Mariah Carey Bares Her Baby Bump

Mariah Carey Bares Her Baby Bump

Songstress Mariah Carey – who is days away from welcoming her first and second child – is the latest celebrity to show off her pregnant body on the cover of a magazine. The mom-to-be bared her bump to Life & Style.

I was feeling very vulnerable about taking pictures at all right now, but then I didn’t want to miss this opportunity to document this once-in-a-lifetime experience,” Mariah tells Life & Style. “My ultimate goal was to share this incredibly personal moment with my true fans.”

And the twins — a boy and a girl — seemed ready for their closeups.

“The babies were kicking almost the entire time; it was unbelievable,” the Grammy Award-winning singer says. “Especially the girl — clearly she’s a diva in training! We didn’t start shooting until 1:30 a.m. because I was in the hospital from the night before until the day of the shoot with contractions five minutes apart!”

Although Mariah’s not due for a few weeks, the twins could be making their grand entrance sooner rather than later. Contractions sent mom to the hospital on March 27 – her 42nd birthday!

Soon-to-be-dad Nick Cannon says he is more attracted to his wife than ever. “I thought I couldn’t love Mariah more,” he says. “But I have a whole new appreciation and admiration for her.”

Mariah adds that her pregnancy has given her a new perspective.

Now I have so much respect for mothers everywhere, especially those who’ve had difficult pregnancies or given birth to multiples. We need to have Mother’s Day once a week!”

Filed under: Mariah Carey

Photo credit: Life & Style

The whole naked pregnant pic is old it was shocking and cutting edge when dummi did it but now it’s just copycats do something new please

I love it! She’s covering her breasts and she looks beautiful! No one needs to see any more pregnant nip pics.

I’m gonna say this. What mariah has done is the way to do a beautiful pregnancy portrait. I guess it’s Demi style. there’s no need to show more than this, cover up the breasts, because your child will grow up one day, and they don’t want the rest of the world to have a buck naked picture of their mom.

this is a beautiful shot! Love it!

4. klutzy_girl

Interesting cover.

And at least this will shut up all those people crying surrogate.

Wonder when the babies are going to be born!

5. Courtney

probably the end of the month as those photos were taken March 28th. this is a beautiful way to mark this milestone in their lives together

Despite what the women hating previous comments say, I think pregnancy is beautiful. The pregnant body is beautiful, more power to you for being brave and showing something so wonderful and personal. Not everyone thinks its disgusting or repulsive. The negative ones are always louder and get just what they want – attention.

• Tara

Why are you a “woman hater” simply because you believe in a sense of modesty? Anytime a woman makes a comment that perhaps may not be politically correct; such as moms should stay at home with their kids, or abortion is wrong or woman should not put everything they have on show, you are automatically labeled a misogynist or a prude. It’s counter productive to women as a whole, because this mindset only perpetuates the “angry female” philosophy. We can have differing opinions on what is and is not appropriate and still in fact be pro woman.

Kind of a skewed provocative belief, that in essence is solely written to draw “attention” to your message. It works both ways.

In my experience as a European woman, conservative Americans with thoughts like yours tend to lead an uneducated provincial life, where most likely they have not experienced much of the world, nor any hardships. They have been taken care of by mum and dad for the majority of their lives- so it is relatively easy to sit on your soapbox when most likely judge others.

Mariah looks beautiful- get over it.

your post is somewhat out of place here, but i have to agree most conservatives are how you describe. Then again many liberals over intellectualize things to be fair. There are equal faults on both sides.

