to take if she wanted biological children. IVF can be really hard on your body, and I don’t blame her at all for not wanting to go through something like that, if that’s what it would have taken.

6. Courtney

she should’ve been careful what she said this is a pity party story. never had any respect for her in the slightest

Everyone has a right to decide if they want to get pregnant or not…even a celebrity. Who cares what her reason is for not wanting to get pregnant. She shouldn’t have to justify to blog readers. Even if her reason really is because she doesn’t want to gain weight again, that is her choice. Some people get tattoos while other people “don’t want to do that to their body”…does that make them wrong?? Besides, there are so many children already out there that need a family. Good for her for wanting to give one of them a home.

8. Evana

I dont believe her after she said that she didnt want to have children of her own because it would ruin her body.

9. LMI

Who cares what her reasons are for not wanting or not being able to be/get pregnant!? It’s her body, her life. She makes a living off of her body. Again, it’s a personal choice. Did she say “god, pregnant women are gross?” Um, no…
    Regardless, she is willing to give an unwanted, less fortunate child a home and love. That should be all that really matters.

Last time I checked it is really non of our business, she is helping a kid in need. Mind your own business!

11. isabella

I think jillian is pregnant

12. Victoria

I can’t buy totally into what she’s saying simply because when someone says something so negative and incredulous, it’s hard to believe them when they try to back pedal. Especially when so much time has passed when they said the original statement. I don’t believe that a celebrity or anyone else in the world is compelled to tell their business or anything personal, but when they do it of their own accord, I believe that they should come true or don’t come at all.

As for her original statement, what I had a problem with was that she wanted to adopt a baby, because she didn’t want to sacrifice her own body to have her own child. And I don’t think that adoption should be used for that purpose. I mean what does that say to the first mother of this child you could possibly be adopting who sacrificed her body for 9 months of her life for him or her and is now making the hardest decision of her life to give him or her up so they can have a better life, because these children aren’t being given up because they’re not loved, they’re being given up because they are impoverished, and the mothers don’t want that life for their babies. I support adoption, and I’ve been up on different aspects of adoption for years, and I can’t tell you how many, now keep in mind I’m not saying all, but how many people, even if they don’t realize that they’re doing it, can treat the first mothers of these children as if they are incubators. Her comments struck me as one of thos incubator moments.

I believe in adoption, but I want it to be on ethical terms. Domestically or internationally adopt because you want to love a child, give them a home, and loving parents/siblings. There are some people who don’t want to have biological children because they feel there are so many children in the world already who need to be focused on, and given a home. But don’t adopt because you don’t want to “ruin” your body.

As for Jillian, she needs to learn what alot of people who find themsleves in the public eye need to (and some have yet to figure out): Say the truth or say nothing at all. Remember you can always say “next question”. And don’t offer up any information on things you’re not ready to tell the whole truth about. I don’t know anything about her personally so hopefully she’s adopting this child because she wants to love him or her, and if she does, then good luck.

• Janna

She *did* say the truth: She doesn’t want to “do that to” her body.

She spoke THAT truth and people went nuts, even though it had absolutely no bearing on their lives, their bodies, and meant that she could possibly be adopting one of the thousands of kids that need adopting (something most of the big mouths on the internet would never be un-selfish enough to do while they’re busy telling everyone ELSE how exactly they should run their lives).

This is her “Oops, I need to fix my image” statement. Anyone who thinks differently is delusional.

Why would she need to ‘fix her image’?? It is her body, her decision and nobody elses opinion matters. So what, she doesn’t want to get pregnant. Ok, are you sitting down…this may shock you…she isn’t the first woman to not want to get pregnant and I’m sure won’t be the last!! Thanks to her a child will have a family now. How dare she??!! Gee, that sounds really horrible…oh wait, no it doesn’t. What was the problem again???

14. Chelsea

Who knew that women who we are supposed to be inspiring to eachpther an imposed on another could stoop to the level of judging someone for sayng something like tht. You have no idea how hard I’m sure it was for her to got to all those doctors offices and get all those tests done and find out she couldn’t have a baby of her own and I HIGHLY comend her for adopting a baby wich people seem to be forgetting about the amazing blessing she will be giving to a child and also recieving. How shallow to be saying it’s because she doesn’t want to have stretch marks or whatever what a bunch of inconsoderate lowlifes. I wish her the best and comend her for what she’s doing and making it through all the inconsoderate bashing she got from the public. YOU GO GIRL!!!

15. Marla

LOL i bet if kim kardashian had said that people would rip her to shreds. Jill is cool. let her adopt. she’s still having a child. just not the biological way. It is what it is.

16. Tina

Well, even if Jillian Michael’s doesn’t want to put her body through the torture of pregnancy, that’s her right. Who really wants that? Plus, she makes a living off of her physique and she would have to start all over again with all the work and dedication she has invested in her physique on top of the new and probably unfixable problems that would go along with a post pregnancy body. It’s not vain when your body’s condition determines your livelihood. Also, adopting is more eco-friendly and those kids are truly, truly blessed to have loving mother like Jillian who will give it a luxurious, compassionate, healthy, stable, and disciplined childhood and life. Who could ask for more?