Julie Bowen On Loving (& Hating) Her Kids

Julie Bowen On Loving (& Hating) Her Kids

Modern Family‘s Julie Bowen won the Emmy for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy last night (September 18) for her portrayal of Claire Dunphy, the neurotic mother-of-three. In real life, Julie is also a mom-of-three (she and husband Scott Phillips have a 4-year-old son, Oliver, and 2-year-old twin boys, John and Gus) and she says her experiences as a parent help her with her role.

“If I wasn’t a mom, I think it’d be harder to understand what it is to live with a child and hate and love them all at once,” the 41-year-old actress told Us Weekly. “Claire does that with her kids, and I do that with mine.”

“I love them so much,” she added. “There’s always this undercurrent of love, but there are moments when I really wouldn’t mind if a giant hook just pulled them off the stage of my life!” she laughed.

“I think that’s how Claire feels. But if I wasn’t a parent, I think that dichotomy would confuse me.”

Filed under: Julie Bowen

Photo credit: Flynet

I totally feel her on this.

2. Sophia

I’m not having a go, and I’m sure Julie is a great mum, but I feel like every time she talks about her kids she’s talking about something negative. I know she also said how much she loves them too, but.. I dunno. It just irks me.

• Ali

I know, I feel the same way. Of course she loves her kids, and she says all those negative things in the name of humor and she’s not actually serious when she says she wants to take them away with a giant hook! But still, when her kids are old enough to look up their mom on the internet, they’ll see all these things that she has said. That’s sad.

I find it incredibly refreshing. I get soooo bored of the Katie Holmes/Victoria Beckham/Ali Landry types who just gush. Everyone who has kids knows no matter how smitten you are or how much you ADORE them, there are moments when you wish they would just STOP talking/fighting/pooing/moaning…whatever. Because they are real people, not dolls or hallmark cards, and real people, even those you LOVE, can get on your nerves.

• musiclover

I agree…I love her honesty. Any parent that says that there are moments where they can’t stand their kids or wish they would just go away for a little while…is lying. I love my son more than anything and cannot begin to describe the joy he has brought me, but there are times every now and then, when I wish that I could just put him on a shelf and deal with him when I am ready, lol.

4. SMH

I like her honesty too because she’s real and tells it like it is. Of course every parent loves their kids. But sometimes your kids can really get on your nerves and there are days where you wish they could just disappear for a bit so you can compose yourself again. No perfect mothers and certainly no perfect child.

5. gini

I find her comments disgusting. What an awful thing to say. Of course we all have our moments where our kids are driving us crazy and we need a moment but to say she wishes her kids would disappear is very distasteful to me. And to say she hates them sometimes is crazy. Of course I don’t always like how my children are behaving or acting but I would NEVER say I hated them, even joking. I’m to anyone who has ever actually lost a child and realize how precious life is wouldn’t joke about hating their kids or wanting them to disappear either. SMH!

6. Melissee

Okay. Look, I’m 9 weeks pregnant and it has been fairly miserable for the last 4 weeks. I used to obsess about food. “Hmm, what do I want for breakfast? Hmm, what’s for lunch? Ohh, sushi for dinner!” And now I can’t stand the thought of eating. I wish more women had the stones to be honest about pregnancy and parenting so the rest of us don’t feel like such jerks when we bemoan some of the troubles we face as women and mothers. I wish I’d known that pregnancy could give you gas pains so bad you wanted to vomit. But no. Women are made to feel like horrible people if we say anything negative about any of it. Let’s support each other by letting one another be honest about the hard stuff. Then we’ll know we’re not alone. All the folks with perfect pregnancies and children can chose to bow out.

And to the gal who thinks her children will be traumatized when they find out what’s she’s said…It’s good that they have a mother who’s honest so they don’t say, “Mom, why didn’t you tell me???” when they have kids of their own. Besides, I’m sure they’ll remember what little monsters they could be sometimes. I know I do and I’m really in for it!

7. jacquie109

I love it when people are honest. I would never say that I am happy as a mother 100% of the time. I love my daughter 100% of the time that doesn’t mean I like her 100% of the time. Sometimes things suck, but there is a great saying
    Life isn’t about the breathes you take, it about the MOMENTS that take your breath away.
    This is true with everything even parenting!