• Tara

Typically such an ignorant, myopic and frankly off topic comment would merely elicit a passing chuckle from me. However i feel compelled to perhaps enlighten you. “mummy and daddy” were both dead before I reached age 12. My only other relative, a brother, committed suicide when I was 18. I put myself through Yale and then earned my MBA from the LOndon School of economics. After working and living in London, Paris, Tokyo, Moscow and Johannesburg, I spent a year volunteering at a refugee camp in the Sudan run by Christian charities. At the age of 31, 3 months after the birth of my son I underwent a double mastectomy and full hysterectomy. 2 months later my husband decided he couldn’t handle it and left. I don’t say this out of any sense of hubris. In fact I am no more admirable than any poster on this board just trying to make it through the day.
          However i will concede that You are correct on one point, my life today is quite provincial, I currently live in middle America and am raising my two year old son. My one guilty pleasure is trolling gossip websites. I am very happy and quite blessed.But you just proved my point about the stereotypes out there. Contrary to what has been said, we can disagree on what we personally deem appropriate, without automatically being labelled “haters.” or out of touch.

Anonymous did not deserve a response for her idiotic generalizations. But…..very good answer.

On topic- I think the picture is beautiful but obviously photoshopped. Thank god;)

I too love the picture but also like Tara’s response. European anonymous you are arrogant.

Do you honestly believe using all of these “big” words (and I say this loosely because I seriously think you’ve got the Google tab opened, typing in random crap to see what sounds the most intelligent to say – not to mention your random capitalization and punctuation in the wrongest of areas. But either a bunch of people or your sock puppets stroked your ego and now you’re straight up acting a fool. Show off much?). I’m going to say this straight and to the point, you know without trying to sound like an out dated professor, masking my intent and fooling people to oooh and aaahh so they don’t see my ignorance.

Women are beautiful always, it is up to us to stand up for each other. We have the whole world against us and from the beginning we are taught to hate ourselves and each other. A pregnant, naked body is beautiful and natural. It is woman. Do I wish Mariah and Demi and all the others would forego the topic bare and not PhotoShop? YES! We need not be ashamed of our bodies, we need to show other women its okay. But like I said, we are instilled with the brlief that we need to be perfect, a sex object and modest.

If you are not with women you are against women. Point blank. There is way around it, there is no exemption to hate certain areas. By you going on about how unattractive she is because you think pregnancy is disgusting, it makes it okay for everyone else to start finding their flaws and picking all women apart. It’s wrong, I’m sorry but you may have your opinion but my goal is that one day we cease your opinions and others like it and teach self acceptance and love for ourselves. These mindsets create so many serious issues for our young girls, we need to stop.

• NoH8!

I take it back, we are worlds apart. Your belief that ALL woman should support one another regardless of the situation is inane. As a lesbian woman I would much rather be one of Tara’s ” sock puppets”, as you arrogantly refer to the other posters, than be associated with you.

• Anonymous 5

Are you serious? Are we supposed to support women who abuse or murder their children, women who are drug addicts, women who are adulterers simply because we are of the same gender? If I don’t agree with abortion I have no right to call myself female? You are once scary lady and seem to be the one with serious issues, not those of us who believe in freedom of speech and thought.

This whole ” Feel Good” mentality has done nothing to advance any of our girls, I say this as a mother of two teenage daughters. I teach them to value things that have EARNED it, no one and nothing should get a free pass. I also have a teenage boy and let me tell you all the efforts to make woman feel equal have actually swung the pendulum too much the other way and it’s our sons who are
            now suffering. This is all a result of women like you who play the victim card every chance they get.

Finally, words are only considered “big” to those with a limited vocabulary and who do not use more than two syllables on a daily basis. Correct punctuation is only a sign that one used spellcheck. Does not really take a genius.

No one is pulling any victim cards, I don’t need those, thank you.

You compare apples to watermelons. Empowering women is the same as murdering children to you? I’m not even going to get into that, it clearly goes over your head (which seems to have a few screws loose!). Anyone who compares male “sufferings” to women, especially that men have it worse? LOL. I’m sorry. You can’t change my mind.

There’s nothing wrong with education, its important and should be to all of us. I have a problem with Tara skirting around the issue with her online dictionary.

• Cecelia

You come across as very bitter and antagonistic. You object to one’s personal view. Therefore you are either rather young or have yet to experience reality. I hope it’s the former.

