Jennifer Lopez & Marc Anthony Split

Jennifer Lopez & Marc Anthony Split

In some surprising and sad news, Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony have separated after seven years of their marriage, their rep tells Us Weekly.

“We have decided to end our marriage,” the high-profile couple said in a joint statement. “This was a very difficult decision. We have come to an amicable conclusion on all matters. It is a painful time for all involved, and we appreciate the respect of our privacy at this time.” Lopez and Anthony are parents to three-year-old twins Max and Emme.

The split comes as a shock to many – just last month the couple renewed their wedding vows for their sixth anniversary. “We realized the bets in Vegas [on whether we'd make it] stopped at five years,” Anthony joked at the time. (The couple also renewed their vows in 2008.)

But singer Anthony was conspicuously absent from his wife’s side at Saturday’s star-packed BAFTA Brits to Watch bash in L.A., where Lopez brought mom Guadalupe as her date to meet Prince William and Duchess Kate.

As recently as January, American Idol judge Lopez gushed on the Ellen DeGeneres Show about how happy her life was with Anthony. “As soon as I had the babies, I thought to myself, ‘I want to do this a thousand more times…I love this. This is life.”

Filed under: Jennifer Lopez,Marc Anthony

Photo credit: Pacific Coast News

1. Julianne

Shocked !

I don’t care what her past is, this one HONESTLY took by a HUGE surprise.

3. Sarah34

I’m not a fan of ether of them but it’s still sad, I thought he was the one for her.

Anonymous 7:42pm@ I can’t believe I’m about to defend JOL but for her marriage to the dancer he used her for fame and money, P diddy cheated and Ben cheated on her with prostitute after he ask her to marry him because he wasn’t man enough to tell her he wanted out. She may be “self-absorbed” and BELIEVE me I think she is but Cris Judd. P diddy and Ben were A holes; as for Jen she needs to take time and be by herself work on her/ her issues and not jump into relationships so fast.

Jennifer Lopez cheated on her first husband with P Diddy. She cheated on her second husband with Ben. Then she cheated with Marc when he was still married to his wife. Jennifer Lopez is just as much of A Hole as you are calling P Diddy and Ben Affleck.
      I only have sympathy for their kids.
      I’m surprised this marriage lasted this long. I always thought Jennifer used Marc as a rebound to save face for Ben dumping her. Who marries another person only 3 months after a major break-up?
      Who? Jennifer “self-absorbed” Lopez…. that’s who. People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

4. skylar

Sad another celebrity divorce.

5. ryann

i’m surprised……they lasted this long.

Why is it surprising? She’s one of the most self-absorbed people on the planet, which is not a good quality to have if you want a successful marriage. She’s been married and divorced twice before and had another high-profile relationship break up just short of getting married. She’s not exactly someone who appears to put much value on her commitments. (Nor is he – didn’t he dump his first wife for JLo?)

• LaKesha

And…you’ve personall met the two?

Your reading comprehension isn’t very good, is it? See the part where it says “she’s not exactly someone who appears to put much value on her commitments”? When someone uses the word “appears,” it means they’re basing their judgments only on what they can see, i.e., her public persona and public facts. Not on any personal knowledge of the person or the situation.

• LaKesha

Exactly…so you’re basically talking off the top of your head about something you know nothing about. Also, re-read your comment, particularly the first part, to see where I was coming from, i.e. Jennifer being “the most self-absorbed”…as if you have personally met her and know this.

Not surprised at all.

8. anonymous

While it is sad, I’m quite surprised they lasted this long.

Perhaps he can come safely out of the closet now?

10. Tazina

That was a shocker! Not really a failed marriage. 7 years in Hollywood is like 30 years in real life.

11. Shannon

Whoa! Did not see that one coming!

12. Ondine

I’ve never been a fan of his but I remember reading the Celia Cruz autobiography and her mentioning him and his profound unrequitted love for Jennifer Lopez and how he was willing to move heaven and earth to be worthy and loved by her and he had loved her afar for years. And the book was written well before their eventual marriage. It must be nice to have a man worship and adore you. But I’m guessing she requires that from every man, woman and child she meets.

13. Julita

if they just renewed their vows last month then im sure there must have been cheating involved

Definitely wasn’t expecting that

Not surprised at all. With the angry look in her eye in every photo for the last five or more years it was obvious she wasn’t happy. I believe her man is abusive. Everywhere she goes, there he is with her hanging around. I’m sure it was his idea for him to sing on Americian Idol, not hers, he’s always hanging around trying to get on tv wherever she is like on New Years eve in New York when she sang there.

16. SMH

and another one bites the dust!!

Wonder what Marc is going to do with his Jennifer tattoo now!?

17. Anon569

Well seeing how the divorce rate is around 50% in the US, I don’t think celeb marriages are any more throw away or any more of a failure than any non famous person’s wedding. People have higher expectations of marriage than they did in the past. They expect to feel a certain way during the entire course of it and the reality of marriage is far from that.

Mark is controlling he was controlling with his first wife he wanted her to stay home with the kids while he spent his time traveling and doing his thing, and rumor is he was the same way with JOL he wanted to be a part of everything she did her music, American Idol, movies, concert and so on. My guess is that she brought so issues to the table as well that they could not overcome the problem with led to this split.

18. One

She is a homewrecker she broke up Marc’s marriage so…

19. Trina

Not surprised at all..NEXT! She’s a serial dater lol i would say she will have a new man in a couple weeks but she has kids now so maybe she’ll use any free time to be a good mother, not assuming that she isn’t already a good mother.

Wow, I’m totally shocked! Oh, wait, it was just static electricity. Nevermind, not shocked about this breakup!

So sad. I’m a fan of both and I loved to see them as a pair. I just can hope, especially for the children, that they find back together..

22. Anonymous 2

This may sound odd, bu i felt something was off with him when I saw his response about the poop in the pool. The whole detached father thing when he said “if they are pooping that much YOU should get them checked out.” It made it clear he felt caring for the kids in a hands-on way was her duty. I just figured that she was fine with this. And maybe she was, but it seems his controlling ways may have been a factor in their divorce. In any case, I’m sorry for the difficulty that brings them and hope they find peace.

23. Tahreem

I am surprised why she wasted seven precious years of her life with him , he is absolutely no match to her , she deserve a man who can match her immense charm and attraction , hardly name anybody other than those classics like Charlton Huston or Gregory Peck . Any how I wish her all the best for her future . Hope she will not repeat the blunder again [ choosing a wrong life partner].

24. SANGEETH