Kate Walsh: “I Feel Like A Loser” Not Having Kids

Kate Walsh: "I Feel Like A Loser" Not Having Kids

She may be the star of very successful TV show, but for 43-year-old Private Practice actress, Kate Walsh, not having children at this point in her life has made her feel…less than adequate.

“I feel like a loser,” Walsh says in the April issue of More. “I would definitely love to be a parent. I thought I’d be married and have three or four kids.”

But unlike some of her peers in Hollywood, Kate says that she’s not keen on the idea of being a single mother.

“I definitely don’t think I want to do it on my own,” says the actress. “Things are just going to go the way they go. I always knew I wanted to be an actress, but I think I always wanted a quote-unquote normal life because I had a very untraditional upbringing.”

Though she has her sights set on a “traditional family,” Walsh isn’t in any rush to walk down the aisle again; especially after her very public split from her movie exec ex-husband, Alex Young, whom she divorced after 14 months of marriage.

“Oh my God — the worst thing ever,” says Kate of her split. “It was so public, and yet it was so legal-embroiled; you couldn’t talk about anything. I’ve learned to seek other people’s counsel more– that’s a good part of growing up.”

Filed under: Kate Walsh

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

we can’t ask for everything in our lives to work out perfectly or the way we planned, and her seems to be pretty good when you think about all the unemployed. so if being a parent is something she has to do then she should count her economical blessings and go for it.

at a certain point waiting for mr. right is just a copout.

she maybe right,having kids seem is a trend in hollywood right now !!

4. Victoria

I’m no near old enough or responsible enough to have kids, and I know that I too would love to have the husband, dog, & “picket fence” (I just used picket fence to put emphasis on the sense of a traditional family, but even I don’t want a picket fence house/life. I’m a city girl to my heart & refuse to give in to to a life in the burbs!), But we’re not always going to get everything the way we wanted, or in the order we wanted it, and maybe not at all. I say honey it’s now or never, you’re 43 and though that’s not old in this day and age, no one, and I repeat no one is getting any younger, so adopt a baby, their are plenty of children that need a loving parent in their life, or go to a sperm bank, or ask a friend for some of his. Go after what you want in life, what makes you happy, instead of feeling unhappy and inadequate.

5. FrankiePhe

Gorgeous dress she looks amazing.

6. Ondine

When I was in high school a fortune teller read my palm and told me I would not find real true love until reasonably late in life. I didn’t give it too much thought at first but at age 39 and still unmarried, I’m beginning to think she was right. Marriage and children aren’t always an option even though many women long for the fulfillment that may bring. I would think that the gorgeous and talented Kate Walsh is too busy living her life and enjoying the blessings she has to bother crying in her beer and bewailing the life she thought she wanted.

7. alicia

I totally share the feeling, I’ve always looked forward having a family and I never thought my job, as much as I love it, was more important than a family. Not that I think a woman needs to go this or that path, I believe in the freedom to choose what suits you to live your life better, and lots of women don’t need a family or children to be fullfiled.
    But I haven’t been succesful in my search of a life companion and when I was close to my forties I thought it was las chance to have babies (I can very well take care of a single mum family as my work alows me to work from home). For five years I tried again and again and it didn’t happen, (had lots of attempts and two miscarriages). Adoption was impossible in my country with my age and being single. I count my blessings but still feel like a loser, not because society is expecting every women to be a mother and a wife, but because it would have made me happy. I’ts a personnal feeling of loss and it’s painful.
    I find quite honest Ms Walsh revealing her feelings, in a world like hers where you have to be an overachiever in everything. It’s not usual, a celebrity saying that she hasn’t get what she wanted in life.
    She still can adopt, in the US is easier, or she can have an egg donnor, because at 43 the chances to have a baby with your eggs by IVF are so slim most respectable doctors wouln’t encourage it (I know many statistics and many, many women that went through this and sadly none 42+ was succesfull). Surprisingly, statistics show that the natural way is the most common way to have children after 42 (and still chances are few). I’ve seen lots of doctors and all agree: most celebrities having children after 42 are 1% lucky and 99% using egg donnors. I’m always concerned that women are lead to think that it’s easy to have children that late by themselves and with their own eggs. That’s not true, plain and simple. I just share this in the hope some women can profit from this knowledge which I learn the hard way. Don’t mean to offend anyone and of course there is always a lucky woman who defy the statistics.

This usually seems to be more of a woman’s conversation but how would you like to be a economically challenged “gay”american male approaching his 50′s and the knowing that reality of not EVER getting a chance to pass down any lineage from your family tree literally just one week sort of hit you like a ton of bricks. I put gay in quotes because I was just not involved with very many relationships. But it really doesn’t feel very positive knowing that I can’t even afford a surogate mother or anything else really. I know it’s WAY different for women but I feel empathy for her and think I get it more now.