I was a high school teacher here in NJ and I can tell you that what Anonymous 5 states about boys suffering more now, is right on target. So much of a push was made to empower woman that they forgot about the male gender. A majority of these young men are indeed innocent victims to a ultra feminine view such as yours. Their suicide rate is 67% higher than their female peers because of this changing pendulum. There is nothing wrong with praising girl, but it must be earned.

I personally think you owe Tara an apology, not once was she vindictive, petty nor disrespectful to you or anyone else with a differing view. You state she circumvented the issue by using big words. All I notice is an articulate argument for respecting contradicting points. I never saw anyone refer to pregnancy as vulgar or ugly- that is in your mind. Maybe you are the one with the loose screws.

I don’t owe anyone an apology for my opinion – are you kidding me? Just because I don’t have the friends or support here doesn’t make me wrongful for what *I* think. You’re trying to protect your opinions and are attacking *ME* for thinking differently than you. Have you not thought about that? No, you never would. Everything you preach (freedom of speech and free will for differing opinion?) That has yet to apply to me. My opinion is in the minority herefore I am wrong. I ask you to seriously ponder that. Tara doesn’t owe me an apology for having a differing opinion either, I would never dare ask anyone to apologize for thinking differently than me.

• Cecelia

You owe an apology for being insulting and immature. And who has friends on this board everyone is anonymous. You certainly have paranoia.

When was I Insulting and immature or “name calling”? If you can show me MY posts and point those out, I will apologize (for having MY own opinion, but since you seem to think you can control my own beliefs then I guess I will make your sadistic mind happy).

And yes, we should help women with drug addictions, homelessness, prostitution, young females in foster care, sex trafficking etc. My ideal world is a place where women and their children don’t have to live like this. But I’m sure that’s insane to you as well.

• Tara

You do not warrant anymore of my time nor energy. However, I truly hope you never have a son, your pure vitriol ( Ooh a big word), is evidenced by your even bigger bleeding heart. May I ask have you ever spent a year in a war torn country volunteering your time to these female victims you rage on about. Well I have and that’s all the confirmation that I need to know that I am living a just life.

I am perfectly happy and secured with my life and my accomplishments. You my dear seem to need therapy.

I don’t feel the need to brag about my hardships in life or my volunteer work. I don’t need to one up anyone for helping people. These are lives we’re talking about, not a competition.

How do you know if I don’t have a son already? That’s a terrible thing to say to someone who may already be a mother. You people talk about rude and attacking.

I dont need therapy because my mindset isn’t yours. But like I said earlier, my free speech and free will for differing opinions does not apply to me but I must respect others? That’s something to sit on.

• Anonymous@richmondVA

No idea who the h*ll this tara girl is. But it seems to me if I was called ignorant, provincial and given everything from mom and dad, I would definitely set that right. ESPECIALLY given her background. It’s not like she offered it without being instigated.

You made an innocent post about women being fair to differing views and made it into a personal crusade that anyone that has negative feelings for women should be shot. That is why no one supported you. NOT because of your opinion.

I never said anyone should be shot wtf? You guys are right, its not Tara who is being cruel, its the rest if you. God help my son? Women deserve to be shot? I need to apologize for my opinion? I need therapy? I have paranoia? No. I have no gripe with Tara. It’s the rest of you who are being straight up bullies and down right assholes. I’m glad theres people who think differently then you, this board is ridiculous.

• Tara

Ok everyone, calm down. This is out of hand. Leave her alone. I appreciate the support and am surprised by the amount. However she is obviously passionate about her beliefs. That I can respect immensely.

Personal I think what may have rubbed people the wrong way was the manner with which you responded to my fairly innocuous post. I think you can have differing views and STILL be pro woman. Perhaps that is where we clash. You are a 100% person, I have had to learn there has to be give and take on these things. I have to clarify something though, I did not list my history for any type of sympathy, most people close to me, know NONE of it, I did however take offense to the post that all conservatives are living life in an ivory tower. Clearly I did not. But still I would not change a thing. It’s made me who I am.

