Kristin Davis: Leaving Gemma Is “Really Stressful”

Kristin Davis: Leaving Gemma Is "Really Stressful"

Now back to work, new mom Kristin Davis says it’s “a struggle” to leave her baby girl Gemma Rose each day.

“I have to say, it’s still really stressful,” Kristin tells Access Hollywood. “I have amazing help or I would never get through it. But last week we had a day where I didn’t see her awake. I left in the dark I got home in the dark…. I saw her when she was sleeping, but it really does [hurt], and then you feel, you know, wrong inside, so it’s a struggle.”

The former Sex and the City star also opens up about the process of adopting baby Gemma, saying, “For me, it wasn’t that long of a process and I hesitate to say that because I feel like people don’t really understand adoption, and there are a lot of misconceptions, and I know there’s kind of a cynical view that famous people somehow buy their babies which is, you know, very, very far from the truth. There are a lot of laws involved in adoption and everybody has to go through the same process.”

Kristin will be back on the small screen next year in the Lifetime movie, Of Two Minds.

Filed under: Kristin Davis

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

You FEEL wrong because it IS wrong. You adopted a baby, only to leave it with someone else for days at a time.

I understand adoption perfectly. What I don’t understand is adopting a child, then having someone else raise it.

• carrie J

I dont get it either, I like Kristen, but doesn’t she know there are no “do overs” when it comes to raising a child. You get ONE chance so you better be sure you follow your instincts-hers are definately trying to tell her something. She can certainly afford to take some time and spend it with the little baby, unless her ego is getting in the way. This is just another example of aquiring a child as an accessory, and not planning realistically or accordingly. “Help” is not the parent, and the child will ALWAYS remember and know this. So unfortunate…

2. Anonymous9

How hard could it be to leave when you pretty much never work anymore and just sit around waiting for SJP to call with a new SITC project?

3. Krissy

Pathetic….she has a choice to see or not see her child daily. I would never go a day without seeing my children…..big deal she is an actress. I am a mother and that is why I would never do such a selfish act.

4. Me&Them

Wow! Aren’t you all jumping to conclusions here? She said one day last week she had to work early and then late and missed seeing her baby. ONE DAY. I don’t see how working to support herself and her child could be deemed “selfish.” Judgmental reactions like these is why us working moms don’t express ourselves more often.

• Janna

Actually, she said it’s a struggle to leave “each day”, then went on to expand about one day in particular that she didn’t see her daughter **at all**.

i wonder what she’s working on…

6. Jalen

Jesus christ, so when a woman has a baby, she’s supposed to give up her job? Um, no, that is not the way it works. Apparently none of you shrews live in the real world.

• Janna

I don’t think anyone said that, but she adopted that baby 2 months ago and is already leaving it with someone else every day. This woman does not *have* to work, she chooses to. So she chose to adopt this baby (no one made her do it) then she chose to leave it in the care of someone else (no one made her do that either), then she wants to talk about how tough it is.

You really don’t see ANYTHING wrong with that? From someone who has made serious cash over the years and almost certainly doesn’t HAVE to do it?

If anything, she is an insult to mothers who truly HAVE to work and have no choice but to leave their kids to be raised by others.

• Cliff

Jana,
        Compared to most of us, she has “serious” cash in the bank, but in order to support that lifestyle, she probably feels she has to keep working. Hence, the need to take whatever job comes her way on their terms and timing- low budget tv movies, whatever.

No, I don’t see anything wrong with it. So what if she doesn’t HAVE to work to pay the bills? Having a job is not just about money. Many people are not fulfilled by only having children, or only having a job – they need both. But it still doesn’t mean it’s easy, or that a woman shouldn’t be allowed to talk about the difficulties just because she chose her situation.

And forgotten here are the stark realities of being a woman her age in Hollywood. Anyone who reads anything about the entertainment industry knows that it’s very hard to find good parts, or any parts at all, for women over 40, and it just gets more difficult the more time goes by. If you drop out for personal reasons, even just temporarily, it can kill your career.

Which, again, isn’t just about money. God forbid a woman actually like and enjoy her career and derive personal fulfillment from it. All this criticism is so sexist – you never see anyone talk about men, famous or nonfamous, this way.

• anon

So this baby that she CHOSE to adopt now has to deal with the fact that she’s “NOT FULFILLED” and spend her time with nannies? Love your logic.

Like I have always said, 99% of the celebrities are not a very good role models.
    They have their own personal agenda ahead of everything that they are always trying to fulfill.They have mastered their acting skills in their world of make believe whether right or wrong.

I don’t usually comment on articles but your comments are so upsetting. As a stay at home mom of 4, 3 bio, 1 foster that we are adopting, I would never judge a mom who’s really trying to do what’s right.. She obliviously loves this little girl. And while not maybe ideal, this little baby is part of a family now. And that beats foster care system any day. Plus we don’t know her situation or how much she’s away from her daily. This was just a little tid bit. And it sounds like she’s getting the best child care money can buy. So all of you SAHM, don’t be so quick to judge. We need more people to open up their wallets, hearts and homes to help the many kids that need a family. Don’t discourage others who are… She may have chosen to adopt and thank God she did because that’s one less baby thrown into the system. And trust me she had to put in a lot of effort to get that little baby rather than just getting knocked up and forced with one. I say we should applaud anyone who is trying to make a difference.