Katie Holmes Responds To Public Parenting Criticism

Katie Holmes Responds To Public Parenting Criticism

After a whirlwind week that had everyone buzzing about Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise daughter Suri’s 1 a.m. dinners, playing with penis-shaped candies and still using a pacifier, Katie finally speaks out.

When approached at the John Frieda Precision Foam Colour event last night (March 22) in New York City, the Dawson’s Creek actress responded “no” when asked if she was tired of her parenting being critiqued. She added, “Suri is doing great, thank you,” Life & Style reports.

Reportedly, Katie’s Midwestern parents have voiced concerns about Tom’s religion, Scientology, and its influence on their 4-year-old granddaughter. Martin and Kathleen Holmes “are really upset” with the lack of boundaries Tom and Katie are setting for their little girl, an insider says.

Filed under: Katie Holmes

Photo credit: Pacific Coast News

1. Bella

Whenever it says, “insider” it’s always a crap source!!

Suri doesn’t live the life of a normal child so we can’t even compare what she does to other children.

That being said, I think the scientology religion is a load of crap! But to each their own! No child should ever think it’s okay to be the one in charge. And they shouldn’t be able to dictate what it is they’ll do or wear. But Suri is Tom and Katies problem.

2. skylar

well I think her parenting skills are odd.

Oh, come now! Didn’t your mommy carry you everywhere and let you suck on a baba after you were weaned? That can lead to some lovely orthodontics.

I’m sure you were dragged around all night and fed candy penii as well?

Because clearly any kid raised that way is gonna turn out Just Fine…lol. Suri Sheen, can’t wait until the brat explodes.

3. anonymous

Katie is a very gracious woman. Suri is luck to have her as a mother.

4. ManaNui

Suri is a great looking kid, lucky as all hell to have parents that really love her, and we need to start thinking about the millions of kids that aren’t getting that attention, love and care.

BTW, bringing in their religion in is just bigoted talk, that belongs on the KKK channel. Come on this is America not Nazi Germany.

• annonymous

No, a persons religion says a lot about somebody. Scientologists believe they are trapped on this Earth but in reality are aliens from another planet, once they get a certain age they put down thousands of dollars to try to do “training classes” to go back into outerspace, it’s whacky and they’re whacko people.

• Victoria

You sound ridiculous

She’s actually telling the truth. That’s what they believe

• anonymous

Doesn’t sound any crazier than Christianity or many other mainstream religions, IMO. It just happens to be newer.

• Simon

Hey, I have been a Scientologist for 45 years and I never heard anything about what you are talking about–seriously and I have studied a LOT of Scientology. I do know about the programs to help people get off drugs (80% do) and help people become more able. I was an farm hand and went on to run a major corp. So anyway, just wanted to sent the record straight.
            I guess this is what people do when they don’t understand something. Best idea is to look at the Scientology.org site and THINK FOR YOURSELF not listen to the Internet fringe or the press.

You just announced to every non-scientologist here that after 45 years of paying for ‘enlightenment’, you have yet to reach OT3.

How sad.

Pick up any of the advanced Scientology books (I found ‘em in my local library) or listen to enough LRH lectures and there’s plenty of nonsense in them about thetans getting caught in electrical traps and boo hoos and being run over by trains in outer space. The library didn’t know what to do with the books and classified some of them in philosophy, some of them in religion and the rest in science fiction.

I highly doubt that “an farm hand” is running any corporations with that kind of grammar.

Narconon is currently being sued in Canada for making that claim about 80% success. Its about time the FDA sorted out the US situation before more people die as a result of the sauna/vitamins/LRH drug rundown rip off. The fact that you have spent 45 years in Scientology and have not her the OTIII Xenu story indicates just how “free” you really are. Try doing a Google search – you’ll find copies of the LRH tape where he talks all about how Christianity and Islam are implants foisted onto the consciousness of humans by aliens and how his tech is the *only* salvation for this “prison mudball we call Earth”. Hell, I know more about the subject than you do and I’ve been only been looking for 45 minutes, never mind 45 years.

• ManaNui

Wow have you been feed a line and took it hook line and sinker.

The real question and the only one: Have you ever read a book on Dianetics and Scientology? I mean by L. Ron Hubbard. As then you would be qualified to give at least a neophyte comment on the religion.

It’s all right, I know the answer already…so does everyone else reading these comments.

I am not interested in a flame war. Just let’s agree to disagree and if you want to pass judgement, read something aside from the press.