Finally I write the way I speak. My vocabulary is what it is, no pretense. Regardless I do hope for the same you do, respect. Good luck.

• NoH8!

You are too forgiving but I agree let it go. But anonymous whether you realize it or not you were insulting to her. You questioned her intelligence, you mocked her losses and to start it out with you were a pit bull to her very valid post about respecting opposing views.

Let’s all just get along now.

Right on, Tara. :) My passion is supporting all women, even if they disagree with me. I would be a hypocrite to cut anyone off for being different than me. I respect you for settling this. I may have come off differently than I wanted, but I think this whole thing became heated and defensive off the bat. I will apologize myself if you were offended by what I said, but like I said I think this whole thing started off on the wrong foot. I think the fire was fanned by everyone else jumping in, I felt attacked and I’m sorry – to you. Thank you.

• NoH8!

I do not agree with the attack on you as a mother if you are one, nor do I condone any condemnation of your passion. But please recognize that you may have caused this to get out of hand. And maybe we could have stopped taking the bait.
            Let’s all just get along now.

I just apologized to her and explained myself. Are you trying to keep this going? Please let it go.

• Cecelia

God help your son if you have one. And the reason no one seems to have stuck up for you is because you have come off like a belligerent child. I am personally surprised that no one came to your defense. I KNOW for a fact there are others who follow your train of thought. But I believe they were turned off by you antagonistic name calling and lack of composure.

And I certainly think you need therapy if you read anything offensive in what Tara posted. I have never read anything she posted before, but she seemed sincere and only defended herself when she was accused of being pampered with an easy life. You obviously have a gripe with her but that’s yours to deal with. She and the others here seem to have moved on.

I never accused her of being pampered or called her any names. I think you have people mixed up. I sincerely hope you never tell another woman “God help your son” ever again, that’s down right cruel. Tara isn’t attacking anyone, you are.

• AlexandraX

I subscribe more to your philosophy, except helping drug addicts and prostitutes. Personally I find the fact that anyone thinks men are victims to be repugnant. I see the message you are trying to get out there, but I too think you were unnecessarily angry at someone who was just voicing her opinion.
            She is correct that by insulting her for her more conservative beliefs is as harmful to the gender as if the tables were turned.

My advice is next time instead of going on the attack, use your platform to be a positive example. Otherwise you just come across as a femi-Nazi. I think both you and Tara have good messages, she may have expressed herself a tad more maturely.

You’re right, I should have been more gentle and sensitive because obviously its hard for people here to swallow a different opinion. I personally don’t believe they’d accept my point of view regardless, but thanks for the feedback anyway. :)

• AlexandraX

Also you were the one who initially started all this by insulting her defense of being called a woman hater for her views. You need to think about that.

Like I said I agree with SOME of your philosophy but you caused this to get the way it did.

• AlexandraX

It was not really a compliment but glad you felt it was. I would prefer to have someone speak about my position in the manner the other poster did anyday. Good luck.

I didn’t take it’s as a compliment, I was being polite.

I am the European anonymous- I apologise for my generalities. It appears to have come across poorly. In no way was I saying all women with conservative views were anything negative. I think you should be proud of what you experience. Please do not lump me with that other anonymous, her comments seem wacko.

I’m not “wacko” because my opinion is the minority or that I stand up for what I believe. People here are rude and bully everyone that isn’t them. I truly and sincerely hope that if ANY of you are ever in my situation where you are lonesome with your beliefs (which you will be, as we all are eventually), that “people like me” are more kind and accepting.

• Tara

She is right, it has become too much like a gang mob. Please just agree to disagree.

NO ONE likes a bully. Especially me.

• NoH8!

Whilst I really wanted to write a harsh disagreement with you, your argument is valid and is true. And surprisingly, mostly to myself;)- I agree with your point.

