Brad Pitt’s Controversial Joke: “I Beat My Kids Regularly”

Brad Pitt's Controversial Joke: "I Beat My Kids Regularly"

Brad Pitt, 47, was pictured above at the Cannes Film Festival today (May 16) promoting his new flick The Tree of Life. The father-of-six said he was initially hesitant about taking the role of a stern, authoritarian father in the film because he was concerned how it would affect his children.

I think of everything I do now that my kids are going to see when they grow up and how are they going to feel,” the dad-of-six told reporters. “But they know me as a dad and I hope they’ll just think of me as a pretty damn good actor.”

The hunky actor – who plays a father bringing up his family in 1950s Texas – hinted that his own childhood was hardly free of issues.

“I got brought up being told things were God’s way, and when things didn’t work out it was called God’s plan,” he said. “I’ve got my issues with it. Don’t get me started. I found it very stifling.”

Brad is joined at the festival by longtime love Angelina Jolie, who is promoting Kung Fu Panda 2, and their six children.

When asked about his parenting style in relation to the authoritarian father he plays in the movie, Brad joked,

I beat my kids regularly. It seems to do the trick. And I deprive them of meals.”

Papa Pitt’s joke – funny or not?

Filed under: Brad Pitt

Photo credit: Pacific Coast News

funny

ppl are so sensitive now, ppl need to relax and take a joke.

funny, I make the same jokes al the time. People should stop being shocked by every little word and keep their judgement for people who really beat their children or starve them.

3. Janna

That’s a “Controversial Joke”?

{Yawn}

lol Hilarious!

He was obviously joking.

5. klutzy_girl

It was clearly just a joke.

hahaha …waiting for the crazies to start bashing Brad..3,2,1

Its clearly a joke and those people that cant see it for a joke should pull their heads out of their bums immediately!

sounds like the only one who considers it controversial is the author of this post. surprise, surprise.

9. Erica

Controversial?…to whom, exactly?

Anyone who found that controversial needs a life.

10. Tara

Oh God if that’s controversial, then I am surely in the run for the “mommy dearest” award of 2011!

I think it would be different coming from Charlie Sheen, but Brad Pitt saying it? Hilarious. It’s obvious he’s joking, his kids all seem very happy and well cared for. As long as the joke is obvious and doesn’t make anyone wonder “Was he serious?” I don’t think there is any harm in it.

12. Kristen

It’s funny; people need to lighten up. I have a 7-year-old and have never spanked him. He and I joke all the time very similar to above. He knows I would never beat him.

13. melo1983

Yeah he was joking, but is that something to really joke about?

14. Tazina

It’s not that funny but Child and Family Services might not be able to realize it’s a joke and will be over there grilling him about abusing his children. They seem to take everything quite seriously over there and I guess they should.

clearly it’s a joke, but in his case maybe it’s better not to throw that joke out

This was clearly just a joke. If someone doesn´t get this joke it´s his/her problem. There´s nothing “controversial” about this joke.

17. Ashley

LOL…it was obviously a joke. People need to start worrying about their own damn kids, not about the kids of a man who clearly loves them and takes care of them.

18. Country girl

Oh please controversial – really people need to get a sense of humor. He was joking come on.

19. Moo x

I think that’s quite funny, personally.

Nice to see Brad has a sense of humour, he always comes across as pretty serious! x

A joke, of cource, but if u imagine, for 1 second, that such jokes are for many children somewhere a horrible reality and causes their terrible useless death, u would think twice before laughing about such a priceless kind of humor. People, who were such children, believe me, cant just laugh and say: well done, nice humor, i had it in my life and look at me now and what a great life i have and what a great parent i am sure i am with such great memmories that u remind me of with your blessed with humor soul.

All these claims that he loves his kids and was obviously joking how do we really know?

I didn’t think CBS readers would find this amusing

I watched the video. It really wasn’t funny.

Oh puleeeeze! My sister used to ask my son regularly if I’d stopped beating him…YES or NO. She wouldn’t listen to “But she doesn’t beat me”. It was a long-standing joke. No one ever took it seriously (thank goodness, because then I could keep beating him!) ;)

People need to get over it. My kids still laugh and say I “beat” them when clearly they were only occasionally swatted at….ridiculous. I’m sure these kids will hardly feel they had it “rough” when they grow up.

26. scooter

he looks dirty. I think AJ sucked all the handsome out of him.

He is dumb, has one of the lowest IQs in hollywood.

Brad Pitt should be banned from all future films. Lol