Given the success L Ron Hubbard had with his own children, I don’t believe there’s a single word in anything he’s written – and I’ve read a lot and done plenty of course – that could be construed as positive parenting.

Sure. Scientology has nothing to do with anything, right? Does your religion offer directions on child rearing? Does the Cruise’s?

Maybe we’ll find out if Suri develops schizophrenia or some other ailment later in childhood.

Ever hear of Jett Travolta? Scientology beliefs had everything to do with the way he was raised, ignored, shoved aside like downstat garbage and ultimately allowed to die on a bathroom floor.

Suri will be very lucky to avoid Scientology mental health “treatment.”

Suri will be very lucky to avoid Scientology mental health “treatment.”

5. Victoria

Personally I think when it comes to Tom, Katie, and Suri, people are just being led blindly to believe what they read in the tabloids. Yes Tom Cruise can sometimes come off as a little OTT, but it’s not like there aren’t a thousand other eccentric people in the world. As for Scientology, I don’t know much about it, and I’ve noticed alot of other people who like to rip into it, don’t know much about it either, but I say as long as someone isn’t being led to kill or harm other people, let them go on believing in whatever they believe in. It’s not like anyone holds the power over saying what’s right or wrong when it comes to religion anyway. What Suri wears, what Suri eats, and what Suri’s doing is Suri and her parents business. Not that anyone has any first hand knowledge of what they’re doing behind closed doors anyway. You only see them walking to stores and down the street and on the set of Katie’s movies.

• Camila

Totally agree with you!

• Grace

So I guess the tabloids manipulated everyone into believing that Tom jumped on Oprah’s couch or criticized Brooke Shields for using anti-depressants and they also manipulated us into believing that Suri had a pacifier at almost five or was at a resturant at midnight? Is that what you’re saying. You sound unbelievably naive. I can only hope that the people who are defending Tom and Katie are about 12-years-old because there’s no other excuse for such nauseating celebrity worship.

• Janna

Grace, sometimes people’s responses are about celebrity-worship. I think there’s no excuse, except ignorance, for what Tom Cruise said about post-partum depression. However, I don’t really get the hoopla surrounding the Oprah thing. So what? He was excited, went a little overboard, and showed too much enthusiasm. Who did it hurt?

As for Suri, this child leads a life radically different from yours and most other people. The constant judgment of everything this child is doing is what’s nauseating. If her parents want to take her to a restaurant at midnight, who is it hurting? Suri? I doubt it.

There are people who can’t stand anything different from what they consider “normal”. I feel sorry for those people, because you really should just live and let live.

6. skylar

someone tell me what scientolgy believe in. didn’t mimi roger turn tom into a scientologists.

Mimi Rogers’s father – Phil Spickler – is a life-long Scientologist. Check out some of his FreeZone videos – the guy’s nuts (which is the “End Phenomena” for anyone who takes Scientology seriously)

Duh, because she is a clueless NITWIT!!!!

Common people, a child out at the crack of dawn with her parents at a restaurant, eating penis shaped gummies and sucking on a pacifier. What the heck is wrong with you people, are you blind or just plain dah! These people are wackos and they are creating a little wackee. Katie has no idea what she is doing with that child and has been brainwashed by Scientology. Tom has been a gonna for sometime and that is a lost case. And by the way, when they decided to stop having people mind their business, then they should give up their public lives and retreat to planet Scienter, that way, no one will have to be up in their business. They are public figures and are subjected to both positive and negative scrutiny, it comes with a price tag. You can’t expect to enjoy fame and fortune and think you should be immune to the negative side of it.

9. Danielle

Im sure Suri is loved but setting boundaries for children doesn’t mean you love them less.
    Im speaking generally not just about Tom and Katie, but just because a child is raised with money doesn’t mean that they will turn out ok and doesn’t mean it will fix all the problems they have when they are older. And it isn’t just the parents affected, if can affect everyone. When Suri grows up and possibly develops a drink or drugs problem (just for an example) what if she gets in a car drunk then it of course it affects other people.

I think that’s the problem with todays society (and I am only 30), that we don’t look out for each other anymore, everyone doesn’t pitch in and help as it is seen as interfering. Maybe if everyone helped each other out and did poke their noses in now and then, maybe there wouldn’t be such unruly kids around, growing into adults with bigger problems.

