Angelina Jolie: I Want My Kids To “Live A Truly Global Life”

Angelina Jolie: I Want My Kids To "Live A Truly Global Life"

Already an actress, a mom, a humanitarian, Angelina Jolie added director to her list of accomplishments with the release of her new film In the Land of Blood and Honey, which was nominated for a Golden Globe earlier this week. In an interview with Starpulse.com, Angelina says that regardless of whatever other projects she tackles, the family she shares with Brad Pitt and their 6 children will always be her top priority.

On making time for films and family: “Well, I would never sacrifice any time with my family. Brad and I, if we couldn’t manage our schedules, we would always sacrifice work. So I stayed with him while he was doing Moneyball in L.A. with the kids. And I did the prep for this film mostly here and I only traveled for two days and I came back, two days and I came back. I kept doing that because I couldn’t leave my family for a long time. So I had a very scattered prep and I only had three days in country before I started shooting because I had to stay with my family. And Brad’s film went over so I had to push back. We had three days where I was completely there and then I started and he was there a week later. So we just do everything we can to try to stay together and through the film, my family was there. So he took the kids to school and after school they came to set and we would usually stay outside of the set and play with the fake snow and try not to come anywhere near the camera because it’s an inappropriate film for them to be near.”

On how her kids’ childhoods differ from her own: “Well, I’m trying to make them just more global. My mother, as open as she was, we just didn’t travel as much and she always taught me to be a good person. She was always interested in things. She took me to my first Amnesty International for dinner when I was nine. She was part Native American and always told me issues but we didn’t live outside of America. We didn’t travel, we weren’t at home in the world. Our world was smaller. So with my family, I’m trying to raise them to have respect for all people and make friends around the world and feel at home with the world and really live a truly global [life] because I think it’s what forms them and it’s really important to me. And I make sure they do their math and their science, but that is the most important thing for me.”

On what makes her happiest: “Being a mom. We had a moment, often I’m happy whenever I’m with my children, but there was a moment where we had just finished work in New York and Brad and I were piled in the car with the kids and we’re listening to Christmas songs and we were laughing and playing games in the car and I looked at Brad and I said, ‘This is one of these moments, isn’t it? This is the moments we live for.’ And so it’s that. You just catch yourself sometimes and you look around. I’m so fortunate; I love my family so much. And they’re such a funny, interesting group of people.”

Read Angelina’s entire interview at Starpulse.com

Filed under: Angelina Jolie

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

1. Someone

I really hope she takes the children’s opinion into consideration. I wish my parents had asked me. I hated moving houses constantly, going to new schools, learning another language when I’d just got the hang of a previous one and having to make new friends. When I was 15 I put my foot down and decided to stay with family until I could finish my exams, go to school and be “normal” I would never consider moving my kids around. They’ll be blessed with holidays and they can travel when their older :)
    Money doesn’t buy you happiness. I had to learn the hard way.

If making millions and jet-setting around the world, living in the next estate, mansion or castle makes you feel “at home in the world”, good for you. But having some deluded notion that all your children are going to feel the same way or choose the same lifestyle when they’re older is a bit ridiculous. Sitting in your ivory tower watching the suffering of the rest of the world does not make you one with the people. And please don’t get me wrong; I recognize the value of her humanitarian work, but when she starts talking about how righteous their lifestyle is, I just have to roll my eyes.

Well said

• To Anonymous

You sound awfully bitter. But you are right about one thing, she is talking about their lifestyle, not yours. Their children seem happy and healthy. And far from sitting in an invory tower, she and Brad have worked to improve life for many, including Katrina victims in this country. That doesn’t sound much like watching the suffering of the rest of world to me nor does her work in for the UN.

• Janna

It’s true. There’s no guarantee that her children will feel the same way or choose the same lifestyle. But let’s face: ALL parents force their own lifestyle onto their children. If you’re Jewish, you force that onto your children, so do Christians. Lots of vegetarians force that way of eating onto their child, same for non-vegetarians. If you live a hippie lifestyle, you’re forcing your child to do the same. Live a nomadic lifestyle? So do your kids. She’s decided to give her kids *this* experience, the experience she wants them to have. What they do with it when they’re older is for them to decide. Do you think she doesn’t KNOW that?

