Amber Portwood: Why I’m Giving Up Custody Of My Daughter

Amber Portwood: Why I'm Giving Up Custody Of My Daughter

It’s been a long, bumpy road to recovery for Teen Mom star Amber Portwood. Less than two months after checking out of rehab following a suicide attempt, the young mom was once again rushed to the hospital due to a severe panic attack. And although she denies having a drinking problem and says that she’s been regularly taking medication to treat her depression, Amber reveals to E! News that she still thinks about taking her own life.

“Honestly, I feel like I did two months ago. I’m still suicidal,” says Portwood, pointing to tabloid “lies” about her party-girl lifestyle and people – even her own brother – questioning the love she has for her daughter, Leah, 2, as the kind of “bullying” that contributes to her depression. Despite what’s being reported, Amber insists that her decision to temporarily relinquish custody of her child to baby daddy Gary Shirley has absolutely nothing to do with her wanting her “freedom.”

“The only reason I am letting Gary have custody of Leah right now is to keep CPS off our backs,” says Portwood, who’s currently serving probation as the result of a plea deal reached this summer in her felony domestic battery case. “I see Leah whenever I can. I have stipulations as to when I can and can’t see her.”

The reality star may be having issues with her ex and certain members of her family, but there’s at least one relationship in her life that’s seeing some improvement; her relationship with her mother.

“My mom knows everything that’s going on in my life right now and we’re great,” says Portwood.

Filed under: Amber Portwood,Celebrity Moms

Photo credit: Fame

This situation is sad. But Amber just yells sooo much on the show and fights with Gary constantly and overreacts and just freaks out all the time (whenever she talks to Gary).

2. Janna

This girl needs to watch every single episode of Teen Mom in which she appeared, and she needs to watch it objectively. She is an abuser. Her behavior is mortifying and she should be ashamed of herself for the way she treats that baby’s father. She should take that in, accept full responsibility, and make a real commitment to change.

The reason people “question her love” is because of the way she acts. She only shows it when that baby is not around. “Oh, I miss her” “Oh, I just want my daughter” then when the baby is there, she usually ignores her to lie around in a filthy apartment.

If she really want to “keep CPS off your back”, she’ll shape up and stop blaming everyone and everything else for her bad behavior. Trading custody of a child is not a game.

3. Martha H.

I think you are doing the right thing, Amber. You are trying so hard to do the best you can and I think that is all that can be asked of you. I know you love that sweet little girl and are on the road to becoming the mother she needs. Just keep up the good fight!!!

I hope that Amber really grows up! she’s 21!

I’m hoping that Amber grows up! She’s 21 yrs. old!

I think all she wants is attention and for ppl to feel sorry for her. Shes a crappy mother and just seems to do or say whatever for attention. No disrespect but this whole oh my sister died Im depressed seems like an act. No one heard of this till what 4 seasons of her on tv and how would she even remember any of that? Her comment of I wish Candice was here so I can be there for her made me kinda think “hmmm well how about you try being there for your kid”. Shes lazy anf just sits around in bed or on a couch and parents by yelling or watching her kid play w toys. In a nut shell shes a horrid mom and an attnetion whore

I agree. She is a horrid Mother. I feel for poor little Leah. That little girl barely has a chance in the world, and her Mom is out acting like an ass! Parties, Drugs…..and this whole “Woe is Me,I’m going to kill Myself” Act is really going too far. Amber,if you want attention,BE A GREAT MOTHER. If you want attention,ACTUALLY STEP UP AND DO WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO. If you want attention,HOW ABOUT YOU GET OFF OF YOUR LAZY OVEREMOTIONAL ASS AND SHOW THE WORLD YOU CAN BE A MOTHER. I am 19 damn years old,and I have more sense than you! I am MARRIED,HAVE A JOB,AND A NICE PLACE TO LIVE. Knock out all of that sawdust in your head before someone else does it for you!

Amber is just abusive. If she abuses substances then that is what makes her abusive. I mean I have been in an abusive relationship myself. Gary is better off without her PERIOD. I am better off without my ex who is abusive. My ex abuses alcohol.