Halle Berry Scraps Broadway Plans Due To Custody Issues

Halle Berry Scraps Broadway Plans Due To Custody Issues

It looks like Halle Berry is sending her regards to Broadway.

The Oscar-winning actress will no longer be appearing in Katori Hall’s The Mountaintop, citing “child-custody issues” over her 3-year-old daughter, Nahla.

Despite news that Berry and ex, Gabriel Aubry, had reached a mutual agreement regarding the custody of their daughter after a bitter dispute, The New York Times now reports that the 44-year-old actress was “all but confirmed” to play the role of “Camae” alongside Samuel Jackson, but recently dropped out of the production.

Ms. Berry would not be appearing in the role due to child-custody issues,” the producers of the play announced in a statement.

But as we know – the show must go on.

The Mountaintop will still be opening on Broadway this fall. No word has yet been released on Halle’s replacement.

This is the second role that Berry has given up due to her on-going custody battle with Aubry. She was previously slated for a large part in the star-packed film, New Year’s Eve, but because Gabriel did not agree with her taking Nahla to New York with her while she filmed, Halle opted for a smaller role.

Filed under: Celebrity Moms,Halle Berry

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

1. Olivia

None of us commenting here have any clue as to what Halle’s or Gabriel’s intentions have been or currently are when it comes to their daughter. All we can assume is that most probably they both love their daughter. It is amazing how people judge so easily and readily.

2. AC

Halle financed Gabe’s trip to S. Africa to be a PAID caregiver. He did not follow them to be with Nahla as a caring father. Also, Gabe made the racist comment that he sees Nahla as “white”.

If the court awarded custody to Gabriel totally without child support, I wonder if he would be fighting as hard for his so-called rights? Probably not. Every body seems to wanna come down hard on Kevin Federline because Britney pays him child support (due to her illness) because he has custody of their boys and yet Gabriel is in the same or similiar boat.

Don’t forget when Halle was filming in Africa, Gabriel went along as a PAID caregiver for his own child. Hmmm? Why didn’t he speak up when and if his name was left off the birth certificate? My guess is that he never imagined that he would be kicked off the gravy train and so he couldn’t cared less. Only when his funds were to cut off did he show any concern that he would be losing out as a father in Nahla’s life. This guy is a lot of explaining to do and I hope Halle wins this case.

4. Amy

I find the opposite majority of judges today, view shared custody as a good thing because there are so many fathers today who are not in their children lives which has been proven to be damaging to children. My sister was upset at first but once see seen how happy her daughter is now that she gets to spend a lot of time with both parents she see it as a good thing; I don’t see how she was the victim of a of a biased judge I think it was a fare ruling that benefited both parents and child now my sister doesn’t have to pay for child care and my niece gets to spend more time with her father win win. I sorry but if your friend lives near her ex then she being selfish her ex only gets the kids one weekend out of the month and two weeks in the summer is just sad I could not image see my father only 26 times a year that seems more damaging to the kids.

• Ryanne

Maybe the problem is your sister not having the decency to be married before bringing a child into the world. Do not blame law on the lack of obvious morality of your sister.

• Disgustedwithidiots

You have difficulty forming a coherent sentence. Thus regardless of your point I doubt anyone could take much stock in what you are trying to convey.

• Chloe

I saw my father only 3 times a year and I turned out fine. He chose not to be an involved part of our lives and like halle’s ex only seemed interested in money.
      I am currently in my final year of law school, my two brothers are doctors. I am married with 2 sons as well.

You do not need both parents involved to raise a stable child.

• Anon

The law is the law. Think what you want

5. NA

Tara@ you seem like a selfish person from your comment “A child should not be shuttled around and if it means one parent loses out, so be it” what kind of logic is that the other parent doesn’t just lose out but the child as well, I hope you don’t kids because if you did and you’re not together with the father they would never see him.

I disagree with you NA. Look at Charlie Sheen and his ex, those kids are screwed by either of their parents. They are better off without them in their lives. Don’t be so frigging judgmental. Not all cases are black and white.
      Is it wrong of her to say that parents do not get automatic rights? It is ONLY if the parent has acted like a parent should. Otherwise I agree with her.

• AnonymousMomfromphilly

Put your foot in it much?

