Paula Patton: “People Think We’ve Adopted A Russian Child”

Paula Patton: "People Think We've Adopted A Russian Child"

When recent pictures of Jumping the Broom actress Paula Patton‘s son with hubby Robin Thicke emerged, the web went crazy with everyone buzzing about the adorable 1-year-old’s blonde hair and blue eyes.

But in an appearance on Chelsea Lately, Paula assured fans that no, the couple did not adopt a Russian baby, and yes, she is in fact Julian‘s biological mother.

“Blackness takes time,” joked Patton, who said that people often mistake her for the nanny when she’s out in public with her son.

Though she says — in jest — that she’s threatened to cover the tot in baby oil and sit him out in the sun, Paula’s certain that little Julian will start to look more like his mother in due time adding, “A tan is coming in, the hair’s curlier…..”

So, it’s okay. In the case of Julian Thicke, Paula Patton is the baby’s mother!

Filed under: Celebrity Kids,Celebrity Moms,Julian Thicke,Paula Patton

Photo credit: Flynet

That poor woman having to justify herself to others! Persoanlly I have albiniosim and look nothing like my parents or siblings in skin tone or hair colour. But I share similarities in facial features. People can be so rude!

2. Colleen

I understand where she is coming from. People ask my eleven year old if he is adopted all the time including his peers and he is truly offended. It breaks my heart when he tells me and is upset. He is such a beautiful child.
    Paula and Robin’s son is gorgeous.

Wow, I can’t believe the racist comments made by her about her own son. “Blackness takes time”, “the tan is coming in, the curly hair”. Why does he have to look “black”? To me, he looks like his white father. If she was so conccerned about how her child looked and whether or not his skin was dark or hair was curly, she should have married about a black man. She should thank God she has a healthy child and stop worrying about his “blackness”. What a ridiculous and selfish comment.

You must be white to make this stupid comment. Of course she wants her own child to have “blackness” like her as a mother. Why should the father take all the credit for how the child looks? She wants him to look like he has both white and black parents which he has. White folks always want to take credit for everything. Black people know exactly what she means and you would not understand period.

• interracial

its not a selfish comment, if you have read and understood what she meant you would have realize she was being sarcastic.

• anonymous

It was joke jesus christ can people not joke anymore. She didn’t say she wasn’t blessed to have a healthy child.

• Kels

Your comment makes logical sense – Health over a child’s perceived racial identity.
      He looks like his father and there is nothing wrong with that. Usually a person who is mixed with black is identified as black by society. (Patton is bi-racial but looks “black”). Sometimes a mixed-race child doesn’t look “mixed” at all. There is no guarantee that a mixed-race child will actually look like both parents – same as children who aren’t mixed.
      People like to label someone and get confused when someone who is supposed to look “black”, comes out looking another way.
      Moreover, I think sometimes people want to show their own racial/ethnic pride while being in an interracial relationship. Or she was probably just making a joke.

• alex

what a disgusting black woman, she knows that blacks are selfhaters

I have pictures of Sherry Marcel Hill!!! She is Paula Maxine Patton’s lookalike or Paula Maxine Patton herself grown-up with a nose job. The picture in Harper’s Bazaar looks almost identical to Sherry Marcel Hill. She just vanished from the grid. I am just saying! Aren’t you a bit curious about her early childhood?

who?

People are soooo IGNORANT. It is absolutely unbelievable that such attitudes, which are racist, are still prevelant the 21st century. Makes me think of the stupid remarks which came out of Halle Barry’s mouth about her daughter’s genetic heritage and “color” ostensibly directed at her caucasian ex and father of her daughter.

6. Shirilicious

Wow, people are really rude and racist! Who asks if you’re the biological parent to your child. And to assume she must be the nanny just because her skin is not completely white. Unbelievable.

7. I love Sundaes

Paula was joking didn’t you people read that. Jessica Alba said pretty much the same thing, that she wanted a little brown baby. Stop taking this so seriously for goodness sakes.

8. SMH

From that side profile though he looks just like his father!

