Jada Pinkett Smith: The Kids Are Alright

Jada Pinkett Smith: The Kids Are Alright

Jada Pinkett Smith wants the world to know that her kids are doing just fine, thanks. The movie star mom and her husband Will Smith have faced some criticism for helping their kids Jaden, 12, and Willow, 10, launch their own Hollywood careers, but in a new interview with Uptown magazine she insists that there’s no need to worry about the star-powered siblings.

“There are so many other kids you can worry about. My kids? They’re going to be alright,” Jada says. “I get why people would criticise. But people need to know that Will and I would never put our children in a situation that would bring them any detriment.”

While both kids seem to have inherited their parents’ love of entertaining – Jaden has been focusing on acting while his little sister released an album, touring with Justin Bieber – Jada says that the similarities don’t stop there.

“Believe it or not, they’re both like me and Will. … Willow’s a lot like me – just in the chances she’ll take. And then, Jaden has the drive of his father. Jaden and I are what I call introverted extroverts. Willow and Will are more pow! Jaden and I, well, we don’t give that to just anybody.”

The HawthoRNe star also talks about her happy 13-year-marriage to Will: “We create together, we love on each other, we raise our kids together.”

Jada adds that while “People think that Will and I don’t spend a lot of time together,” in fact the opposite is true! “Too much time actually, if you ask me, it’s always nice to have a little time apart,” she explains. “Sometimes you need that.”

Filed under: Jada Pinkett-Smith

Love her. I think The Smiths have shown time and time again that they are wonderful, loving parents.

2. Tazina

She’s right.

I can’t stand her she so full of herself; I’m glad that right now she not pimping out her daughter like she did when Jaden was promoting “Karate Kid”. I’m happy that her and Will are happy together good for them now that doesn’t mean she needs to start talking about her sex life again and writing books about it.

She always looks so unfriendly.

5. Anabel

Love the smith family. pls, jump into the lagoon if u dont like them. They re really worthy of emulation. Jada is forever my role model. Love the strength in her.

6. Sam

Anon @10:41, that is such an odd comment. Men are posed unsmiling on magazine covers all the time, and yet when a women isn’t smiling in the most open and non-threatening way possible she is deemed unfriendly.

In addition to the above she’s right. It’s certainly lovely that commenters care so much about the way these kids are dressed, cared for and how childcare is split between the parent and the nanny. We should all try though to have the perspective to understand that these are incredibly privileged children more so than any of us can imagine. Perhaps the children we should devote an ounce of the same focus on, are those who are actually in need of such attention for the basics. IMHO

• Janna

“Perhaps the children we should devote an ounce of the same focus on, are those who are actually in need of such attention for the basics. ”

Amen, Sam!!

7. Kaylee

Sam@ I don’t think ( Anon 10:41) was talking about her unsmiling on magazine cover but Jada in general looks unfriendly and I agree she always comes off as full of herself and I better then you attitude you will never mistake her for being down to earth.

8. Tara

I have no opinion on her as a mother, except she seems to dress willow a bit too old for her age. Otherwise have no idea of her parenting skills. However as a person I can attest to the fact that she is indeed a class A “b*tch”. I never describe women like that but in Ms Smiths case I have to. While I worked for a fashion house in London she would frequently stop in our showroom whenever she was abroad. She was the typical brash American whose demands were unreal. On two separate occasions she required my assistant to personally get her lunch BUT when my assistant would come back with what she ordered she refused to eat it and would demand something else. This poor intern had to make 5 different trips within a period of two hours to accommodate Ms. Smiths whims. Finally she decided she was not hungry after all. Then to top it off she told the designer ( McQueen), that he “needs to be careful about the incompetent fools” he hires. On another visit to the showroom she refused to sign autographs for the 7 year old son of an intern, stating she does not do it for “anyone” and cannot make exceptions. During a photoshoot I was setting up she also demanded that ALL the clothes be comped and sized specifically to her petite frame ( $35,000 worth) and NEVER even bothered to wear any of them in public which is the usual quid pro quo in this business. The smile issue is a permanent one- she never does. I have met numerous celebrities, A – Listers and dignitaries throughout my career and I have to say she takes the cake as the biggest princess with the least reason to be one.

That’s very interesting and NOT surprising at all. There are some high profile people that you can tell are not too nice from the lack of public interaction. Jada is one and so is her husband who used to be great, but in NY he has been a prima donna with his gigantic trailer to fit his ego.

• Anonymous 23

Such a coincidence you said this. My sister manages a high end boutique in NY. Just last month she told me of the diva attitude Jada gave the staff. She said she was rude, belligerent and acted entitled. Willow however was a sweet enough kid.