Chaz Bono: I Would Love To Talk To Brad & Angelina About Shiloh

Chaz Bono: I Would Love To Talk To Brad & Angelina About Shiloh

Chaz Bono knows what it’s like to grow up with gender identity issues in the public eye. That’s exactly why the child of Cher and the late Sonny Bono says that he’d like to offer some assistance to another famous pair — Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, whose 4-year-old daughter, Shiloh, and her tomboy style has been the subject of many headlines.

“I would love to talk to [Brad and Angelina] at some point,” Bono, 42, tells E! News. “To at least let them know we have this resource for them if they ever need it.”

Chaz, who up until recent years was known as Chastity, volunteers for a group of children with gender identity issues and their families.

“I relate to these kids,” says Bono. “The difference between them and myself is that I didn’t articulate it and fight for it and say, ‘No, no, no! I’m a boy!’ I have so much respect for these kids that do.”

Though he’d never assume that Shiloh’s decision to dress “boyishly” meant that she was struggling with her own gender identity, Chaz says that the media’s obsession with her has fortunately brought more attention to transgender issues, and if the Jolie-Pitt family ever needed his insight, he’d be more than willing to help.

People get too freaked out about kids and what to do with kids. If you just let kids do what they need to do they usually have the right idea,” says Chaz.

“For me, part of the way that I got through my fears is by reading books and seeing documentaries of people who transitioned before me,” he adds. “So I look at myself as one of those people who are just out in the community and the difference is that I just have a little bit of a larger reach.”

Chaz’s memoir, Transition: The Story of How I Became a Man, was just released today (May 10). Bono’s journey is also documented in Becoming Chaz, which airs on the Oprah Winfrey Network.

Filed under: Celebrity Kids,Chaz Bono,Shiloh Jolie-Pitt

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

Idiot

There is something very creepy about an adult woman/man trying to indoctrinate a toddler I to her way of thinking. If every girl that dressed as a tomboy was diagnosed as having gender identity issues the problem of having these type of people would become obsolete. We would all have freaking boys.
    Chaz stop trying to make yourself relevant. I am glad you found the right choice for yourself but please do not make this a personal crusade for you. Let us latent our children ourselves.

I AGREE

Totally agree !

• AJ

Anonymous, when I first started reading this article I was thinking Chaz was totally jumping the gun and assuming things about Shiloh that he’s in no place to assume. However, he apparently made it a point to specify that he’s not assuming Shiloh is having a gender crisis, but the idiotic media is making it seem that way, and I think that’s what he’s referring to. Now I don’t think he should be trying to talk to Brad and Angelina about it and I don’t think it’s any of his business, but I do think that accusing him of trying to “indoctrinate” kids with his ideas is really ignorant.

Kids are bound to experiment and test the waters while they’re developing their identities, and Shiloh has two older brothers who I’d bet she looks up to. I always looked up to my older brothers and wore their hand-me-downs, and now I couldn’t be much more feminine if I tried. Maybe Shiloh will always be a tomboy, I don’t know and it doesn’t affect me either way, but that doesn’t automatically mean transgendered and I wish the media would stop making it seem so. Personally I think she’s adorable and I think it’s sweet that she likes to run around with toy swords and shields and wear army print. She seems like a fun kid.

• Jen

Did you read the story????? What you said doesn’t even make sence. Chaz is his name. And he’s not trying to “indoctrinate” into no way of thinking. Its the way of thinking of the people who see pictures of the way this lil girl is dressed. That raised the issue on the situation. The child is able to choose what she wants to wear. thats obvious. How many of us were given that choice as a child??????? Tomboys act boyish and dont dress girly, Being a tomboy doesnt mean you want to be a boy. But this child does do a lil more than act boyish. Which is why the whole issue is being discussed. I bet the kid could tell ya if she wanted to be a boy, and if she did, then what? Maybe the info Chaz would like to pass along would benefit their daughter. Who are you to tell someone to stop making their self relavant? EVERYONE is relevant. Personal Crusade? What? Xhaz is doing this all over the world? Get a life!

