Carla Bruni: “I Can’t Stand It Anymore”

Carla Bruni: "I Can't Stand It Anymore"

Like millions of other expectant mothers in the last exhausting stages of pregnancy, French First Lady Carla Bruni-Sarkozy is looking forward to giving birth – but not for the reasons one would expect.

Apparently, this sense of urgency is coming from her desire to start drinking and smoking again rather than from the excitement to meet her new little one and this French mama is “totally fed up.”

“Quite frankly, I can’t stand it any more,” she admits to the French magazine Le Parisien. “I spend most of my time either sitting down or lying down. I can’t drink or smoke any more. I’m in a hurry to get it over with.”

The former model – who married the President of the French Republic Nicolas Sarkozy in 2008 – is mom to son Aurélien, 10, with ex-boyfriend Raphael Enthoven. President Sarkozy has three children – Pierre, 26, Jean, 25, and Louis, 14 – from previous marriages.

This is the couple’s first child together.

Filed under: Carla Bruni,Nicolas Sarkozy

Photo credit: Fame

Come on!!! She’s pregnant she’s tired it’s normal, nothing about drinking or smoking…

2. Lioness

Oh, c’mon people, lighten up. I gave birth two months ago and I TOTALLY get how Carla feels; by the end of my pregnancy, I wanted my son OUT- because I missed my old size, when things weren’t swelling all over the place… not to mention missing my occasional beers or glasses of wine, and SUSHI!!! I just missed being my old self. It doesn’t mean she is or I am a bad mother- I love my son very much, and I was glad to sacrifice my body for a while for him. But I AM happy to be able to drink, eat sushi, and fit into my clothes again :-).

3. Kathy

Please tell me this got lost in translation. What a horribly self-indulgent, narcissistic thing to say. She really comes across as a spoiled little princess here and I really hope it’s just a translation issue, or the magazine misinterpreting what she said. Otherwise I feel sorry for her child-to-be.

I hope for the baby’s sake that she is not one of those mothers who smokes around her child. I see parents smoking around their children and it makes me absolutely sick.

5. Europa

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Doesn’t she want to be around to see her child grow up and be around for all her children? My mother would talk to her but she quit too late and died from a smoking related illness at 54.

She’s supposedly due anytime after Oct. 1, but she recently said she would have the baby next week and she said her other child came early according to !Hola! magazine’s website and Hello! magazine’s website.

I really hope the translation is wrong. What a stupid thing to say.

8. BeatrixDarl

Oh Christ, what a tightly wound bunch you are. Do you really care? Of course you don’t. It’s just yet another opportunity for you to feel smug, superior and self-righteous.

• Sharon

Touche. Well said. What a bunch of prats. I think it’s hilarious, it’s honest and it’s what we all feel like at the end. OMG, maybe she’s a human being. Is it possible?

9. Min

Has anybody who’s commenting ever been a smoker *for real*? What a stupid thing is to blame a smoker for complaining about NOT smoking for 9 months and looking forward to start again.
    She is a free human being, and we are lucky enough she doesn’t smoke while pregnant which is a thing many many women do.

And BTW, I guess nothing got lost in the translation, it’s just that Europeans aren’t so judgemental on every damn thing other people do, and they are not treating smokers like idiots or babykillers.

Are people seriously getting the vapors because she says she doesn’t want to be pregnant any more? Is this a joke? Most people I know were miserable and uncomfortable by the end of their pregnancies and just wanted the baby out. They missed all the things they couldn’t have while pregnant. These are totally normal sentiments and don’t mean she won’t love her baby. I can’t even believe people are upset about this.

11. nicoleC

i dont understand why she wont let her baby’s image to public

12. Devyn

She has always been annoying and I can’t stand her. However, I have to say I respect her for her honesty about the pregnancy. People are always afraid to talk honestly about pregnancy. They don’t want to be trashed for saying what’s on their mind.

I am pregnant too and due soon, and I can say that I am also tired of it, like many women. Its just many women are too scary to say that frankly so that other people can blaim them on being a “bad mum”. But the truth is, you want your size back, you want to drink wine again from time to time and to be able to move freely. That has nothing to do with the love and responsibility for a child, in my opinion.

Nothing was lost in translation. She is what she sounds. And please, even if she married the French president, she is not French but Italian

I should start by saying that I am far from being a huge fan of Carla Bruni and that I have never smoked a signle cigarette in my entire life.

I loved being pregnant with my daughter and enjoyed every minute of it. But still, I am honest enough to say that I also missed being able to drink a glass of wine or cocktail every once in a while during that time (and then after during brestfeeding). I don’t think saying that makes me a self-centered, stupid or irresponsable mother.

But then again I am French so maybe it’s just that we are a bunch of narcissitic alcoholics !

16. Anna

I’m European and yes I’m “judgemental” about people smoking near their children. It’s ridiculous to smoke around them, if you love your child you wouldn’t.
    She already quit for 9 months why not just keep going?

i hate judgemental people who do nasty things behind closed doors where no one can see them but have the nerve to judge every little things people say i had a craving for beer and wine turns out i was anaemic but after giving birth the craving stopped

I’m French, and I’ve read the article. There is error in the translation, she said that she can’t wait to be able to have a “normal life”, meaning moving, smocking and drinking.

19. Anonymous123

God forbid any woman doesn’t think that being pregnant is all unicorns and rainbows; the mommy police will be all over you.

She’s an adult woman who’s looking forward to having a glass of wine and a cigarette. She isn’t planning on devouring her young.

Lighten up, hens.

No no, nothing was lost in translation, that’s the kind of person she is. I am French and there is a reason most of the people there can’t stand her…