Harrison Ford: “I’ve Learned A Lot About Being An Appropriate Father Over The Years”

Harrison Ford: "I've Learned A Lot About Being An Appropriate Father Over The Years"

Film icon Harrison Ford is once again back in the spotlight as he stars in the upcoming film Cowboys and Indians with Olivia Wilde and Daniel Craig. The celebrated actor graces the July/August cover of AARP The Magazine and opens up about films, his new family with Calista Flockhart and how his parenting is getting better with age.

On how his parenting is getting better with age: “I had my first children when I was 24. Babies raising babies is maybe not the prettiest thing in the world to watch. I’ve learned a lot about being an appropriate father over the years.”

On his third marriage to actress Calista Flockhart: “We’d lived together for 10 years and it seemed like we were going to get along. And I love her and she wanted to get married, and I wanted to get married.”

On box office successes and failures: “I just want to make good movies that people want to go see. I hate making movies that people don’t go to.”

For more pictures and to read the full story, go to AARP The Magazine.

Filed under: Harrison Ford

Photo credit: AARP The Magazine

1. Solene

Maybe he felt like a baby indeed! I’m 24, and I’m too much of a child to even think about having kids before at least 10 years! I’m like a teen inside, and I still want people to take care of me! Being an au pair for 35 hours a week is hard enough for me, so being a mom full time? I understand what he means!

Agreed. 24 is far from a “baby.” You done goofed, Ford.

I dont particularly think having a baby at 24 constitutes a baby having a baby…what are women all supposed to wait until after menopause and pay a doctor to make her pregnant? I DO however think a man whose been married 3 times IS a baby….

4. Annie123

Lame excuse for being a bad father, at 24 you’re not a “kid”.

5. Anony...

See, that’s as close minded as he may sound. Being married 3 times is childish, or are your views on marriage and relationships different? Perhaps, traditional? I happen to agree with him, especially if he felt like HE was a baby at 24. Each person is different, and guys at 24 seems to be more childish then women. To each his own, and since he fathered his firstborn the best he could, let him use his freedom of speech without being judged! LOL

Love him and his dry, wisecracking sense of humor. Calista’s a lucky girl.

7. Angi

Men mature slower. That is just science. Harrison is being honest.I was 25 and my husband was 29 when we had our first child together. He was overwhelmed and it took him a long time to get completely comfortable in fatherhood.I prefer interviews like this instead of celebs who say it is all puppies and rainbows from the start.

8. Grandma of Four

Anonymous from above! I AGREE with you 100%! Plus, he is a brilliant actor who has played many memorable roles over the years! When he talks about his children, it is clear he is very proud of them! His honesty is surprising sometimes but I “get it”! Being from his same age group, I clearly understand his comment about 24 being young….in those days, it WAS young as we were not exposed to constant 24/7/365 BLITZ from every direction! We were still trying to figure out our place and move forward. VERY different times from today! :~ )

Love his truths that mean you learn and grow mature with time meaning more experience over the passage of years and living gives you wisdom you just don’t have when you are 24! People always get it twisted that once you have children you immediately devote your all just being a parent. That is not what happens for everyone. Most of us still want to have a good relationship, a career, and be the best parent we are capable of being and we just go about it differently! Sometimes being a good parent means getting out of the way and not being a feuding/hateful partner to the other parent. It also means not promising kids you will be around when your work
    and lifestyle dictates that you want.

and lifestyle dictates that you want.

11. Tara

I totally agree with Grandma of Four. My parents had me when they were 21! I cannot imagine the overwhelming feeling of WTF?;) I had my child in my early 30s and still feel clueless many times. Men of his generation were taught that fatherhood is not about emotional involvement nor nurturing. Being a “man” simply referred to providing for their child. Simple case of hunter gatherers. Thankfully today that incomplete description of a good dad has come full circle
    to include all aspects. Although I am not crazy about Harrison Ford personally I am cutting him some slack for his age appropriate statements. We should not so readily jump on anything we do not agree with.

I loved Harrison Ford and every movie he’d ever been in. Then he went on record as a staunch supporter of Roman Polanski and I lost all respect.

Everyone’s in different places at different age. For some, 24 is plenty old. For others, 28 isn’t old enough. It all depends on one’s lifestyle and state of mind. Stop bashing a person for being honest about learning on the job because regardless of whether all of you were perfect parents, you learn so much from that first one that prepares you for the next one.