Doesn’t anyone else remember being worried, when a neighbour caught you doing something naughty and you heard ‘aren’t you so and so’s son/daughter, i’ll be having words with your mother’ hahaha

Yes, and when Suri starts doing “naughty” things, people can start being concerned. How ridiculous that we worry about a 4 year old’s sleep schedule and the candy she is eating. Or that she sucks a pacifier. This affects NO ONE else. We are a society of gossips and busy bodies.

• Victoria

No honey the problem is that this little girl is not your neighbor! She is not a family member, she is not your neighbor, you don’t know her, and are yet trying to imagine the worst for her future, and trying to “help out” people you don’t know anything about. You don’t know what’s going on behind their doors.

• Grace

No one’s talking about what goes on behind closed doors dumb#ss. We’re talking about what we see right in front of us, which is that Suri has a pacifier at age 5 (which affects a child’s speech as well as increased their chances of ear infections.) And we’re talking about her being out a resturant at midnight (which is detrimental to a child’s health.) I suppose it’s easy to say “well I’m not going to judge” or “we don’t know what’s going on behind closed doors” when you’re too selfish of a person to care about the welfare of a small child. But some people do care. Some people are so blinded by celebrity worship that they will sit around defending things that are bad for a child’s health.

10. Bella

Katie didn’t address any kind of issues with about her parenting choices she just said Suri’s doing great. It wasn’t like they asked her what do you think of the nasty things people say about your parenting?! Are you a bad mother??

I do not agree at all with any of their parenting. I think paci’s and bottles for kids over 2 is nonsense, I think allowing your child to not wear weather appropriate attire is irresponsible, and I think 1 a.m. dinners is a bit of a stretch. But then again these are things I wouldn’t be doing as a parent. Kids need boundaries and they do need parents to tell them what is right and what isn’t.
    I try not to knock anyones religion it’s not my place but like I said this religion to me is if someone sat around someday and said, you know what I’m totally gonna have my own crazy beliefs and see how many people I can get to follow them!

11. Cabos

So, she just says “no”, and “Suri is doing great, thank you.” And that’s what they call speaking out?

• Proud CAnadian

I was about to say the same thing Cabos. I would hardly call a terse sound bite to a tabloid magazine a “response” to criticism about her childrearing practices either. These tabloids are getting pretty cheeky claiming to have the “exclusive” on this and that.

12. J.A.

I’ve read the comments of some people saying that scientologists believe this and that. Well, I have been a Scientologist for more than 20 years now and we scientologists don’t believe any of the things you said. Where did you get that from? Not from Scientology for sure. Beware of your sources. You are being lied to. Many are being lied to. That’s why they don’t understand Scientology, because they just learned a bunch of lies instead of learning true scientology from the books and videos. If you want to believe lies it’s up to you.

How would you know if we are being lied to? You are probably less than OT III and still paying for courses. While I have read all the OT material all the way up to OT VIII. Sorry but you are the one being lied to.

J.A. said: “I’ve read the comments of some people saying that scientologists believe this and that. Well, I have been a Scientologist for more than 20 years now and we scientologists don’t believe any of the things you said.”
      What “things” would you be referring to J.A.? Can you be more precise than “this and that”? I thought scientologists were instructed to avoid generalities.

Tell us about how your “church” doesn’t believe in autism. Your own CCHR mags claim that.

So if autism doesn’t exist, seizures don’t either and Jett Travolta is living the high life in a back room of the Travolta’s mansion. Have I got that right?

Or is Jett one of the victims of your stupid cult playing doctor without being qualified? Only an indoctrinated Scientologist would put their special needs kid in the care of a freakin Scientologist wedding photographer!

I understand Scientology, and I do not like it. MONTALVO

Sounds like you are throwing down some acceptable truth on us.

“Suri is great. Thank you… Suri is great. Thank you… Suri is great. Thank you… Suri is great. Thank you… Suri is great. Thank you… Suri is is is is is great. Thank you…” Katie has been taught to just be positive, say something nice. She’s a dope. I’ve said it once, I’ll say it again… She’s as dumb as they come.

It has nothing to do with being dumb. It’s about having class and not stooping to the level of the haters. Suri is her child and she doesn’t need to justify her parenting to strangers.

it’s kind of funny that scientologists mostly don’t comment on these message boards, but we see a negative article about them and they come in droves. gee, i wonder if the scientology pr machine is working overtime tonight. and yes, i have read mr. hubbard’s works and he is a nutjob. how would you respond to the FBI sting against Hubbard and his wife, when scientology operatives were caught sneaking around in the IRS? haha. right, you can’t.

Ridiculous that no one here can accept the truth…you are on a celebrity site. If you want to fawn over them visit their fan sites.