9. Lou x

God, how awful must she feel needing to state that publicly. Poor woman. Of course he is hers, i can’t believe people would suggest otherwise if there have been pictures of her pregnant etc.

I hope the people that questioned her being his biological mother feel awful. (as should those suggesting Victoria Beckham isn’t really pregnant, John Travolta’s baby was born by a surrogate and their pregnancy faked, etc).

10. Anony...

There are white people with curly hair…such as me. Ignorance is a tough. Having a parent of different skin colors, the child may be a total mix or just like one of them. “One drop” kind of talk? Seriously? In 2011? Please, how sad!

11. Reply to "Anonymous"

Kid’s white. Period. End of sentence. No amount of baby oil is gonna change that. Gurl better break out the sunscreen.

Think the point is that black is a dominant gene – high school biology – and that if his mother isn’t white, people would expect him to look dark skinned as well. He has obviously inherited some recessive genes from her. Cute kid.

13. Audrey

Attractive parents, cutie-pie baby, and a Mom with a sense of humor. This kid is lucky.

14. Lizzig

I had the same thing happen to me. My son is darker then myself and at first people asked if I was babysitting or I had adopted but the most idiotic question was if I put my 6mth old son in the sun to darken his skin!! 12 years later people still are shocked to find out that I (Caucasian) am the mother of a dark skinned child.
    Paula and Robins son is adorable. Even if the skin doesnt change he will still be adorable.

What an ignorant comment from Paula. She is biracial and married to a white man.(any combo is possible). If you wanted a black baby you should have married a black man. She isn’t looking all that “black either… I’m surprised at her attitude. As a mixed person she should have known there was a chance for her kid would not look black.

I agree whole heartly, I always admired Paula Patton, at glance you think she is hispanic or other hawaii pacific islander or bi-racial, but watching her clip on the Chelsea late nite talk show I lost some respect for her. Her mother is a European Teacher and her father was a black american lawyer. She dated her caucasian boyfriend Robin for years being ashamed as a teenager that she had a caucasian boyfriend who would eventually become her husband. Paula is bi-racial that beautiful skin which has a tan is the product of black and european.
      Chelsea asked her what was she and her reply was African American she still came out of the womb of a European woman and the fact that she is dissing her mother who carried her for 9 months is a damn shame just to express she is so called African American. SHE IS CONFUSED AND FEELS SHE HAS TO REPRESENT THE BLACK RACE WHICH IS FINE BUT SHE CAME OUT OF A CAUCASIAN EUROPEAN MOTHER AND FACT SHE IS EXCLUDING HER BI-RACIAL JUST TO PLEASE THE MEDIA THAT SHE BLACK HUH!!! HER OFFSPRING IS COMING OUT FAIR BECAUSE THAT WHAT SHE GETS FOR TRYING TO BE SSSOOOO BBBBBLLLLAAAACCCCKKKKKK!!!! SHE IS A FAKE ASS BLACK PERSON !!!!! IF SHE WAS SUCH THE STRONG BLACK WOMAN THAT SHE TRIES TO REPRESENT IN THE MEDIA WHY IS SHE MARRIED TO A WHITE MAN???? SHE HAS BEEN WITH ROBIN THICKE FOR OVER 20 YEARS!!!! Her children will be fair….. KARNMA COMING BACK BECAUSE SHE IS ASHAMED OF HER EUROPEAN!!! I AM A TR-RACIAL WHICH I AM CONSIDERED TO BE A COLORED EUROPEAN AND I WOULD NEVER BE ASHAMED OF MY DNA WHICH MADE ME!!!! That 1 drop rule was used for The Jim Crow Time to control the blacks in the south. Scientifically that is not true about the 1 drop rule!!!!! PEOPLE ARE IGNORANT IN HOLLYWOOD!!! AS HALLE BERRY SAID!!! SHE IS AFICAN AMERICAN SHE IS FULL OF SH!!!! JUST LIKE PAULA PATTON THEY STILL IS MIXED WITH WHITE CAUCASIAN TO GET THAT BEAUTIFUL BRONZE SKIN !!!! THAT IS A FAKE BLACK PERSON !!!! I LOST SOME RESPECT FOR THESE TWO ACTRESSES BOTH HAVE CAUCASIAN MOTHER’S AND YET IS RAINING WITH THE TITLE OF AFRICAN AMERICAN NOT EVEN FULL BLACK!!!! ALL ABOUT RECCESSIVE AND DOMINANT GENE POOL!!!! PAULA AND HALLE IS FULL OF SH!!! LEAVE THE GORGEOUS CAUCASIAN MEN ALONE AND GET A BLACK MAN IF YOU ARE SO BLACK!!!!! WHATEVER!!! BOTH WOMAN ARE CONFUSED AND SOCIETY HAS MADE THEM CHOOSE A SIDE!!!!

