It’s A Girl For Ryan Phillippe’s Ex Alexis Knapp

It's A Girl For Ryan Phillippe's Ex Alexis Knapp

Congratulations are in order for Ryan Phillippe‘s ex-girlfriend, Alexis Knapp!

The model-actress gave birth to a nearly 8-pound baby girl that she named Kai on Friday (July 1), In Touch reports. Ryan was in the delivery room at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center at the time of the birth. “It was a smooth delivery,” a friend says.

Although the Cruel Intentions star has yet to confirm if he is the baby’s biological father, he supported his ex-girlfriend in her last few weeks of pregnancy. “Ryan took Alexis to her last doctor’s appointments and was there in the hospital when she gave birth,” a friend says. “He’s waiting for the DNA test to see of he’s the father, but he’s acting like he is.”

Ryan and his ex-wife Reese Witherspoon are parents to daughter Ava, 11, and son Deacon, 7.

Filed under: Alexis Knapp,Ryan Phillippe

Photo credit: Pacific Coast News / Bauer Griffin

1. Courtney

@Klutzy Girl who cares weather they fit together perfectly neither do Vanessa Corin & Lynn but nobody makes a fuss because all three of them are/were great film stars. all that matters is everyoe involved is healthy

2. klutzy_girl

Yeah, he is so the father! Congratulations to Ryan and Alexis!

Kai is an interesting name. So Ryan now has Ava, Deacon, and Kai. Those names don’t exactly fit.

I wonder when the DNA results will come in.

3. Austin

How do you pronounce Kai? Kay or Kye or ???

4. Amber

the picture of her on yahoo and here do not look the same at all…

5. All a Game

Good for him either way that he is stepping up to the plate!

6. skylar

congrats to Alexis. Don’t like the name Kai for a girl or a boy.

Kai is a German boys’ name – pronounced kh-eye (but as one syllable). Also used by English footballer Wayne Rooney & his wife for their little boy.

AND the Son of jennifer Connelly, Kai aged-13. Donald Trump Jr named his daughter Kai Madison, nearly 4.. and Naomi Watts youngest son aged 2, goes by Kai. His name is Samuel Kai..ETC

It’s actually derived from Welsh and Scandinavian backgrounds and means “keeper of the keys”

• Kailani

To all you people trying to figure out the origin of the baby’s name, her whole first name is Kailani, which in Hawaiian means ‘heavenly ocean.’ Although, for the life of me, I can’t understand why random mainland haole people are giving their kids Hawaiian names that have absolutely no Hawaiian blood!!

8. Annefan

who cares if the names fit… we don’t even know if Ryan is the baby’s father

Courtney – why don’t you learn how to spell – it’s WHETHER not WEATHER.

10. Courtney

@Anonymous so what I made a simple spelling error don’t crucify me and there are plenty of names that are used for both boys and girls Ashley Carole Courtney Joey Kelly & Kim come to mind. one of Scarlett’s suitors in Gone With The Wind is named Ashley Wilkes

I just kind of hope the baby doesn’t have mom’s last name. Kai Knapp sounds odd.

what the heck is going on in hollywood…all of these people having children with people that they are casually sleeping with (kim stewart, melanie brown, ryan, jude law, etc). i know that accidents happen but jeez …

• Kat

These two dated last year. They weren’t “casually sleeping together.” They were in a relationship.

Thanks for responding. I was under the impression that they weren’t in a serious relationship given the fact that he wanted a dna test and statements such as these “he supported his ex-girlfriend in her last few weeks of pregnancy.” I will admit that I don’t know much about these two beyond what I read on CBS.

• UPC87

The DNA test is to embarrass her. My friend was married for 9 years. She got pregnant after eights years of marriage and the husband left her and still demanded a DNA test. He was the one cheating. Obviously the child was his- he was just trying to avoid child support. In most states if the couple is married a DNA test is not allowed, since the child is presumed of the marriage, and they are starting to use this law in long term relationships.

• Lisa

“In most states if the couple is married a DNA test is not allowed, since the child is presumed of the marriage, and they are starting to use this law in long term relationships.”

Can you cite a source for this law? I have never heard of any such law. A man can legally request a DNA test even if he’s married to the mother of the child. In fact, a court can order such a test especially to prevent a man from needlessly paying child support for a child that isn’t his.

• Tara

She is 100% correct. It is referred to as presumed father or putative father. If the child is the product of a marriage the law recognizes that the husband is the father of the child and therefore responsible. There are even cases whereupon later on if the man who thought he was his Childs father found out he wasn’t- was still legally obligated to pay support. In the states of PA, KS, NJ, CT, MA, NY, CA, AK, NC, SC, TX, FL, DC, NH, VT, OH, VA,WV,ND,SD – courts CANNOT require a DNA test to be administered if the parents were married at the time of the birth. It may not seem fair but it’s to protect the child.