17. Melania

Suri gets lots of love and attention. Just because she is being raised a little differently doesn’t make it wrong or bad. It just makes you become the usual Internet haters. You should save your breath as nobody really cares about your opinions and why is that? Because they are shallow and useless. I’m sure Suri is as katie said, doing just great.

How do you know she gets a lot of love and attention? Sounds like your just a scientology critic hater. I think you’re the one that’s shallow and useless.

Tell me, should a five year old be out after midnight? Do you know the kind of damage a pacifier causes at that age? Would Xenu approve?

Anyone who has ever raised a child can look at this sit and see problems down the road. Kid has no boundaries nor control. She throws temper tantrums when she doesn’t get her way. Explosive public tantrums. And mommy and daddy cave in.

When this kid hits 13, if she’s not a Sea Org slave she’s gonna be a bitch diva.

18. terence

Kaities Midwest Parents? L Ron Hubbard was from nebraska..

19. Ondine

I feel bad for this family, under constant withering criticism from the public. None of us could withstand this constant scruitiny. A hundred kids will be raised in a hundred different ways and w/ any luck and love on the part of their parents, all of these children will reach adulthood successfully no matter what time they ate their dinner or when their bedtime was or whether they went to public, private, religeous or a home school or ate only vegetables or whatever it is that happened that we find so unusual or is perceived to be dangerous by busybodies w/ nothing better to do than to criticize movie stars. This family lives in the stratosphere of society and the world is truly their oyster. They and others like them play by different rules — dinner at 2 am and sleep til noon, jetsetting around the globe, African safaris, skiing in Gstaad, attending polo matches, servants, 100 pair of shoes to choose from, luxuries we cannot imagine. This little girl is gonna grow up just fine. Let us confine ourselves w/ their show business careers and leave the childrearing to them in privacy. A photo or two on a celebrity baby site is one thing but to allow and even encourage them to be personally attacked in print is another and it doesn’t speak well for this site or the people who write the most hurtful and horrifying comments.

I suggest reading the Scientology article in the New Yorker. Then watch some videos on youtube of David Miscavige (a Scientology leader and Tom Cruise’s best man) as well as Tom Cruise (search: Tom Cruise Scientology video leaked – this is an official church video). Then check out exscientologykids.org (has a lot of info on what scientology beliefs and organizations are – like “sea orgs” for example). Plenty of other research sources available on the web. Learn about Xenu and body thetans for example. And then, decide for yourself whether this is a cult or a religion. The FBI is actively investigating Scientology on a number of issues. It’s a bit of a scary organization in my opinion.

21. Bellatrix

The Scientos have come out in herds to protect Holy Suri as I can see… How lovely, a family gathering in the comments section of a celebrity blog.

I cosign the previous Anonymous comment about reading the New Yorker article as well as many other online resources on the true content of Scientology “OT” classes and the way the organisation works.

When a 4 year old is still using a pacifier & drinking from a bottle it makes you question the parenting for sure. Not saying this alone makes them bad parents but its just not good for Suris development esp. of her teeth! Sure they can afford best dental work & therapy but that isnt the point. Its mentally and physically bad for her at her age.

Scientology preaches AWFUL child rearing methods so if they are following these methods to raise their child then its a given they are not parenting well.

I’m by no means a celeb apologist, and it might be entirely true that Suri is being raised in a questionable and potentially harmful manner.

However, it seems posters here are focusing on “normal” childrearing and “normal” rules imposed on children by parents, and not taking into consideration the very different and “abnormal” world Suri, her parents, and other celebs inhabit, and the fact that because of this, those “normal” rules and techniques may somtimes have to be adjusted/modified in order to maintain the very standards some here are concerned are missing: stability, boundaries, etc.

For example, many seem concerned that Suri was out late two nights in a row – going to dinner and seeing a Broadway show. In a “normal” world this might be troubling as children are generally on the family schedule of rising early with parents off to work and then perhaps pre-school or school for the child. There are “normal” working/school hours and a child of Suri’s age who was kept out late would likely be sleep deprived and moody, impairing her development, etc. if she had to comply with the “normal” schedule while maintaining that late hour. However, Suri is not on this “normal” schedule. In fact, she has been on the West coast (a 3 hour time difference from NY) and clearly was just in NY for a short trip with her mother since it was reported they left the theatre and flew to the west coast again after one of these late night excursions. Katie is not a “normal” working parent tied to a strict schedule that requires Suri to be up early in the morning. She has the luxury of keeping her daughter on the west coast time zone schedule when they make a brief trip to the east coast. Given that it was a short trip, this might have been a far healthier thing to do for Suri than to keep her to some “normal” hours dependant upon time zone and end up with a jet lagged child. They do a lot of traveling as part of their work, and as a result maybe they had to adopt the “normal” parenting to work for their lifestyle.

