Evangeline Lilly: I Pushed For 8 Hours!

Evangeline Lilly: I Pushed For 8 Hours!

After revealing that her baby boy was born “outside in a thunderstorm,” new mom Evangeline Lilly is now sharing a few more details of her new son’s birth.

During an appearance on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, the Lost star says that she opted for a home birth, saying, “I actually skipped the hospital … We decided to have the baby at home because we wanted it to be a natural birth, and it turns out that it was 30 hours of natural.”

Of that 30 hours, a full 8 were spent pushing!

“Eight hours of pushing, that’s the part that men don’t understand. Women go, ‘Oh, dear, oh, dear God, eight hours of pushing?’ And the men are like, ‘Okay, eight hours of pushing,’” Evangeline says. “After about five hours of pushing, my midwife and my birthing assistant said, ‘You know, we have a few suggestions,’” she says. “And I was like, ‘Really? After five hours of pushing you have a few suggestions? You couldn’t have told me five minutes in?’”

Her long and intense labor certainly hasn’t given her second thoughts about having more kids, though. Evangeline shares that she wants “a brood” of babies!

Filed under: Evangeline Lilly

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

Good for her for being an advocate of home birth! Everyone who reads this site needs to watch the documentary The Business of Being Born and read some of Ina May Gaskin’s books. Home birth is safe and a good choice for women with healthy normal pregnancies.

2. Ashley

So awesome of her talking about this. :) I love how she isn’t all “oh, it was so wonderful, not at all painful” like some celebrities. Love this lady. She doesn’t seem fake at all.

Advocate, yes. But pushing for 8 hours is not normal or healthy. Something is just not right there.

I am an OBGYN and yes pushing for 8 hours IS very normal. MD’s will make you believe it is not normal, so you will use the expensive drugs and hospital room and then make a Dr. loads of money. Every birth is different. If a healthy baby comes out, than everything that that mother went through was normal for HER birth! Rock on Ms. Lilly, show these girls how it is really done.

I seriously doubt that you are an OB/GYN. I’m an LDRP nurse and it is NOT normal at all.

• Janna

There’s no way that pushing for 8 hours is normal. Anyone who has ever had a baby can tell you that pushing for 2 hours is hell, 8 hours has to be damn near impossible. Watch any birthing video when a woman is actively pushing and tell me that she’d be able to keep that up for 8 hours. No way.

5. courtney

oh shut up real stars have been giving birth at home for more than 40 years it’s not a new phenomenon. Ms Lilly isn’t some huge star either so why should we listen to her not all women that want a natural birth can have one for example if the baby or one of the babies in a multiple pregnancy is breech or the chord is wrapped around the child’s neck than a C-section is Neccessary to save the life of the mother and the child/children

• Janna

courtney… you’ve been commenting here for a long time, but I’ve never actually seen you be mean until recently. First this post, then the one on January Jones. You ok, girl?

(It just occurred to me that this might be a DIFFERENT courtney because there’s been no mention of the Redgrave family lately, and they seem to be courtney’s favorite celebrity family)

Home birth is the most irresponsible thing a person can do to their child and to themselves. What if something goes wrong? And who is Evangeline Lily anyway?

• gini

I agree. Home births are just plain selfish to me. If all births went smoothly and nothing ever went wrong, I would be a total advocate but things can go wrong. And if for whatever reason they need to get the baby out super fast, baby has no chance. Yes women have been giving birth naturally and at home for millions of years but the mortality rate or women and babies was also very high.

• anonymous

actually things can go wrong at hospital as well in fact more so… there is no reason why healthy woman with healthy pregnancies should give birth at home, when they have all the comforts and support. At the end of the day is up to us, strong healthy woman, where feels safetest.

• Annie123

Ignorant on so many levels, haha

• gini

I agree! I feel like having a home birth is just plain selfish. If every birth went smoothly and nothing ever went wrong, I’d be a total advocate for it. But things can and do go wrong sometimes. And when you are dealing with your childs life isn’t it better just to be safe than sorry. Yes, millions of women have been having natural births at home for millions of years but the mortality rate of babies and mothers was also very high too.

• CW

More complications happen in hospital births than in home births do to the unessecary interventions done. Also the US has one of the highest Maternal mortality rates in a modern country and the second highest new born death rate. This isn’t because “selfish” woman who only thinking of themselves, it’s the selfish doctors who are more worried about getting woman out of the it hospital before their shift ends.