You obvioulsy have some deep issues with who you are. These women have a right to choose who they want to be no mattter what. I am sure if they identified with being white you wouldn’t have a problem. It’s as if someone should not want to be black, as if they should always choose white over black. Well those days are over!! There are some biracial people that refuse to be identified as being black no matter which race parent carried and birth them.

Well then it’s just like some here have already said: If being black is such an issue for her to the point where she doesn’t even want to be referred to as bi-racial and she wants her baby to be seen as black, then she should have married a black man! She’s an attractive woman and she could have certainly married one if she wanted to. Then it would have been much less of an ‘issue’ for her regarding the apperance of her child. Paula seems to want to have her cake and eat it too. And so do many other people when it comes to race I’ve noticed. They want to tell everyone how proud they are and how great their race is but yet they choose to marry someone of another race. WTF is that about!

• Lisa

Here’s an idea…maybe she married Robin because…get this…. she loves him? Not everyone who marries outside of the black community has self hate issues. I’m sure she’s very proud to be black, but married Robin nonetheless because he’s the PERSON (race be damned) who happened to catch her heart. It’s difficult for black women who have biracial babies, a lot more difficult than it is for white women or women of other races who have biracial babies. People assume that black + white = caramel/light brown but genetics is way more complicated than that. When people see black women with a lighter baby they hit her with the “nanny” stigma yet when they see women of other races with a darker baby they just assume the father is black. It’s not right. Besides, y’all know Paula was joking.

• MrsLewis

Paula was kidding. she made those comments about her son’s color and hair because she is tired of unexposed people approaching her for their sole purpose to ask a person question. she answered chelsey’s about being bi-racial, she admitted she was bi-racial… view the video again.most black people havery some mixed genes (most popular native Americans, white…)it was obvious she is somewhat annoyed about the inquiries. maybe if someone inquired about your medication you may be a bit annoyed as well.and it does take time for some people to develop a darker skin tone… I was very light as a child, but thru outdoor sports and summer campus i am now a carmel complexion. my mother looks latino and my dad has native Americans and black… but guess what we’re still African Americans .

• Min Zee

First of all, for those of you who say she looks “Hispanic” Hispanic is not a race. so you sound just as ignorant as everyone else. All “race” including “white” race is a social construct that continues to ruin our society. There is one race, it is called the Human Race and all these other labels should just go away. It is ridiculous that people have pick and choose “a race” especially when most if not all are ethnically mixed in this world.

Stop hating on Paula Patton. Alfie Woodard is married to George Lucas(Star Wars) white man. Is she black enough? Janet Jackson is married to s European white man. What comment do you have now?

Is Paula Maxine Patton who she says she is? She resembles a woman from Hopewell, Virginia with a nose job name Sherry Marcel Hill. Is it a coincidence or lookalike. Her biography only covers back to age 14 but there are no pictures or background information. Is it possible that Sherry Marcel Hill is the same person as Paula Maxine Patton? The height, size and appearance is too coincidental. She just showed up on the grid married to Robin Thicke. If anyone is interested, I have early childhood pictures of Sherry Marcel Hill!!! She is Paula Maxine Patton’s lookalike or Paula Maxine Patton. The picture in Harper’s Bazaar looks almost identical to Sherry Marcel Hill. She just vanished from the grid. Isn’t this strange?