• Tara

For your information I have a two year old son, who was abandoned by my husband, his father at two months old. A month ago his ” father” decided he changed his mind and wanted to be a part of his life. I went to court and fortunately the judge agreed and my husband lost ALL rights to my son. A child is not a piece of property that can be used at one’s whim.
      I am not the selfish one- my Childs father is. I am the one who is with him for 24 hours a day, dealing with the good and the bad. I did not leave when things became a tad difficult. So why not keep your baseless opinion to yourself. We are doing just fine and my son is far from suffering. I SOLELY provide him with a nice home, a vacation home, the ability for top notch education, he lacks for nothing tangible. BUT MORE importantly he has my undivided attention, affection and love, as well as being surrounded by a wonderful support group that includes the type of male role model he deserves. Biology does not mean you are a parent. Decency, honor and respect do.

In your case I think your action was justified. However I do think that if possible children should get to know their parents regardless. I know I will be crucified for saying this, but I had a friend who was extremely abusive to her son and a drug addict. She was like you financially stable, so it went unnoticed for awhile since she did not fit the stereotype. It took awhile but she got her act together and now has custody of her kids again. She has slipped once or twice with regards to drugs, but I do think she has a right to her kids. She is their mom.

• Anon

NA did not deserve any response to her ignorance. But good luck to you, you seem like you have you head on straight.

• Chloe

You go girl!

6. Mandy23

Anonymous 7:37am@ she not keeping the child from him because they are close to custody agreement the they both agree on which was reported last week. As you see Halle has not been photograph with Nahla a lot lately because she with her father and we all know if you saw a picture of Halle Nahla was there too in the past so something must be working.

FYI the producers drop Halle from the play because they couldn’t rely on her to be there and not the other way around.

This is the second time that Halle Berry has tried to distance Nahla from her father and deny him access to his child. She deliberately left Nahla’s father off the birth certificatehas and has a history of defiling her ex’s in the press.
    This is not about Nahla I believe it is her selfish narcissism at work again.

Can’t you idiots read? Halle is not putting the child first. Her white baby daddy is Forcing her to put the child first by fighting her in court every time she tries to take a role that requires her to move the kid to that location where such film is being shot. If she had a child with a Black Man her career would be safe. That white boy is spiteful just like a woman. Oh well you get what you deserve in the end.

I also on team Hallie.

It almost seems from these comments that no one was around when she started this custody mess — when she wouldn’t let her daughter’s father see her and take of her — she is not sacrificing her career for her daughter, she is doing this so he can’t spend the time with her! She’s a very selfish, self-centered, and self-absorbed women who thinks of no one but herself! And this publicity about this just makes that point more. Oh poor Halle, she had to drop out, blah, blah, blah!

• Tara

First of all the manner in which about 40% of the anonymous posts are written here,makes me assume it’s the same person. NO one disputes that she has some decidedly negative character flaws. Yes she has anger issues, yes she comes off a tad racist. I for one despised her rational with regards to the Childs ethnicity and race. However let’s not forget that the only reason the father became so vocal was because of the almighty dollar. When she made the filing in court for custody, his bank account was drastically affected. His motives to seek custody were less than honorable. Does he love his child, most likely but I have severe issues with a parent, mother or father, who seem to become ” devoted” overnight when their meal ticket is in jeopardy. A child should not be shuttled around and if it means one parent loses out, so be it. Stability is what matters at this stage in her life. Plus they are not married, as draconian the laws may seem with regards to this , the mother has the majority of the rights if they are not legally together in the eyes of the law.

• Anon

You are 100% correct with regards to the law, see my post below. My sister is a family lawyer in Pennsylvania, and my father was a district court judge in the 90s.

• Lio

You’re re-writing history my friend. G.Aubry was there for Nahla all the time. After the break-up (but long before the custody battle), he followed H.Berry in South Africa during three months, just to be with his daughter. At that time, tabloids were praising the couple for handling the break-up with such grace… Poblems came when H.Berry found a new man (her right) and decided he should be Nahla’s new father (not right).

11. Tazina

Well, there wouldn’t be a problem if she would let the father have equal access to his daughter. Instead she appears to be putting legal roadblocks in his path wasting time and money on both their counts. Can you say “Kim Basinger?”

Just like the rest of the men in Halle’s past, this is probably seeking money and fame. He loves the control he has over her because of the child. No other man was able to control Halle; and he can only do it because of the child. Did you know who he was before Halle? He loves the publicity. He is not giving that up. Halle most certainly has a reason for keeping the child from him. She had an estranged relationship with her own father and knows what it is like to not have a father around. She most certainly would not subject the child to that pain she knows oh too well without cause. The history you speak of, her past behavior, was caused by something the men did to her and this one is no different. Everyone can pass judgement until you are in the same position. Stop hating on Halle because she won’t take anyone’s mess. Oh, and as far as the comments about race, remember she is half white, bi-racial, like her child so I don’t think she is being insensitive. She is not letting anyone define her child as just white.