3. Tara

Her/his intentions are probably genuine, but I agree with anonymous she should most likely leave it alone. Most girls are tomboys to an extent and I doubt that the majority have any identity crisis. There is such a thing as being too politically correct.

“Most girls are tomboys to an extent” – Not true.

• Chloe

Actually I am a school teacher and most girls are very athletic and stronger these days so they would be considered tomboys. Doesn’t mean they want to grow a “p*nis”

It is HIS intentions, not ‘her/his’. Chaz is a man, not a woman anymore. Please stop using this in-between nonsense.

• Tara

Not in the eyes of the state and government. Even the medical community uses neutral terms. Do your research. Go to transgender surgery laws. Chastity/Chaz will not be considered male until after 7 years of hormone treatments. This allows the estrogen levels to be thoroughly filtered. The government will recognize her as a she on all documents such as birth certificate, social security and taxes. So she can call her a “he” as long as she wants but it still won’t be fact until 2016.

• Suzy

Defensive much??

• Tara

If someone is going to correct someone else maybe they should get their facts straight beforehand.

• SMH

If a person decides that they no longer want to be called by their given name but instead a nickname we usually respect them and use their nickname even if by law it’s still not their name. The same goes with Chaz. “He” wants to be referred to as a man, a “he”, and we should just respect that no matter what the law says. Trust me I don’t care for the situation or think it’s right for people like the pregnant “man” to think that he’s actually a “man” when he can give birth. But it is what it is.

• Anon

Being known as Ted instead of Edward is equal to a woman wanting to be referred to as a man?! In what world???? furthermore unless you legally change your documents to those names they are not valid.

• Anonymommy

How is that defensive? She was stating laws. Good on her. Much better than using emotion to get your point across. Or your stellar “defensive much.” comeback.

Yeah because obviously the medical community should count more in a person’s life then say.. the person themselves.

Chaz IS a man. He HAS been a man forever – because that is who HE identifies as.

Maybe you need to start viewing it from a human rights sort of way (which should count more, because who are we to discount how he feels about himself?), instead of always agreeing with the ‘medical community’.

• Tara

Human rights are subjective. It’s crazy to use the “that’s how they view it” excuse not to mention baseless. Like Chloe stated you can change whatever you want about your physical appearance but in the eyes of the law, medicine and basic biology you cannot change what and who you were born as. I personally could not care a less if she wanted to become a horse that’s her choice but do not expect everyone else, including the courts jump at your self made timetable. It’s unorthodox and unfair to assume that others need to follow your own mandates.

another mincing over the top liberal pushing their agenda. Vomits.

• Tara

Human rights have no application here. Any persecution was self imposed. Even if she was a lesbian and remained a woman her rights were covered by law. One cannot be discriminated against based on religion, age, sexual orientation or race. None of that applies to her situation. If you are claiming she falls under sexual persecution then haul Cher and the late sonny Bono into court for the human rights “violation” of providing her with the ” X” chromosome when surely they should have known the years of suffering she would endure!
            Human decency is an entirely different debate- but that is even more subjective than human rights.

What I don’t get is why you feel the need to argue against something that makes someone else who they are.

Are you the ‘law’? Are you the ‘medical community’?

If someone tells me that their name is Sharon, even though their real name is actually Melinda – which is on their birth certificate, their driver’s license, their health card, their passport – I am still going to call them Sharon. Because who am I to say any differently?

Here, let me rephrase my original point. Instead of HUMAN RIGHTS.. why not we call this PERSONAL RESPECT.

But whatever, I am done arguing about this issue with you. One of my close friends was born a woman and is now a man, and I would never, ever, ever dare call him ‘her’ just because the ‘medical community’ or the ‘law’ does not consider him a man. Because he is a man, and I will never see it differently.