• Mia

I totally agree as she comes from white mother and having a baby with white husband it is quite normal that baby is white … Why are people so racist in USA ? Who says that child should be more black because mother is biracial . I find her comment quite racist .. And why would she say something like that ? Pointless … I did not even know she was biracial as she looked kind of Spanish to me and I wAs convinced she was Latina . Only after watching baggage claim I did research and saw she was from mixed marriage. But having a white mother it is normal she carries her mother genes and her baby looks more like her mum and robin .

Paula’s mom is white and her dad is black. She might consider herself only black but genetics says otherwise. People need to wake up and not deny ANY parts of themselves. Your son looks white.. deal with it. He is beautiful and healthy and that is all that matters. Paula seems to have some racial issues that she needs to work out..otherwise she is going to give her kid a complex. I am certainly not surprised a biracial person and a white person can make a white looking bay.( she shouldn’t be either)

She was joking get over your self’s people.

• SallyAnn

AMEN sister. These people are just like hyenas feasting on a lion cub. She loves her baby. She’s joking about the baby oil comment. White people have curly hair, so that’s not a racist comment. If she was racist, would she have married a white man? probably not. He is a beautiful child and she knows that. It would be a legitimate question to ask if that was her biological child. The answer would be, it doesn’t matter whether or not he was born to her. Adoptive and biological children are raised the same way all over the world. It’s her decision to answer or ignore questions about the child’s heritage, but if I were her I would just say Yes, he’s a hundred percent mine. ( Which could be a phrase used on an adopted child as well) He either looks like his father or there is a recessive gene on either his father or mother’s side that is extremely fair skinned and blonde. Get over yourselves people.

I think she was joking about the blackness. This isn’t a Michael Jackson situation. She is biracial and could pass in either direction. The baby’s father is white and his mother is blonde, so it isn’t shocking that the baby came out caucasian.

Michael’s kids ARE biologically his and they don’t look white at all they are clearly biracial.

• Lisa

I agree with what you’re saying accept the Michael Jackson comment. It’s a terrible misconception that black + white = caramel. Trust me, as someone who studies genetics, this is not always the case. Genetics are highly complicated. As the mother of Michael Jackson’s children is white, it’s entirely possible that the combination of genetic material from Michael and the mother favoured the mother’s genetics, meaning that the children took on a much lighter complexion than typically expected. Think of all the sperm and all the eggs produced by a male and a female. The possibilities of children that could be made are almost endless. It would be naive to say with all the genetic material exchanged that a black man couldn’t possibly make a very light skinned baby with a white woman, the same way it would be stupid to say a white woman couldn’t have a very dark skinned baby with a black man. I’m not saying he is the father, I’m just saying as far as science is aware it is very much a possibility.

I’m Black and my husband is white. Our daughter looks white… So Paula it happens to women with TWO black parents also. Considering your background YOU SHOULDN’T BE SURPRISED. I know you only claim your African American heritage but the reality is your mom is white and that makes you both. Forget about how society sees you and just be yourself. I read in a article that said in the beginning it was hard for her to date Robin because of his race. I was shocked to read that article. She REALLY does have issues.. she is not joking. Can’t image of even joking of putting oil on my daughter to make her “look” more black. She is perfect because she is mine. I don’t give a damn what people think.. SHE knows I am Mama. Paula I AM BLACK .. you are mixed. I was not even that shocked when my baby came out pink..lol

20. lanadani

What a handsome little guy! He looks just like Robins mom.

21. Ashley

Amazing. People are ok with accepting that this child is biracial, but they can’t accept that Micahel’s kids are. Do a google search for pictures of Jackson’s kids with the Smith kids. They are CLEARY biracial. The children do have darker skin than most photos show. It’s a known fact that the media lightens pictures, whether it is to make them stand out more or to make people look a bit different than they really do. Google “media lightens pix of Paris Jackson” and you’ll see. There was a photoshoot done many years ago when Michael was still alive, and the photos that OK magazine released were about 3 shades lighter than the original.