For further case siting go to PUTATIVE father on the web.

• Anon

You are right, it’s called putative. It’s also binding in Alabama and Georgia.

• Anon2

As well as Hawaii, Maine and Washington. Each state has their own sovereign law, however the rule for DNA test and a married couple is pretty much the same. It can be requested but can’t be mandatory in the consideration of child support. You can check the laws out Lisa if you go to the Child support Act of 1971. It goes into great detail of what each state does and does not allow.

• Anonymous in Chicago

@tara , you are right. I went through this with my ex husband two years ago here in Chicago. He did not want to pay child support since I had inherited wealth and felt he had no responsibility. I took him to court and was ready to voluntarily take a DNA test to prove him to be the a** he is. I was actually instructed not to by the state as it was not admissible and he was the “father” in the eyes of the law. I took it anyway just for the hell of it. But no one who is married has to prove their husband is the father of the child, the husband has to prove just cause for doubting it. It’s a good law that prevents unnecessary DNA costs. So glad to see so many replies to this. Women need to know their rights.

Any child born out of a legal marriage is considered the man’s legal child. He would have put his name on the birth certificate logically if they are married. The majority of state courts cannot order a dna test and it is very difficult to remove your name off the birth certificate if the mother refuses. It’s all part of the ACT 174 in 1971 child support laws. About 75% of the US states comply with this law.

What state do you live in? May be why you are unaware of it. But pretty much across the board its the normal mandate.

• UBC87

For some reason I cannot enter the link, but Tara is right. It’s what is known as putative father. They are legally bound because the law assumes the husband is the dad. I think it’s part of the 1971 child advocacy law regarding securing the best interest of the child.

• UBC87

@Lisa- you are confusing legal and biological. They are not one in the same in the eyes of law. Because marriage is legally binding anything resulting from that union is dealt with through the court system. Once a person enters into a marriage – all offspring directly resulting from it become the legal obligation of both parties. It’s been referenced correctly as Putative. Biological only comes into play when the parties are not recognized as legally wed. Most circuit, county and district courts refrain from issuing an order for a DNA test in these instances. In fact unless the husband can give tangible evidence proving he IS NOT the father, he will be held accountable. The burden is on him to prove her infidelity. Yet once his name is on the birth certificate he will be hard pressed to change it.

I am a legal secretary not a lawyer but have typed enough of these dockets to have learned something;)

• Lisa

There’s the confusion. You were talking about a man not being able to seek a DNA test to get out of legal responsibility and I thought you meant that he couldn’t have one at all. That it was entirely illegal for a man to find out if a child is his or not if the child was born during a marriage. So, an example being a raped woman gets pregnant, she’s married, and her husband wants to know if the child is his. I took what you said to mean that it would be illegal for him to find out if the child was his even if his wife consented to the DNA test. All of this being completely separate from the legal system. Now if this man wanted to get out of paying child support if the child wasn’t his, the DNA test would be inadmissable and he would be legally responsible. Correct?

• Anon

I live in PA- my ex husband demanded a DNA test for release of having to pay child support. The courts said it is “inadmissible” since we were married when the kid was was born. I had no problem taking one, but they said it would be a moot point because he was legally obligated as he was considered the legal father. He appealed and lost. This was seven years ago. UBC87 was correct the DNA cannot be demanded it can be requested but the court cannot make a person do it in cases of marriage. At least here in my state. My husband was ordered to pay me $2200 a month for our daughter. It’s based on his earnings. he did not want to as he wanted to start a new family. The judge acts on what is best for the kid. My daughter recognized my ex as her father, which he IS. I think it’s fair. A woman should not be subjected to the test if you have been married. Most of us have no problem taking one especially if we did nothing wrong and thankfully the law is on our side with this one. Surprised this is not a well known fact re: dna testing.

I think Kai’s a lovely name. Kai Knapp sounds a bit odd. If it is Ryan Phillippe’s child, though, maybe Alexis will consider hyphenating it. Kai Knapp-Phillippe sounds a bit better imo.

14. anon

kai is hawaiian for ocean

15. anon

kai is hawaiian for ocean

16. SMH

I like Kai. It’s def better then Bear Blue, Pilot Inspecktor, Molly Crimefighter, Apple Blythe, Peanut Kai, Aleph, Zuma, Petal, Moroccon…..should I go on or just stop?! :)

17. skylar

Just to let you know smh its Moxie not Molly.Have you heard of John M kids names Teddy Jo Justic Speck Wildhorse Hud.

18. SMH

ooops yes I met Moxie. and I have no idea who that is but yikes!!!

19. SarahC

Well congratulations to Alexis and Ryan, if Ryan is indeed the father. I’m happy to see that he is stepping up just in case that little girl is his. Hopefully everyone is getting along and enjoying this new blessing in their lives. :)