Now I’m not saying there are no oddities about how they are raising Suri – and perhaps they might even be doing her arm in some areas. However, Suri could be raised with all the “normal” techniques and still grow up to have issues, drug or alcohol problems, etc. – it happens every day to other people. And, as many have pointed out, we have no idea what their life and child rearing are really like full time. It’s just easy for people to pass judgment, particularly when what they see doesn’t fit with their norm.

24. Bella

This just in:

Suri Cruise Responds To Public Parenting Criticism.

When Suri was asked about the criticism surrounding Kate and Tom’s parental skills she angrily threw a bottle at the reporters face, flipped him the finger, and told him to, “eat a [male anatomy] gummy”.

what is wrong with people of this generation?Why don’t you ever mind your own business?Grow up,direct your gossip energy to something more productive.Atleast she is parenting,some of you are not even capable of disciplining yourselves and you wine about what another does.SHAME ON YOU!

26. dman@kevlar.net

Suri needs more auditing, and her mother needs to watch her PR flubs (high crime). Both could use a little sec-checking. Tom Cruise is busy Keeping Scientology Working all over the world, and even though HE CAN be in two places at once, it would be best for all dynamics if Suri and Katy would act like adults.

27. Gavin

I can’t believe people are still criticizing Scientology. I guess they don’t know what it feels like to be on the losing end of a costly lawsuit.

Scientology is a religion. It is no more crazy then other religions. L.Ron Hubbard is as good as Buddha and Allah and all the Popes put together. Ron wrote very secret, valuable material which is the intellectual property of The Church of Scientology. It will cost you a lot of donation money, but it is available to you if you’re willing to pay for it. It will help you fix all your problems.
    Now, turn off the internet and go purchase the latest addition of Dianetics. Don’t forget to put all your vital information on the card enclosed within the book. Send all that info to the address on the card. We’ve got the postage. Do this now.
    Do it.

28. Non

First– as a former journalist, what you read on celebrity sites is often very, very true. Again– think about the libel laws– why is nobody suing? Because, often…it is TRUE. (I’m remembering back to the days of John Edwards, his mistress and the National Enquirer. People swore up and down that the mag/paper/whatever it is now was lying. Making things up. Oh, but the opposite was true.)

I have a child 1 year older and another 1 year younger than Suri. I understand making choices that aren’t the *norm* for your child, really I do. But while some of these things may not be hurting her NOW…parents have to stop at times and think how these will affect her as an adult.

A sense of entitlement, a sense of getting whatever you want….of being above the rules…it isn’t going to help you as an adult. What can be considered innocent or not that big a deal can really become a BFD for a 22-year-old.

29. innocent_evil

it is surprising how everyone is a step ahead of criticizing…if everyone here who are going on about how katie is a bad mother because her daughter choose a candy she didnt know anything about! and if suri was a brat like many pointed out, i dont think she would be sitting quietly in theaters at night enjoying shows many of us adult cant appreciate or enjoy…why did it not cross anyone’s mind that we have never seen a picture of suri throw a tantrum? I dont know weather her mother is the perfect mother or if she is having the perfect childhood….but the kid is happy and so are her parents…why do people on internet just spread all the negativity? god damn jealous people? as for children making their own decisions, what is wrong for a child to say what he/she wants to wear? :S didn’t any of you have a favourite dress you wanted to wear, or a shoe you just refused to wear or something similar? lasty! why cant the lot of you say anything positive about anyone beside yourself? :S it is such a shame that all the “adults” who have access to voicing their opinion have only negative things to say.

That kid is going to grow up to be a complete weirdo. It isn’t about jealousy, it isn’t about being negative, it’s about facts. Ask any child psychologist what is going to happen to that kid as she grows and they’ll tell you the kid will be seriously fucked up and unable to function as an adult in modern society. All you people above who are playing apologist should be ashamed. This situation is not something that should just be left to “slide”. It is a problem. A serious problem and jeopardizing this girl’s future.

In short; you people can stop kissing ass and come back to reality. Get a grip. This girl is going to suffer later in life because of these parents who have no idea what in the fuck they’re doing.