Jada Pinkett Smith Doesn’t Want To “Control” Her Children

Jada Pinkett Smith Doesn’t Want To "Control" Her Children

Jada Pinkett Smith has a relaxed attitude when it comes to parenting. The 39-year-old actress – who has two children with hubby Will Smith – believes that giving her kids the freedom to express themselves creatively and to make their own decisions will be beneficial as they grow up.

“I see my children as little people, not necessarily people to control,” she explains. “You’ve got to help them develop and become individuals. You have to find out who they are but enforce boundaries to keep them safe.”

“She’s simply being creative,” says Jada of her 10-year-old songstress daughter, Willow, whose first ever music video went viral within hours of its release. “I’m not worried about her growing up to soon.”

Jada is also mom to 12-year-old Jaden, who starred alongside Jackie Chan 2010’s The Karate Kid remake.

The HawthoRNe star confesses that as she gets older, it’s much easier to put her family before her career: “I’m very clear about what my priority is and that’s my family.”

I used to struggle juggling work and family at the beginning. It’s hard when you change from being single to being married to being a mother. But now I’m turning 40, I’ve found a peaceful compromise. I feel very content.

Recently, Jada opened up about how she and Will run their rule-free household: “We don’t have rules. We come up with agreements. Kids are little people, and we’re in life to guide them. Trying to rule someone is always an illusion, and it’s no different with children.”

Filed under: Jada Pinkett-Smith

Photo credit: Fame

barf…..i am curious to see how this social experiment turns out…we all know that the one thing that child stars don’t need is rules….

Interesting she said “simply being creative”…I disagree. There’s a business side to Willow’s life that most children don’t have. She has an album and makes appearances. That’s a career; it’s beyond just being creative. Get real.

To each their own. I think these kids are stuck up but others who live with these rules may not have children like them!

The smiths need to come out and say they are scientologist cause that’s who they are

You guys just need to come n say it u r scientologists

6. Cabos

Gimme a break people, if that was Angelina Jolie talking you would be all about her being such a great mother for not putting rules and boundaries and let the kids be and do who they wanna be.

7. LaKesha

So what if they were Scientologists?–They don’t get to choose your religion, you don’t get to choose theirs.

8. Bella

they live by the scientology methods ??

Children do need rules, they’ll thank you for them in the long run!

9. Anna

I can’t believe you had to show this photo again! They look so ridiculous in these outfits. Don’t you have anything more recent at least?

i actually agree with her. they need boundaries and limits to keep them safe, but not rigid rules – especially at their age. she normally bothers me, but she is making sense here. kids are not there to be controlled by their parents, but to be guided as they grow and discover who they are (not who we want them to be). all this said, i do think because of the lifestyle in which they are growing up there is no telling who these children really would BE. i don’t think in a traditional situation both kids would just happen to be in the entertainment biz. at least this mom is trying and is aware of what her hopes for her family are….

11. Erica1

Cabos@ I hate when people like you use the “if that was Angelina Jolie” speech because we all know that BS people would be talking crap about Angelina Jolie for days and so would the tabloids.

• Cabos

I haven’t seen that Erica. Both Brad and Angelina are glorified as parents no matter what they do. And if someone says something bad about them, they’re immediately labelled as jealous haters. No matter what Angelina says it’s good, but if someone else says the same or similar is wrong. I don’t know.

• Shirilicious

Then you must not have read any of the myriad stories and posts where people were trashing Angelina and Brad for cutting their daughter’s hair, letting her wear boy’s clothes and giving in to calling her John (or was it James?). People went apesh!t crazy because they thought B&A are deliberately raising a homosexual (like this is even possible).
        Seriously, that “if this were Brad and Angie, then you all would” is sooo tired because it’s simply not true.

12. Erica1

I love when she talks about no rules for her kids because there are rules all over the place for adults in the work place, rules in sports, rules of the road and rules at school ex there are rules for a reason could you imagine work, sports and school just to name a couple without rules complete craziness and what’s really funny is that Scientology has very strike rules in which they must live by.

I love The Interracial Romance! It is so nice. My boyfriend and i both think so. He is black, lol. I know him via (SeekInterracial.)(C0M)—a nice place for black white singles, to interact with each other…no bounds or extremes in front of true love. Check it out or tell your friends.

No rule! She must remember at some point those kids will be out of her reach and and the precious little bubble they’ve created for them and will have a hell of a hard time coping with the rules that each and everyone of us must live by in this society. Kids should not be allowed to do whatever the hell they want with no rule, no rules can also arguably be equated to no boundaries. Just do whatever the f**********ck you what and if you mess up then i will create some shit along the way so you can know that you’ve messed up. Their style raising their kids is no different from that of Katie and Tom. Like the previous comments stated, they are Scientologists just come out and confess it and at the end of the day, that is your belief and no need to be ashamed of it, they are your brats and you are going to reap the fruits of your actions. Like they say, you reap what you sow.

15. Lizzig

Why doesnt she just admit they have joined the Scientolgy cult and be done with it. They are following all their rules: home school, never say NO to your child. I used to love Will Smith and had hoped his kids would be a nice bunch of kids. So far only his oldest son is normal.

16. Ashley

can’t stand them, especially that snot nosed Willow head

17. Ondine

Sure kids, go ahead, blow your nose at the dinner table, throw your worn clothing on the floor or under your bed, take a piss in the kitchen sink, anything you want. We don’t have rules, we have agreements!!! Daddy and I are doing our best to prepare you for an adult world where if you are rich enough, you won’t have to follow any rules either.

18. Pamela

WHY ARE YALL BASHING WILL & JADA ON HOW THEY ARE RAISEIN THERE KIDS!!! HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF I DID IT TO YOU? RITE NOW SOME OF YALL KIDS DONT EVEN LISTEN OR SO NOTHING YOU SAY…WE AS BLACK PEOPLE NEED TO STICK TOGETHER…HOW EVER SHE IS RAISIN THEM IT MUST BE WORKING B/C THERE KIDS HAVE THERE OWN BANK ROLE!!!! THE SMITH FAMILY ROCKS!!!! NOW WHO GOING TO CHECK ME?

Ummm. You being black doesn’t make them care about you any more than the next person. May as well stop being in denial that they care about you.

We Black people need to stick together is the biggest cacamaney i have ever heard. Does the Smith family give a hoot about poor black folks in New Orleans or helping a poor black kid who is far more talented than their kid make it to the top. Don’t be fooled my friend and don ‘t stick to support someone simply based on the color of their skin but rather the contents of their characters. I would not ever follow the model of the way they raise their kids. Additionally, just because they have their own money doesn’t mean jack cause money can’t buy you peace or love, manners and humility of which they lack. I too am a person of African descent and does not agree with their style and the only reason they are getting away with it’s because they have a lot of financial resources.

I THINK THAT COMMENT YOU MADE IS SO HARSH!!!! YOU MUST BE A WHITE PERSON B/C THEY ARE NOT IN THE PRESS LIKE DAT & WHY DO THEY NEED TO EASE OUT OF THE SPOTLIGHT? FOR WHAT? I BET IF IT WAS BRAD PITT AND HIS BITCH ASS WIFE YOU WONT HAVE SWHIT TO SAY!!!! KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DOING JADA & WILL SMITH SHINE BABY SHINE!!!