Angelina Jolie: Refugees Have Made Me A “Better Mother”

Angelina Jolie: Refugees Have Made Me A "Better Mother"

Angelina Jolie credits her work with Somali refugees and the United Nations with helping her to be “a better person, a better mother”.

The 36-year-old actress recently expressed her gratitude to the Yemen Society for Humanitarian Solidarity in Switzerland, for her time spent with them. She spoke at the UN Refugee Agency Awards, where the Society was recognized for their work: “I’m so grateful – I don’t want to cry – to the refugee families that I have the honour and privilege to spend the last years with,” she gushed.

From them I’ve learned so much. I’ve learned to be a better person, a better mother. They’ve inspired me by showing me the unbreakable strength of the human spirit.

The generous mom-of-six – who is raising Maddox, 10, Pax, 7, Zahara, 6, Shiloh, 5, and 3-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne with her longtime partner Brad Pitt – is also a Goodwill Ambassador for the UN, and a highly appreciated one at that.

“She is the very best of the goodwill ambassadors that exist in the humanitarian world,” says the organizations High Commissioner.

Filed under: Angelina Jolie

Photo credit: Fame

1. hopeso

A classy lady through & through, there is non other like her GOD BLESS HER and her family….LOVE THE JOLIE-PITT……

amazing woman,she makes me proud

gorgeous inside out love her

I LOVE HER. Truly. She is amazing. Not many like her in Hollywood. She is so generous with her time and money. I love when celebrities do good with their power.

I feel she should correct the untold damage she caused countless young girls right here at home before she goes out to save other peoples of the world. There is no counting just how many girls started cutting themselves after she went on national TV telling stories of her cutting and engaging in sex, saying how deep an emotional experience it was etc etc. My daughter thought she was such a cool actress at the time and wanted to be just like her in any way she could……. you can guess the rest. As far as I’m concerned her refusal to take responsibility or to make any effort to undo the damage she did makes her a despicable human being unfit to lead anyone anywhere.

• abby

the ignorance of this post astounds me. as someone who cut herself as a teenager and still struggles with it, i believe the more celebrities to come out and talk about their experiences with self-injury the better. to know that we are not alone in our experiences is invaluable. if your daughter started cutting herself to be like a movie star, then perhaps you should look at your daughter’s life a little more closely and not blame some movie star for her problems. people do not cut themselves because of celebrities. perhaps you should look a little deeper into the things angelina has said about cutting herself, you would see that she’s opened up about what she was going through emotionally and she has never once condoned it or encourage young girls to do the same. maybe she was trying to send a message to young people who do cut themselves: that they are not alone. i think it’s admirable that she came forth and opened up about such a taboo topic that carries with it such shame.

I just have to admire this woman. She is a real humanitarian and has been giving her time and energy for a very good cause already for a decade. There aren´t many celebs in HW who are like her. She is endangering her life every time she goes to those places where she visits the refugee camps. Brad must be very proud of all the good and valuable work his lady is doing but also worried. God bless Angelina and her whole family!

ITA with the other posters acknowledging Angelina’s amazing humanitarian work. A lot of her good deeds and philanthropic work is done under the radar. She is head and shoulders above other celebs who only seem to care about themselves, their physical appearance and how their kids are dressed (!!!)

8. margaretha

One of the things that distinguishes Angie from certain other celebs who just cut a cheque (for Japan, etc.) and issue a press release about it is that she actually gets in and rolls her sleeves up — a hallmark of a true, genuine humanitarian

She is the most fascinating celebrity in Hollywood.

10. Sondi

Very true! Makes a change to see soemnoe spell it out like that. :)