Dog The Bounty Hunter Awarded Custody Of Grandson After Audio Of Abuse Surfaces

Dog The Bounty Hunter Awarded Custody Of Grandson After Audio Of Abuse Surfaces

A very disturbing audio recording that appears to capture a beating of a child is at the center of a court battle, a debate that has ended up granting Duane “Dog the Bounty Hunter” Chapman temporary custody of his 9-year-old grandson Travis Mimms Jr.

Radaronline reports that the young man – who is the child of Duane’s late daughter Barbara Katie Chapman and her husband Travis Mimms – was living with his father when the recording of the alleged abuse was captured.

The chilling tape portrays what Duane’s family believes to be Travis Jr. being struck repeatedly and crying as the abuser – who is reportedly his father – curses at him and erupts in anger.

Although Travis Sr. denies hitting his son, he later admits to administering only three spanks, claiming that he struck the boy “once for me, once for him and once for God.”

He also claims that Travis Jr. is frightened of Duane and his wife Beth Chapman and that Duane threatened to kill him.

The A&E reality TV star – who has been estranged from his son-in-law for approximately one year – reveals that he deeply saddened by the events that have unfolded.

I don’t want to take my grandson’s dad away from him. I want him [Travis Senior] to take parenting classes. We had to get Travis [Junior] out of that situation. I was beaten by my father, too. But we have to break that cycle.”

Beth Chapman also adds, “This is all about protecting a little boy, not about hurting his dad. We’re doing what we have to do. We want Travis Senior to get help.”

Both men have obtained restraining orders against each other.

Continue reading this shocking report and listen to the audio clip at Radaronline.

Filed under: Duane Chapman

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

1. nana

I THINK ITS GREAT THEY CAN TAKE THEIR GRANDSON AND BE THERE FOR HIM LOVE HIM PROTECT HIM THIS IS ABOUT THIS LIL BOY NO ONE ELSE

I really wish i did not just listen to that audio, I want to throw up..So disgusting. Poor little man needs a good family who actually wont hurt him!

Me too – it was painful and sickening to hear it. I heard it on one of those Entertainment shows (ET?) when I was channel surfing. I don’t think it was necessary for them to play the audio and what made it worse was that they played it over and over again — on a promo as well as on a subsequent day.

Do you realize how irresponsible it is to report the name of this child, who so happens to be a minor? He does have a life outside of this “tragic” event that has occurred to him. He still must return to school and attempt to live his life as normally as possible and it will definitely be difficult with his name floating around the media. Not only do his teachers know about this occurring to him, but his peers are aware as well which will only make it more difficult to return to a safe environment at school. People may ask him questions that he may not be comfortable answering. Responsible journalism means respecting the innocence of a child and realizing what is best for not only the “media” but more importantly of this INNOCENT child! This has been a public service announcement.

Problem is this family is in the limelight all the time with their TV show and all..

• Janna

I agree. People could probably figure out who he was without his name being in the story, but that still doesn’t make actually naming him right. And just because one media outlet names him, doesn’t mean that CBS has to do it, too. Shame on you.

• jaymexico

I do understand ur point on this; however regardless of if they said his name or not anyone would of known who he was. Dog does a reality show. And with the show alot of his family life is exposed. so it would not be hard to figure out wich grandson it was

too much sun bathing…scary looking

6. Europa

It seems if you’re connected to the celebrity world even indirectly as this child is, you have lost any right to privacy or respect. Your personal business is blasted all over the internet for everyone to see. There must be no laws in place to protect the innocent.

good for u guys for stepping up!!to many people turn there heads now adays just cause they are family!!that boy and his father could still have a chance!!

8. Curious George

In what state was this audio of child abuse crime committed? So, does anybody know of California having the same laws without violating PC 632 to protect the victim ????

9. Curious George

What the father considers spanking,the boy word for it was beating,common sense would have told the father not to repeat what his son says is beating.

U people crack me up!! I understand keeping the childs name out of this but they have there own tv show.. When in fact it doesn’t matter what u say or think. The point of the matter is Dog is taking care of it. And if your so against how things are going then change the channal or don’t read about it. What I’m saying is it has nothing to do with u so get a life. The Dog and his family are amazing people and would never hurt someone they love. I get so mad when people pass judgement on others when the problem is within there own homes.

12. cheyenne

i use to wich dog the bount hunt it was a good show ever wensday night come on i set down and wich it befor i go to bed

13. cheyenne

this made me sick…..to have a family that loves him is what is go to help him on all of this

The audio was hard to listen to but they need to keep the child safe so this type of thing doesnt continue

16. Shakefellow

I am crushed to listen to that tape of that innocent child who has lost his mother and now must endure an abusive father who also lies. I counted thirteen hits in that recording. That guy is the lowest saying he hit the child once for him, once for himself and once for God. He’s a hypocrit also. My prayers go out for the child. I hope someone gives that father what he deserves.

I’m sorry alot of baby boomers were spanked and were not taken away from their parents. I think he is using his celebrity to hold on to what’s tangibly left of his daughter. I hope the dad appeals but he does not have the money the chapmans have. I don’t beleive ripping a child away from their parent. Let him take parenting classes while the child is in the only environment he has whether the dad is poor or rich. As usual, there’s more of a backstory that isn’t mentioned.

What sickens me is that people believe that this family does no wrong. Travis is a wonderful man, and an amazing father. I have personally known his for 15 years, and I know that this man loves his child, and this little boy worships the ground that his daddy walks on.
    People make mistakes and learn from them. Travis has been thru a lot in his life, not only having a child at a young age, having to step up to the plate and uprooting his life in Alaska to move to Hawaii to be with his child, to most recently a death of a loved one.
    Please don’t judge on what you don’t know about. There is a lot more that goes on with this family than what meets the eye.
    This is being blown way out of proportion, due to their “celebrity status,” and it makes me sick thinking that they are trying to tear this little family apart.

19. George

yo dog why dont you guys come to toronto becouse i am a big fan of your show

20. George

yo dog why dont you guys come to toronto becouse i am a big fan of your show

21. George

yo dog

22. George

how is beth doing

23. George

how is beth doing

24. George

i will love to see you guys

25. George

hey

26. George

can i pls talk to you guys pls

27. George