Michael also has Caucasian (and Native American) ancestry on his side, so the children (Prince and Paris, at least…not sure who Blanket’s mama is) had a good chance of coming out pretty light.

• fedup123

First of all Michael Hackson bleached his skin..changed his nose, face and everything else..all black people claim to have native american when truth is it’s more caucasion..Michael kids were artificially inseminated..he hated sex what makes you think he wanted to handle his own sperm …please dont go there. The child is beautiful because he’s human. Yes i am half Cree Indian

I thik eveyone needs to remember that she is half black and half white.

You know we bi racial children have to make lite of the stupidity in the world. and ya’ll white black and otherwise need to relax. We can identify with both sides of racism. We are not black enough or too white for black people and too black for white people. so we just have to find humor in all the bs and that is what Paula is trying to do. Generally speaking bi racial kids do tend to come out white or liter and it does take time for our pigment to set in if it ever does. That is the wornderful thing about genetics. regardless of which parent is black or white, genetics can go back to grandparents, great grandparents, and even to “master”. So it was stupid of someone to say if you want a dark baby you should have married a blackman… no stupid she could have married the blackist smuttiest man on earth but because she is bi racial her baby can still come out white. So know what you are talking about when you make stupid comments like that. Ya’ll might want to check your family tree cause some other race may creep up on you.

why is it other races can say what they want, but when a black person says something there is a problem!!!

• Min Zee

That is absolutely true. When my daughter was only a few hours old, the nurse at the hospital asked me what race I was for the birth certificate and the “white” nurse got offended because I said Caucasian. I am of Mexican and Eastern European ancestry, (all Mexicans are of mixed ancestry and so are eastern Europeans) the nurse insisted I was Hispanic….first of all Hispanic isn’t a race, Mexico is a country, like the U.S.A. and their are people from all over the world that ended up in Mexico. The labels just don’t apply anymore, and they never have for people of Mexican ancestry. We should do away with all of them…the point is that the nurse was ignorant, and since she was asking me the question, I was the one that should answer it. The term Hispanic and Latin was created for purposes of marketing and it certainly as not created and accepted by the Mexican American community…of my generation.

OMG!!! You people are TOO concerned! She was obviously joking around. It’s honestly not that serious…

She isn’t the first person for this to happen to and she isn’t the last. A Peruvian friend of mine who looks very ‘ethnic’ (and I say this being a Latina myself so no offense meant to the girl whom I love dearly!) married a white man and has the WHITEST baby. Adorable kid but blue grey eyes and burns in the sun. If I hadn’t been there while she was HUGELY pregnant I’d swear he isn’t hers. But he is. Recessive genetics are weird like that. Same as I personally have pale skinned blonde relatives with blue and green eyes while I am a little darker than Paula Patton with black hair and brown eyes. My mom is similar in coloring, and my dad is MUCH darker. When my brother was born, he looked white and has slowly tanned from general exposure to the elements and age. It happens. I personally think she was joking, trying to make light of a ridiculous situation and I feel for her. Yes, she does seem to side more with her ‘black side,’ but who knows why. Friends of mine who are biracial tell me sometimes they don’t feel they fit into either world and even I feel that way at times. I look very Latina but I was raised middle class pretty ‘white.’ And I often get commentary from extended family and friends that I am “not Hispanic enough,” so I myself have been known to make smart aleck comments to people who seem obsessed with my coloring.

Bottom line, Paula and Robin made a beautiful kid and I hope they know and appreciate that and can let the rest of the world obsess about it, while they focus on their kid.

28. Taj

One thing is evident Paula and Robin have a beautiful blonde-hair blue eyed baby boy. The great big gigantic smiles and the way Paula eyes illuminate in pictures with her baby speaks volumes of how much she loves her son no matter what color his skin or hair is. Paula, thru her commit to work, long time dedication to her husband, & motherhood has proven her who she is a “phenomenal woman”. Where is it written that u r a racist because u show pride in what is a part of u? Black combined with white is a part of who Paula is. She should not be condemned for embracing the part of herself who she loves. We all have things we embrace more than the other about ourselves.

