Tilda Swinton: It’s Every Expectant Woman’s Nightmare To “Give Birth To The Devil”

Tilda Swinton: It's Every Expectant Woman's Nightmare To "Give Birth To The Devil"

Tilda Swinton talks seriously about her role in the film We Need To Talk About Kevin and being a mom to 13-year-old twins Honor and Xavier. The actress tells Vogue UK that she’s had to make sacrifices for her children, but they are worth it.

She shares, “It’s part of the deal of motherhood. I think everyone must suffer, I think that’s the whole point. That’s what life is. I don’t think that’s a secret or anything to get het up about. I think that’s how life is. It’s about growth and change, and it’s the bargain. Something goes, something comes. You always get something back.”

The 50-year-old actress, who plays a long-suffering mother of a teenager who commits mass murder, says it’s every expectant woman’s nightmare to fear what her child will be like.

She said, “It’s everybody’s nightmare that, when they’re pregnant, they’re going to give birth to the devil. That when they bring up children, especially a boy, they’re going to give birth to this violence.

“What I find most intriguing about (the role) of Eva is not that she gives birth to and raises this misanthropic and alienated, sociopathic child and that its really foreign and outside of herself. The thing that’s really the nightmare is that she recognizes it only too well, because its hers, The misanthropy is hers. That violence is hers.”

We Need To Talk About Kevin premieres in the UK on October 21.

Filed under: Tilda Swinton

Photo credit: Pacific Coast News

right…….that’s what i was thinking about when i was pregnant…

2. NYC Mommy

This is a strange interview. I have three kids and while I was pregnant I was worrying about having a healthy baby with ten fingers and toes. I definitely was not worrying about whether or not my child would grow up to be violent and/or evil. Anyway to each his own I guess….

3. Europa

But it can happen. You could have a child with autism, ADD, and occasionally yes, an evil child is born. Thankfully the odds of the latter are very slim and some of that could be caused by horrible parenting too. There is the odd one that have killed their parents who apparently were wonderful people.

4. Sophia

Um I would never think that? I’ve never been pregnant but I have a feeling my thoughts would be more along the lines of how much I love my baby more than is it going to be “the devil”. Weird.

I suppose as an intellectual thinker then this isn’t that unusual of a thought but as well she is British and they also have a broader mindset about such things. It may also be because there is a realistic approach to possibility and seeing that not all people are good yet all people one way or another had/have a mother then it’s just a thought and yes some mothers may consider it. She is just touching on the subject because of a movie role and I think she has a point in saying it would be a every mother’s nightmare since who would want that for their baby? I have a boy and I get the worry about violence because boys are prone to it by nature so it’s all about how you raise your child.

6. Daniella

She’s discussing a question that was asked about her movie role, so it’s not that surprising of a topic. Honestly, I think most mothers wonder if their child will grow up to be a good person, that’s a very normal thing. However, I do agree with her, there are some cases where a child IS born evil. A lot of it has to do with upbringing, of course, but there are humans out there who were born with the inability to feel empathy or compassion for others, and all of them have mothers. It’s an unpleasant and downright scary subject for most mothers to think about, but I can see where Tilda’s coming from on this topic.