• Anonymommy

I know this comment was not directed to me but Tara but I need to say something. You make no sense. You are comparing apples AND CHOCOLATE. Altering ones name does not require years of surgery and thousands of dollars. Nor does it require family and friends any true discomfort. Imagine how a parent feels when their child drastically alters their body.Furthermore calling one by a different name does not change who they are. A sex change indeed places
            undue stress on those around you and to be so self serving that you believe everyone else must fall in line goes beyond fair. Glad you had a friend who went
            through this but if my friend expected the entire country and legal system to follow suit I could not support them. Maybe you are a better person than I. Doubt it.

Sounds like she is a better person than you.

• Chloe

“‘her’ just because the ‘medical community’ or the ‘law’ does not consider him a man. Because he is a man, and I will never see it differently”

That’s the whole point right there. You are talking about YOU and what YOU choose to do specifically. What works for you may not work for all, and should not be imposed upon society as a whole. If it’s not requiredby law then one is
            not obligated to follow it. Pure and simple.

4. Cabos

Agree with the first comment. I mean, someone needs to phone Chaz and tell him that not all tomboys have gender issues, nor wanna change their sex. In that case why not have a little chat with Annette Benning’s daughter? Oh, but she’s not famous enough like Shiloh, so maybe that’s the issue. Relevancy.

• Heidi

Chaz is NOT saying that Shiloh has a gender identity issue and was making the point that media and gossipmongers always make such a huge issue of the fact that Shiloh hates wearing feminine clothing. He’s saying “hey, maybe she does but there is every chance that she just likes to dress in more masculine clothing so don’t assume she’s in some kind of identity crisis”. Read what he said again.

With that said, Brad and Angelina are calmly accepting their children for whomever they are and if one of their children identifies as gay or as straight or as having a gender identity issue, they will love that child and honor that child. Their children clearly feel comfortable expressing themselves! Chaz would probably just want to commend them as parents and tell them not to worry, if they are at all worried (which they probably aren’t), because their children will tell them what they need in ways Chaz never could to his parents.

WOW!! that’s just he only word that cme to my mind right now!!

This is what CBS left out from the full interview.

On Shiloh Jolie-PItt
    Bono doesn’t know Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt and wouldn’t assume anything about their daughter Shiloh’s choice to dress more boyishly, but the media’s attention to the story did shed some light on gender identity. “I would love to talk to them at some point,” Bono says, “to at least let them know we have this resource for them if they ever need it.

7. SMH

Just because you dress like a boy and like boy things doesn’t mean you want to be a boy! Shiloh is 4 she’s probably going through a stage. For most kids that’s what it is. My cousin was such a tomboy, hated dresses or anything girly, loved boy toys and sports. But she didn’t not want to change her gender!

I saw this show with Lisa Ling on gender children and it was very eye opening however it still was hard for me to grasp. I wouldn’t want to walk a day in any of these peoples shoes. But I must admit if my child turned to me and said, mom I want to be a boy/girl I’d have a really hard time accepting it. I give Cher a lot of credit for being able to get through this. And i’m glad Chaz is finally happy but I still find the whole thing for me to be odd.

8. Heidi

Shiloh is not just going through a phase, she does say she is a boy and cried about having long hair at which point they revamped her wardrobe and gave her a short haircut. It could be how much she admires her brothers, but it seems like more than that. I don’t care either way, she’s a happy child and will continue to be so. Just had to point it out that its different than a girl wanting to climb trees and go fishing and play with trucks. Its how she identifies herself, her personal style, etc. and she even wanted to be called Jack.

Agreed. This seems like more than a phase.

• Chloe

Ok “Drs anonymous and Heidi”. You have to this conclusion based on hours of sit down personalized meetings with Shiloh? Or are you merely basing this on random pictures of a (gasp) little girl with short hair, who wears jeans and tees. Give me a frigging break. Just because someone wants to be called a guy and has surgery to SORT OF make that a reality does not make them male. Jesus I could get a boob job, dye my hair, grow about 10 inches and call my myself Giselle but it still will never make me a supermodel.

HeidBP mentioned she wanted to be called Peter or Jack on Oprah in Nov 2008 when she was 2 . She was dressing as a girl for many months after that.Her hair was long in the pics in NOLA in March . What is your professional assessment of that?