13. LaKesha

I love this Mother, although she’s being forced to put aside her career–something fathers are never asked to do.

Halle Berry Scraps Broadway Plans Due To The Fact That She Can’t Act. Who is she kidding, she STARTED this custody battle and now she has to deal with the consequences

15. Anon

Think what you will about her, here is a woman who puts her child before herself.

No, a mother who puts her child first typically doesn’t drag her ugly custody battle into the media. Nor does she act like an out-of-control raging nutcase when he ex asks for more time with the child he has helped raise. She also doesn’t user stupid, racist terms like the One Drop Theory to describe her bi-racial child.

You can be a working mother and a loving mother.

• Tara

This is not a working mom debate. Not one person has said anything like that. Why is the subject of working v stay at home always brought up? A stay at home mom can be considered selfish as well, if she is ” at home” only in name. I am a stay at home mom, but notice when I take my child to the park, many other kids are there with a nanny while mom is getting her hair and nails done.

This is about whose sudden interest in custody came as a result of a change in financial situation. I do not like Halle as a whole and I for one found the race debate extremely offensive. However when a father who regarded his daughter as no more than a playmate in the past, suddenly seeks custody because under California law the parent with physical custody, MUST be supported by the non custodial parent if finances permit, that’s a bit questionable. I do not care if you are the mother or father. NO one gets automatic rights to child simply because of biology. She has shown much more flexibility and sacrifice on her part than he has. One can argue that because he has less of a career than she has, his sacrifice has been minimal at best. No honorable court will allow a child to be treated like a pawn in an adult game of one upmanship. My point merely is towards his questionably altered motives when his free ride ultimately may be taken away.

• Lio

• Lio

You are re-writing history, my dear. G.Aubry was there for his daughter all the time. Long before the custody battle, but after the break-up, he followed H.Berry in South Africa where she was doing a film during three months, just to be with his daughter. Problems aroused when H.Berry decided to start a new relationship with O.Martinez (which was totally her right) and that he shoud be Nahla’s new daddy (which she was not!)

• Anon

Completely agree. His interest certainly changed when his bank account did. He is nothing more than an opportunist. She may be a b*tch, but he had no problems with her until after the fact. Additionally I know many woman who may not have been the most wonderful spouses or girlfriends but have been amazing moms. Why can a guy be a bastard and no one questions his parenting ability, but god forbid a woman is string and fights for her rights. Like you I dislike Halle, but believe she has Nahla’s best interest at heart.

16. Tara

It’s funny, I was just thinking the same EXACT thing. I have had my issues with her in the past, most recently that somewhat selfish “nahla is black” comment. But it does seem that she is one of the few celebrities who truly puts her kid before anything. You can tell she adores her.

True. She waited a long time to have kids and truly considers her daughter to be a blessing. If anyone else was in her place, they wouldn’t give her up without a fight either.

17. Amy

First off who said he became devoted over night Halle herself before the incident always praised him as a father before and after the break up saying how he was always there for their child and even when they were fighting she never said that he suddenly wanted to be a father.

Where do you get because they’re not married the mother has the mother has the majority of the rights if they are not legally together in the eyes of the law your wrong on that part. The mother and father may loses out legally because they’re not married but that has nothing to do with the child no judge is going to say O your not married so you as the mother gets majority of the rights to the child no the judge will look at what’s best for the child weather the parents were married or not. My sister just went thought this with her ex boyfriend he wanted more time with my niece and the judge heard both side and he won now he has my niece every day after school and every other weekend, not once did them not being married become a factor in their custody battles in the eyes of the law.

• Anon

Each state has their own laws regarding custody and the fact is- if you are married there are mandates that equalize parental rights. However if UNMARRIED 32 states view the mother as having what is called authoritative rights. The ONLY state that recognizes both man and woman EQUAL without marriage is the state of Delaware.

In fact the majority of judges today, view shared custody as damaging to the child. They opt for the liberal visitation but due to the cases of abduction and the blurred rules regarding transporting the child state to state vis a vis country to country- they place PHYSICAL custody( which covers all educational, medical, religious and moral decisions up to one party- particularly when the split has been contentious). THIS is what is in the best interest of the child.

And whether or not you believe it, courts are very traditional with regards to view of marital laws. So your sister could have been a victim of a biased judge. In fact my friend who was married to her husband for ten years received sole custody of their two children, despite the fact that her husband was a ” good” guy. He has to pay her $7500 a month in child support and gets the kids one weekend out of the month and two weeks in the summer. Each case is subjective.

• Anon