And what do you propose that Angelie Jolie *DO* to change your view that she is “sitting in an ivory tower watching the suffering of the rest of the world”? She visits impoverished countries, raises money for multiple causes, brings awareness of the suffering of others, tries to understand other ways of life, does what she can to help. Is that not enough for you? Should she give away every cent she’s ever made? Would that do it?

The one single solitary thing that makes me feel a little badly for celebrities is something that never happens to the rest of us. Celebrities are constantly be judged for how much they do (or don’t do) for others, usually by someone sitting in front of a computer or on their couch, helping no one. Ivory tower indeed.

I just wish she’d show some humility. On the one hand, she is doing as you say, raising money for causes, bringing awareness to the suffering of impoverished people. That is very good work. But on the other hand, her OWN lifestyle and the lifestyle of her family represent everything those impoverished people DON’T have. The frequent shopping sprees at the toy store, the designer clothes, the private shows, the private jet, the mansions and castles on dozens of acres, the top-tier private schools for the kids, and on and on.

I just find it extremely distasteful that she is constantly attempting to convince the public that she and her family are so in-touch with the plight of poor people around the world, when the life they live is so far to the other extreme. In MY opinion, she is a self-righteous attention-seeker who enjoys a luxurious lifestyle for herself and her family, but expects to be recognized and defined by her humanitarian work. The humanitarians that history remembers are the ones that get down to the people’s level and live a more modest life because of their dedication to the people they represent. She talks the talk, but doesn’t walk the walk.

She’s a freaking movie star, yet you expect that she should live in a hut somewhere with mud floors so she can prove that she’s down with it? Ridiculous. You’re basically saying that unless you give up everything you own and move into the bush, you’re self-rightous? Ridiculous.

Princess Diana spent a decade bringing attention to the plight of others less fortunate. Does that not count because she was rich, too?

Martin Luther King was a humanitarian who spent most of his life fighting for the civil rights of himself and others. If he didn’t live in a ghetto and eat fried chicken for dinner every night, I get he was just an attention whore who was only serving himself.

3. Alix

@Anonymous: Yep. What you said.

4. Alix

@Anonymous: Completely agree. Not to mention that fact that living a “global life” takes $$$$$$$.

5. Daniella

Although I find her wishes for her children to lead a “global” lifestyle to be quite admirable, it unfortunately comes off as pretentious & self- righteous to me. Do you really have to travel to truly feel at home in the world? If that’s the case, then the vast, and I mean vast, majority of people must feel miserable on Earth. Myself included. Quite simply: Traveling takes a LOT of money. And 90% of the people in this world don’t have enough of it to even travel out of their home country more than once or twice in their whole life. I’m one of those people, but I certainly consider myself to be very worldly, which is a direct result of me reading & educating myself on the countries I could never afford to visit. And while I do respect what they want to teach their kids, Brad & Angelina can try as they might, but they & their children will never know/remember true, stomach-hungry poverty & the constant anxiety & fear that comes with it.

• Janna

It’s pretentious and self-righteous that she wants her kids to have the benefit of global travel, knowledge and awareness of other cultures? Wouldn’t just about EVERYONE want that for their kids if they could afford it? Should she never speak of it lest she make someone who can’t afford it feel badly about that?

Try as they might, the VAST MAJORITY of people you know will never know true stomach-hungry poverty & the constant anxiety & fear that comes with it. (And you’re wrong, some of her children may very well remember it. It’s actually pretty presumptous of you to assume they wouldn’t.) What is it you expect them to do, starve their kids so that they’ll understand?

This woman just cannot win in some people’s eye. Luckily for her, I’m our opinions are meaningless in her world.

• Daniella

No, what I find pretentious & self-righteous is how she makes it sound like the only way her children will achieve that is through constant traveling. You cannot tell me those children do not get tired of constantly being on a plane or being carted from one country to another. You do NOT need to visit all of those places to be aware of their cultures or have a global or worldly take on life. You can read & educate yourself or your children on the world, which is another effective way to become “worldly”. That’s the point I’m trying to make. Angelina just makes it sound like traveling is the only way to do that, which might not have been her intention, but it came off sounding that way to me.