We can have contrary views but it does not make us “haters” that’s what makes the country so great. The freedom to voice our opinion.

You out of everyone replied?! What a surprise! On a serious note – I think you should reread your previous comments, first statement and then ask yourself that question a few more times. You’ll get it eventually. :)

• NoH8!

Um, all you have accomplished is to prove her argument. Ironically I probably fall more into your line of thinking, but she is 100% correct with what she says. You manage to come off angry and somewhat like a child.

• Anonymous@richmondVA

Sorry anonymous but You make absolutely no sense at all. Nice try being cryptic here. Like the other poster I agree with her argument maybe not the personal beliefs.

You seem at a loss for words on how to maturely respond to an honest critique.

• Anon

Tara, while I do not necessarily agree with your more conservative personal beliefs, I think this answer was very mature, articulate and does make a lot of sense. To call anyone a woman hater is doing nothing to advance our gender. If we do not allow free thought what the h*ll have we come to.

7. Jules

I feel like this a very awkward cover for Life & Style. Maybe they were the only people who would buy the photos, but I feel like these are more of the W magazine type photos.

that was my thought too! life & style?! no offense to the magazine, but it’s mariah carey! it doesn’t seem so “artistic” with life & style splashed across in that horrible font.

I’d rather her naked not pregnant it seems to me this naked pregnant pi has jumped the shark

What a beautiful photograph. Mariah looks gorgeous. I can’t wait for her babies to arrive.

10. Tara

Ok I am being a granny again, but what is this incessant need to bare all once you become pregnant. It’s not that beautiful to be honest. My stomach looked like a train map personally.
    My theory is so many celebrities tend to opt to pose naked when they are pregnant because they know that if anyone dare criticize their bodies , feminist groups would be all over them for being anti- woman.

• Tina

So glad someone else said this. I thought if I put it I would be jumped on for being “judgmental”. I am sorry ask anyone and they will tell you the pregnant body is not attractive, especially late term. That said, why the urge to show yourself off. I agree with Tara- they wait to do it until they are pregnant because any flaws they have will not be dissected and written off as part of the “beautiful pregant” experience.

And also- I am not a prude, I used to be a hooters waitress to out myself through college, so have nothing against showing yourself off.

How sad that they need to be pregnant in order to not feel ashamed of their body, or have people finally stop criticizing them (obviously that’s not even true, look at all the backlash from you and everyone else anyway). I’m glad you give yourself a free pass to work at Hooters because it paid for college, but a pregnant woman shouldn’t show off her belly with pride.

• Janna

I disagree. I think pregnancy is beautiful, and it’s wonderful to see someone cherish it even with all its bumps and stretch marks. Especially for someone who, in all likelihood, will only get to experience it once.

I think pregant bellies are fascinating, I never mind seeing them, and if someone wants to show theirs off, go for it.

With that said, this photo is so photoshopped, it’s utterly ridiculous.

• Helene71

But if it’s so beautiful, why are all the celeb pregnancy shots photoshopped? I can see what Tara and Tina are saying, also your point. It is entirely subjective but not showing the pregnant stomach warts and all is not reality.

If she were on the cover with stretch marks, a protruding belly button and spider veins- I can guarantee you the magazine would not sell..I think the critique that they only get the courage to do this when they are pregnant, since no one dare insult a pregnant woman, is spot on.

11. Courtney

people have done shots like this for a while now it’s nothin new. nobody complained when Christina Aguilera did it for the January 2008 cover of Marie Claire. why the double standard just because Mariah is older

I’m sure people did complain about Christina Aguilera too. You just didn’t happen to read it because you only read posts about Mariah Carey.

• Tara

I think anyone who does it, Demi, Britney, christina, Miranda – it’s not attractive to ME. Where in my post did I state an age specific opinion.

12. ladyluscious

She looks beautiful. She sure has the pregnancy glow

13. Bella

Cute although I don’t see the whole big idea with showing off your stomach to millions of people.