Michael Jackson’s kids ARE NOT biologically his!!! LMAO!

Ignorance is bliss here in the good ole United States, while the rest of the WORLD is moving fast ahead.. For crying out loud you idiots, She was JOKING!

That is not a pretty baby. Maybe she should say it is Russian.

That is not a pretty baby. Maybe she should say it is Russian.

33. paula

Her first concern and ONLY concern should be for protecting that fair skinned baby. Not to settle any scores. Not to sound cool. Poor child. I hope that Robin will help his son to grow up to feel secure in his physicality.

34. paula

35. paula

You know it’s so funny that white people praise it when a child is born with white skin, blue eyes, and blond hair as if that’s superior to other skin, eyes, and hair color. But when someone wants their child to have more of a tan complextion, it’s a crime. Please people, you all have made blackness seem like a bad thing for years! And know when someone is proud of their blackness, their seems to be a problem because you feel they should not embrace being black. And for the record, their are very few “full” black people. I am a black women, with beautifuly light caramel skin. I have white European, Native American, and African in me, but I cannot pass as white or Native American. So, someone should be allowed to claim whatever they want or identify with most.

37. MrsLewis

If Paula claimed white u would balk, if she claims black balk. The term multiracial is relatlively new… we had nerves, coloreds, black, and now we have named ourselves African Americans… but guess what its true. the term means a person of African descent born on American soil. remember white people created the 1% belief when the general public (white people) bcame aware of bi-racial children being born. Multiracial is a label people can choose. this blog is an example of the confusion and ignorance in society. her publicity probably had her go on that talk show to stop the rumors. duh !

38. MrsLewis

39. MrsLewis

You have to look for it in both of them but to me at first glance, the baby and mom look white. Only when you look for it can you see some black features. The curly almost afro style hair of the child and the full lips of the mother. The npicture itself shows a beautiful mother and child

Considering Paula is biracial this is really a non-issue. Even two apparently black parents have produced children with blonde hair and blue eyes. Its a matter of genetics. People can be so ignorant.

42. Jean Patton

Uh, Robin doesn’t have blonde hair and blues eyes either, so Mother Nature is playing the toss up game, with genetic coding that goes back to the year of the flood. Children don’t always look like the immediate parents, they could come out looking like Aunt Tillie or Great grandpa Jeb from generations ago. Anyway, the sweet angel is 75% white, so she may wait awhile for that blackness to set in.

At first glance, she doesn’t look white to me. She looks mixed. And I understand what she’s saying. My grandmother had a son who looked white when he was born and had green eyes. She was a very light skinned black woman, my grandfather a brown skinned black man. A white woman who shared the hospital room with her assumed my grandmother took her baby. The doctors assured the woman that she was sadly mistaken. It took a few years but my uncle darkened a little. So, I think Paula felt she had to defend herself because she is in the public eye. And maybe her comment about the “blackness takes time” was a joke and maybe not. Regardless, she was telling the truth. And she must feel hurt by that because to those who questioned her because it’s apparent that they obviously weren’t thinking the things we were thinking knowing her background. All of you who criticize her need to cut her some slack and realize that not everybody is gonna handle things the way you do. That’s beauty of the human race. We are all different. Not carbon copies of one another.

At first glance, she doesn’t look white to me. She looks mixed. And I understand what she’s saying. My grandmother had a son who looked white when he was born and had green eyes. She was a very light skinned black woman, my grandfather a brown skinned black man. A white woman who shared the hospital room with her assumed my grandmother took her baby. The doctors assured the woman that she was sadly mistaken. It took a few years but my uncle darkened a little. So, I think Paula felt she had to defend herself because she is in the public eye. And maybe her comment about the “blackness takes time” was a joke and maybe not. Regardless, she was telling the truth. And she must feel hurt by that because it’s apparent that to those who questioned her because obviously weren’t thinking the things we were thinking knowing her background. All of you who criticize her need to cut her some slack and realize that not everybody is gonna handle things the way you do. That’s beauty of the human race. We are all different. Not carbon copies of one another with the same thoughts and feelings

44. Sam Bahamas

She was joking for Christ’s sake!!! To the silly people who are saying that she made racists comments about her son!