• Victoria

That is such an illusory correlation, Not to mention that the rate of infant mortality has always been one of controversy, not to mention that even in 1910 America had the highest infant mortality rate of the “civilized world” lol, laughable, especially compared to some of the countries we’re compared to, not to mention that some countries don’t even count premature babies into their numbers, nor do they even try to rescucitate or care for very very very premature babies, they just let them die, and no those kids are not counted into there numbers either. (and yes I put the not to mentions on purpose)

• Janna

It’s too bad that woman can’t have the best of BOTH worlds. Labor in her own way (walking, standing, squatting, whatever) without medical intervention unless it becomes necessary.

As far as I’m concerned, I think this is what has been pushing the latest trend toward home births. Women need to be left alone, monitored unobtrusively and given real instruction on the birthing process so they can do it in their own way.

what happened to her chin?

8. TF

Why does every woman who chooses a home/ natural birth feel they deserve a social medal? If that’s what you choose more power to you. Yet in the media if one god forbid opts for an epidural or worse yet a c-section, they always sound like they are ashamed.

All that matters is a healthy end result.

I am proud to have given birth to my first son at home just two weeks ago tomorrow. He was 9 lbs. 3 oz. I was in active labor for 8 hours. Those of you saying home birth is selfish are seriously mistaken. My son arrived healthy, alert (not drugged) and was able to nurse immediately. Do your research and see what the selfish road is. You’re part of the reason there are so many complications and unnatural births. I was designed to give birth and by trusting my body I got to fully experience one of the most intense, enlightening, uplifting and empowering moments ever.

• Ruby&Lucymomma

It is great that you had such a great experience. I don’t agree that home birth is selfish, but I do think it’s unsafe.
      I recently had a high risk delivery, but I delivered a healthy 9.6 lbs baby without complications, I was surrounded by people who knew what they were doing. …in the hospital, with an epidural. She was born wide eyed and alert, she was placed on my tummy and I was ENCOURAGED by all OB staff to nurse immediately, even before family came into see the her. I think often home-birth moms are unaware of how things in the hospital work, they hear rumors and stories and assume they have no control and it’s an awful sterile environment. In fact, my experience was quite the opposite. I loved my nurse (who, I had throughout my entire labor/delivery) I had access to a television, radio, bathroom, tub/shower, water, blankets, pillows…..most of the items I would have used at home. I made the decisions but left it up to the medical team to decide what was safe for me and my baby.

It’s great that you can say that. Now try being in active labour for more than 30 hours and see how “empowered” and “enlightened” you feel! Some people don’t have the luxury of an 8 hour labour, so get off your high horse and shut up.

10. AnnieDJ

Everyone uses the argument that more complications arise in hospital births. First of , I’d like to know where they are getting this information? There are records, statistics, etc., on births in hospitals – but not on home births. Where are the stats on those they are comparing? And my main point – of COURSE there are more complications and even fatalities in hospitals – because women in high risk situations are not giving birth at home. Women who are more likely to have a serious problem are giving birth in hospitals. Also, I’m sure the number of neonatal deaths in hospitals includes at least a few babies whose mothers had attempted home birth, had complications, and were rushed to the hospital. I personally don’t agree with home births, there are so many options today, such as birthing centers which use few interventions but have them available for emergencies. I was born in an emergency c-section, I would be dead if my mother had wanted to have me at home. I have lost a child, a 2 day old little boy. He had a heart condition, his death was not a result of birth complications, but I know what it’s like to lose a child, and if I knew he was gone because what I wanted out of my birth experience had been more important to me than his safety, and was the reason he died, I couldn’t live with myself. The goal of childbirth is not some perfect, ideal experience for me- the goal is a healthy, safely delivered baby.

First my son was born in a hospital and it was a horrible experience and should I have another I would seriously consider home birth. If you have good experiences in hospitals then I’m happy for you and wish I had your doctors and nurses. If you go the natural way gmore power to you but I don’t think you need to brag about how you survived 30 hours of labor and a thunderstorm. Sometimes having family secrets is nice. Especially when u can tell ur children when their teenagers and they don’t say “come on this story again!”