Natalie Portman Names Son Aleph

Natalie Portman Names Son Aleph

Academy Award-winning actress Natalie Portman and fiancé Benjamin Millepied have named their son Aleph, PEOPLE reports.

The Black Swan actress, who was born in Israel to the name Natalie Hershlag, chose a symbolic name for her firstborn child. Aleph is the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet, similar to alpha being the first letter of the Greek alphabet. Aleph is the number 1 in Hebrew and is also spelled “alef.”

In Judaic Kabbalah, its esoteric meaning in the theological treaty Sefer-ha-Bahir, relates to the origin of the universe, the “primordial one that contains all numbers.”

The 30-year-old actress met choreographer Millepied on the set of Black Swan.

Filed under: Natalie Portman

Photo credit: INFphoto.com

Never heard that name before, but many congrats to them adn health and happiness to them all Xx

2. skylar

I like the meaning behind the name Aleph.

3. Judge Judy

Oh, so that poster from the birth announcement was right!
    Interesting choice.

I think it’s great that Natalie has been evading intrusive photographers since she gave birth, but I have to admit I’m a bit curious as to how she pulled it off. The paps had no problem tracking her down and hounding her all throughout the pregnancy no matter what city she was in at the time. Are they honouring her wishes for privacy and being respectful for a change? I didn’t think things could be that civilized, but if that’s the case, why do they do this for some stars and not others?

• Annie123

Celebrities can by all means have some privacy if they choose so. Nicole Kidman lives in Nashville and the only pics of her and her family are taken at airports or in Australia. Jen Garner has her pic taken all the time because she lives in Beverly Hills, it’s a choice. Look at Johnny Depp’s family, we never see pics of his kids.
      In short, there probably isn’t a secret pact with the paparazzi, just careful parents.

Yeah but during her pregnancy, she was also chasing after a Best Actress Oscar..

All celebrities can evade the paps, just depends on how much they want to.

Cuz papa has a gun!

• scooter

Sadly, it has nothing to do with the paps showing respect for celebrities and their newborns. They’d salivate at any opportunity to cash in on photos. I think she’s hiding out, staying home and probably owns property that has privacy or security. I feel sorry for the celebs that live on busy public streets. They have zero privacy and are hounded daily. s

Thanks for an intelligent answer, Scooter. :)

• Tanya

Scooter, you’re sweet. But any celeb living on a busy street does so by choice. They have enough money to move somewhere else if they want to. Even in Los Angeles you can find privacy. Julia Roberts lives in Malibu… but do you EVER see pics of her kids? nope.

By the way, Aleph is a super pretentious thing to name your kid But it’s natalie Portman, so I guess it’s fitting.

• scooter

Julia Roberts was (at one time) the highest paid actress in Hollywood. She can afford to live anywhere, be choosy with how many years she takes off in between movies and how far she’s willing to commute for work. The MAJORITY of actors do not make that kind of money. I’m not trying to argue with you, Tanya, because I once believed like you do.. but please trust me.. it’s just not so. Even famous actors with a lot of decent IMDb credits under their belts are struggling these days. The economy effects Hollywood just like it does us. I don’t know where you live, but the houses in Los Angeles are expensive. Two million dollars for a regular size house parked on a busy street with no privacy. I don’t mean to get so off topic here, but I think fans should realize that the majority of actors are not earning millions unless they are A-List and doing a big budget film. OR, whoring themselves out in reality tv.. which to me — is the lowest form of acting.

• Shirilicious

I couldn’t agree more with everything you said. Especially the pretentious thing. LOL.

5. Annie123

Oh, and by the way, does anyone know how you pronounce it? Is it A-lef?

6. smiley

Tori Spelling tweets her every move! Hence, she is in this blog frequently, and benefits from those photos by affording her luxurious lifestyle……the complaints about the Paps running her off the road made me laugh.

• @smiley

I have zero sympathy for publicity whores like tori spelling. Seems like the lamest no – talent people love to document and sell themselves. I can’t believe she makes money from it either. Who the hell has enough time in their day to read her endless amount of tweets? Good grief.

Aleph Milliepied. Good grief.

errmm ok if she was so religious and stuck to her roots why have a baby out of wedlock??

She’s of the Jewish race but that doesn’t mean she practices the religion. Maybe it’s a family name? Maybe it’s a traditional name? None of my business why she named her son that. I wish her family happiness.

of the Jewish “race”? While some people who are not practicing Jews think being Jewish is a culture and not a religion, I think everyone agrees there’s no racial distinction.

They haven’t confirmed the name officially yet, have they? It’s quite possible that this is his Hebrew name, the one given at his bris, and not his legal first name. We also don’t know who she chose to honor in the naming of her son (ashkenazi Jews name to honor only someone who is deceased; sephardic jewish custom allows naming after someone who is still alive).

As for her disregarding religion for having a child prior to marriage; pre-marital sex and having a child out of wedlock isn’t quite the “you’re going to Hell you heathen slut” sin in Judaism that it seems to be in Christianity (unless, of course, the child is the product of adultery at which point it’s labeled as a “mamzer” – from a religious implication standpoint, it’s on the orthodox communities that marginalize the mamzer for the adultery). Portman has never, to my knowledge, disavowed her religion so she is probably the stereotypical “secular” Jew who may have some degree of Jewish religious observance or not.

there’s nothing religious about that “name”, it’s like calling your kid “A” (except no one actually uses initials as a name in Israel).

@ Anon 10:00 pm- What an ignorant comment, how does being born in Israel and giving her a child a name with Hebrew origins lead you infer Natalie disregarded her “religious roots”?

I wonder if his second name is “Beit” lol
    (that’s the second letter in hebrew alphabet and in english his name would be A.B ^^)

I think it’s great she’s honoring her origins, but she could have chosen an Israeli name instead of a Hebrew letter. (like how Jordan Bratman who is Jewish had Max second name “Liron” which is a unisex Israeli name with a great meaning)

all in all, nice intention but very weird for a name, good thing he won’t be living in Israel or he’d get teased by the other kids.

11. Courtney

please there’s always been strange names in hollywood Ms Portman honoring he roots isn’t uncommon that’s like the Rossellini twins have Elettra Fiorella Giovanna & Ingrid Frieda Giuliana as their middle names to honor their mother & Italian heritage from their father film director Roberto Rossellini. the kid can change his name when he turns 18 if he wants to.

12. Mitchell

Natalie Portman is an atheist. She stated several years ago that she did not believe in God (but that she “feels very Jewish in Israel.”). Hopefully she will not circumcise her son. I’d hate to see an intelligent woman like herself do such a horrible thing. I’m a long time fan but I wouldn’t be able to bring myself to support her if she circumcised her son. The same way I stopped supporting Sandra Bullock and Christina Aguilera for circumcising their sons.

13. Carlos

A is for Aleph in Hebrew, well B is for Bastard C is for Can’t be Benjamin mellipegay baby. D is for Dumb Hollywood prostitute, E is for Everybody try and guess baby bastard daddy.