My parents are an interracial just like Paula and Rob. My father is a snow white Swiss and my mother is the same shade as Paula basically. In my baby pics I look like a little snowman, but by the time I was 5 I developed a tan and my hair got short, curly, and bronze instead of the former blonde like my dad. Paula Patton is just speaking the truth of what is normal about biracial children. I can’t imagine why so many people are upset. I can identify with her son and I find her comments funny as hell because she is so right!!!

I’m 19 now and my parents always tell people who look at my baby pics that a lot of my relatives called me Casper. lol. Now I am Dothraki tan! Trust me. It is a scientific fact that people of African descent transfer the dominant genetic material that makes up the skin tone of their children.

I learned that a few semesters ago in Into. to Genetics at Brown, but honestly, its kind of common knowledge. (Or so I thought).

Anyway, she is a great actress and super hot!!! Cute kid too.

45. jessi

i saw a picture of her and her son with her side of the family, and HER son looks just like them! he DOES have a part of her in him, it’s just that she’s half black and her white side of the family has some really blonde hair, and her son got THOSE genes from her. of course i can’t see how that would bum her out, seeing as those genes weren’t as expressed in her….but i DID think her kid was adopted when i first saw the photo. i AM considerate enough to never say such a thing bc really it’s rude even if the kid IS adopted.

46. Erica J-W

After all of that most of you still got it wrong! Paula’s father is a “white” German man and her mother is a “black” Jamaican woman. I put white and black in parentheses because the country does not dictate the color of the people who come from there! I am a black woman, who is a military brat! And, between that and the mixed up families of both myself and my black husband I have seen all kinds of mixtures – from my grandfather who had deep blue eyes and was as black as (I’ve seen them come), to my own son who was teased as a baby for being as white as Casper! I quickly put a stop to that, so much so that some family members thought I was strange for not enjoying a comment they clearly felt was a compliment!
    Ignorance is not the fault of one race or the other, it is the fault of us all!! Lets get educated and start embracing the world around us and before long these silly issues will be a thing of the past!!
    I do understand the frustration of Paula, I was extremely tired of people asking me if my husband was white – because my child was so light. Total strangers were so surprised by the color of his skin they just couldn’t help themselves, they would come from across the room if need be(their need to know was that great)! But hell, who am I kidding, people assumed my husband was white even before we had our son, and before they ever met my husband – a well spoken, traveled and educated black women must want a white man – right? I dated a bit of everyone but fell in love with someone who just happened to be black and very much a nerd, but other than that, every opposite of me!
    It takes all kinds to make the world go around people!! The sooner we all embrace our ever changing world, the better off we will all be!!!

47. Erica Rogers

The baby is a blessing from God…No matter what he looks like he is human first. If there is a need for him to identify with his African culture then teach him. People are ignorant and evil so don’t fixate on foolishness. I am biracial as well and I love all of my heritage. Blessings & much love!!!

48. Common Sense

Wow! The baby is human! He’s alive! He’s alive!

On a serious note, yeah it’s a bit surprising to see that the baby has strong Caucasian features, given that she doesn’t look Caucasian, although she’s part White. In the end, it doesn’t matter. We should embrace our humanity and appreciate our diversity. How boring would life be if everybody were the same? Diversity peaks our curiosity and gives us an opportunity to know more about each other. That the baby is healthy and human should be the most important thing to know.

As the world globalizes and people intermix, occurrences like this should be more common and people will become more accustomed to seeing it.

Welcome to the world!

49. leda

The father’s genes are more dominant that’s why it looks so white. Yes black is more dominant gene But father gene is way stronger than mothers gene. That’s why when u see offspring of black men with white women the kid typically looks more “black” vs. When you see the offspring of a white man with a black woman. That’s just how the genes work I guess. ..