First Lady Michelle Obama’s Advice For Her Daughters – And Yours!

First Lady Michelle Obama's Advice For Her Daughters - And Yours!

Although most of us grew up learning about the 3 R’s: Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic, and are still trying to make sense of it, in a recent trip to Britain’s elite Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School, First Lady Michelle Obama shared that for her daughters, Sasha, 9, and Malia, 12, she and President Obama have a different motto: “Read, Write, Read, Read.”

“If the president were here – one of his greatest strengths is reading. That’s one of the reasons why he’s a good communicator, why he’s such a good writer,” said Mrs. Obama. “He’s a voracious reader. So we’re trying to get our girls, no matter what, to just be – to love reading and to challenge themselves with what they read, and not just read the gossip books, but to push themselves beyond and do things that maybe they wouldn’t do.

So I would encourage you all to read, read, read,” the First Lady continued. “Just keep reading. And writing is another skill. It’s practice. It’s practice. The more you write, the better you get.

“Drafts — our kids are learning the first draft means nothing. You’re going to do seven, ten drafts,” Obama adds. “That’s writing, it’s not failure, it’s not the teacher not liking you because it’s all marked up in red. When you get to be a good writer, you mark your own stuff in red, and you rewrite, and you rewrite, and you rewrite. That’s what writing is.”

Sounds like Malia and Sasha are on track to follow in their dad’s best-selling footsteps!

Filed under: Barack Obama,Celebrity Dads,Celebrity Kids,Celebrity Moms,Malia Obama,Michelle Obama,Sasha Obama

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

As a teacher, I totally agree with this comment. Everything starts with reading!

2. Anonymous 347

Isn’t this what Barbara and Laura Bush said? Please stick with what you know Ms Obama, telling us what to eat. Don’t forget you famously said ” I am embarrassed to be an American” so why should you care about the welfare of American youth ( unless of course your concern is for ALL races).

It is nice to see a few token whites with you, but then again you cannot control it since it’s overseas.

• LaKesha

So it’s wrong for the First Lady to encourage healthy eating and reading? Seriously?

• Leahsmommy

As long as she includes all races! I am African American married to a white man and I feel that the OBAMA’S are hypocrites. They criticized the republican party ( btw I voted for him) for being too pandering too whites. All they do is entertain the afro/carribean communities. It’s unbalanced.

3. LaKesha

First Mom!

Instead of sending her to an elite, private school, it would have made more sense to send her somewhere else like an underperforming inner-city school for example. – The squeaky wheel gets the oil…

• Leahsmommy

Ugh enough with this inner city crap. Just because you may have certain advantages does not mean you aren’t entitled to the same opportunities. I am so sick of the whining of the poor and impoverished. I was born in public housing but never expected anyone to get me out of the situation. It was up to my mother and myself. Stop enabling laziness!

People who have read her college paper say she had many grammar mistakes, etc. She probably wants her daughters to do better than she did.

• LaKesha

Oh, so her college work had mistakes in it? I’m sure mine did as well–doesn’t take away from my accomplishments today, as I’m sure hers do not as well. You do realize that college is about learning…have you even seen her college work? You know she was a mentor to a future president at a very prestigious law firm–speaks for itself!

6. Nona30Stafford

Some people give the responsibility to professional resume writers because they don’t have the talent to compose a respectable resume so that the argument why you need to buy resume, but such customers like creator don’t do that. Thank you for the information. Very important information about this topic.