Chaz, I’m sorry…. but you still have your girly parts, so therefore you ARE still a woman.

10. Anon569

I see your point put it seems like a phase look at Shiloh now her hair is growing back and has gotten longer and they haven’t cut it again yet. I use to cry when my mom would make me were dresses I was a tomboy from grad school all the way through high school, now I love dressing up wearing heels hell I wear 4in heels now and I’am all about fashion and my mom and sister come to me about fashion advice when before I was the last one they would come to.

She wanted to be called Jack when she was 2 or 3 nether parent have mentioned about her wanting to be called Jack since then and when they do talk about Shiloh being a tomboy they mentioned that she went through a phase where she wanted to be called Jack because her favorite movie at the time was Peter Pan for them to say that it must mean she over being called Jack now.

11. Anon569

Heidi@ I see your point put it seems like a phase look at Shiloh now, her hair is growing back and has gotten longer and they haven’t cut it again yet. I use to cry when my mom would make me were dresses I was a tomboy from grad school all the way through high school, now I love dressing up wearing heels hell I wear 4in heels now and am all about fashion and my mom and sister come to me about fashion advice when before I was the last one they would come to.

She wanted to be called Jack when she was 2 or 3 nether parent have mentioned about her wanting to be called Jack since then and when they do talk about Shiloh being a tomboy they mentioned that she went through a “phase” when she wanted to be called Jack because her favorite movie at the time was Peter Pan for them to say that it must mean she over being called Jack now.

When my daughter was little, she would cry if I made her wear pretty clothes. She hated girly things. My son was quite effeminate when he was small and I was sure he was going to be gay. My daughter was 26 last week and about to get married, she’s the most girly girl I know. My son is 28, he has a gorgeous wife and they have their first child on 1st October, all going well. Let kids be kids, start pushing this rot on them when they ask, not when the media decides. I’m astounded that people like Chaz, or anyone else for that matter, are taking this seriously enough to even talk about it. It’s sad, actually.

• ANON

I agree it’s becoming pathetic this overly obsessive need for expression. Jesus let it go people. Not everyone is struggling with their identity, gay, straight, man, woman. Most kids just want to be able to have fun- it’s the adults pushing their own agenda on everyone else to make themselves seem relevant. If anyone is screwing kids up today it’s those who feel the need to find troubles where there are none!

13. Anonymous9

Why is Chaz talking about a small child they don’t even know? Really inappropriate.

I’m sure if Shiloh has an gender identity issue Brad and Angie will consult a professional with decades of experience not a person whose claim to fame is as Cher’s child.From my understanding Chaz didn’t get involve in the TG community until 2008.

Why is Chaz Bono talking about a child that he doesn´t even know? If Shiloh wants to dress like a boy so what? It´s just a phase in her life. Like someone said she has two older brothers that she seems to look up to. She is letting her hair grow longer again and seems that she wants to have a long hair like girls – not all but many – have. No matter how she dresses she still is a beautiful little GIRL and will one day be a stunning beauty just like her mum Angelina Jolie. Chaz should leave the Jolie-Pitt family alone and let Shiloh dress as she pleases. There sure will be a time that we´ll be seeing Shi in beautiful dresses and so what if she prefers wearing jeans and T-shirts? It´s her choice. So Chaz Bono should mind his own business and leave this soon 5-year-old little girl alone!

I think if Shiloh had gender identity issues AJ would be referring to her by her male name in interviews. Also Brad and Angie would consult a therapist/ profesional not Cher’s child. Lastly Shiloh’s hair was long in NOLA pics What is your assessment of that?

17. Katherine Mc

Just by raising this issue and using Shiloh’s name Chaz is fueling this inappropriate discussion about a small child. It is offensive to use Shiloh in this way.

Chaz has been around the biz a long time and she has to have known that by even touching on this it would get plenty of press. I’d like to think that her intentions were benign and she didn;t do this deliberately for her own attention but she is completely out of bounds to even allow herself to be sucked into this quagmire.

18. tryecrot