David Beckham On Daughter & Origin Of Her Name

David Beckham On Daughter & Origin Of Her Name

David Beckham and wife Victoria – parents to sons Brooklyn, 12, Romeo, eight and six-year-old Cruz – welcomed daughter Harper Seven last week. In a video on his Facebook page the soccer star talks about his joy at having a baby girl, and how he and Victoria came up with her name.

“To have another girl in the family is really incredible,” he says. “We’ve got three beautiful, healthy boys already and we’re so lucky to have that and now to have a beautiful little girl, it’s amazing.”

“Having a daughter is a whole new thing. Having pink in the house and lilac in the house. And you have to be a lot more delicate with girls than with boys and I’m not used to that so it’s a whole new experience but it’s an amazing experience,” he continued. “To have that little bundle of joy and your hands and her making her little noises and opening her eyes – it really is an incredible moment for us.”

And how did the couple decide on the name Harper Seven? Turns out one of Victoria’s favorite reads provided part of the inspiration. “A lot of thought goes into our children’s names and Harper was a name we’ve loved for a long time for a couple of reasons,” David says.

“One is them was because Harper is an old English name which we loved and one of the other reasons is because Victoria’s favorite book is ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ and the author was Harper Lee. And it’s a very strong passionate book so that’s where Harper came from.”

“And Seven is partly because of the shirt number I wore for many year,” David went on to explain. “Because I had so much luck around wearing that number and it was such an influential number throughout my career and a lucky number but that wasn’t the main reason. The reason behind Seven is that it symbolizes spiritual perfection and is a lucky number around the world. We love the name. We love Harper Seven and we’re very proud of having her in our family.”

Filed under: David Beckham

Photo credit: Fame

1. Annie123

I’m kind of disappointed that he said he needs to be more delicate with a baby girl. Babies are babies and this type of attitude just reinforces gender stereotypes, ie. boys are tough and girls are fragile little things.

2. skylar

Nice meaning behind her name.I still don’t like the name Harper.

3. Rachael

melt :)

4. Mia

LOL
    I read a book called “My One and Only” by Kristan Higgins, and the lead character is a woman who was abandoned by her mother when she was a teenager and her name is Harper. In the book, all her life she thought her name was because of Harper Lee and she loved the book “To Kill A Mockingbird”, and then, when she finally talks to her dad about her name, he says her mother chose that because of “some fashion magazine”. It’s so funny she was named after Harper’s Bazaar and now it’s basicaly the same here with the Beckhams, I saw people commenting about it sounding like a magazine.

That’s a great book by the one, for those who loves a good chick-lit, lots of fluff and a bit of drama.

I like the name Harper, by the way. And comparing with other celebrity kids names, it’s gorgeous! LOL

5. Mia

LOL

Never considered ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’, one of my favourite books also :)