They are one of the wealthiest families in Hollywood, so I think it’s pretty safe to assume that they will never know what it’s like to experience the constant worrying that average people all over the world do. Yes, it’s possible that Pax may remember because he was slightly older when they adopted him, but the others? No. However, I still find the work Angelina does with the U.N. and many aid organizations to be extremely admirable, and I will always hold respect for her willingness to actually get her hands dirty from time to time to help those less fortunate than herself. That’s still much more than the majority of Hollywood does, without a doubt.

“No, what I find pretentious & self-righteous is how she makes it sound like the only way her children will achieve that is through constant traveling.” That is NOT what she said at all. That is YOUR twist on what she said.

“You cannot tell me those children do not get tired of constantly being on a plane or being carted from one country to another.”
          You can not tell me that they do. You don’t know them. How would you know?

“You do NOT need to visit all of those places to be aware of their cultures or have a global or worldly take on life. You can read & educate yourself or your children on the world, which is another effective way to become “worldly”. That’s the point I’m trying to make. Angelina just makes it sound like traveling is the only way to do that, which might not have been her intention, but it came off sounding that way to me.
          Do you seriously equate READING about impoverished nations with witnessing impoverished nations, their people, the climate, the atmosphere? If so, I can’t help you. But there’s nothing WRONG with her thinking that travelling to these places (including some of their own birth places, for heaven’s sake) is the BEST way for them to appreciate the world, she never said or implied that it was the ONLY way. You said that, not her.

“Angelina may not be trying to be or sound pretentious, but her lifestyle is so far removed from the average person’s that it accidentally comes off as that to some of us who will never be able to provide this so-called “global” lifestyle to our children. And I can feel however I want, that’s why it’s my opinion. ”
          It’s clear how you feel: Jealous. And you somehow feel that unless she’s living in a hut with a mud floor, then she’s pretentious and can’t possibly appreciate how the other half lives.

“They are one of the wealthiest families in Hollywood, so I think it’s pretty safe to assume that they will never know what it’s like to experience the constant worrying that average people all over the world do. Yes, it’s possible that Pax may remember because he was slightly older when they adopted him, but the others? No.”
          It’s insulting that you would brush off the experiences of some of those children whose lives were probably 100x worse than yours will ever be in your entire lifetime. Because they’ll never have to face that again is a blessing, not something for you to try to berate them for.

“However, I still find the work Angelina does with the U.N. and many aid organizations to be extremely admirable, and I will always hold respect for her willingness to actually get her hands dirty from time to time to help those less fortunate than herself. That’s still much more than the majority of Hollywood does, without a doubt.”
          It’s more than the majority of the ENTIRE PLANET DOES. Hollywood shouldn’t be held to a different standard. Look around you. Most people that you know do NOTHING to help their fellow man. Yet no matter what Angelie Jolie does, it’s just not good enough and she should do more, be more, give up more. Crazy.

• Daniella

You know what, you need to learn to accept & respect the opinions of others, instead of insulting them or assuming the exact same things you’re accusing them of. I never said Angelina was a bad person (I actually think she’s a fairly nice, caring & quirky person & mother overall), I just stated that I felt she was a bit pretentious in her statement & it’s hard for the average person to relate to someone who lives such an extravagent lifestyle. I’m ALLOWED to do that. People are allowed to have different interpretations of things than others around them. What you see in a statement could likely be different than the person next to you depending on their background or lifestyle.

And yes, I grew up impoverished in a gang-ridden area, saw people I knew shot to death in the streets, went hungry many a day or night, & suffered neglect along with physical, verbal & emotional abuse as a child. There, are you now happy that I admitted it? I would never wish that or anything else I saw or experienced growing up on any child, but you just assumed that I would & that I led some little hunky-dorry life. Thanks for assuming that. I give huge credit to Angelina for adopting, especially an older child, because living an early life of abject neglect does things to a child. Trust me.

She is a really good decent woman who has gone through hell for the last 7 years yet always comes out on top and smiling. Her children love the lifestyle so as long as the kids like it, why not? There is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to raise a child/ren. Children don’t need to be routed in one place like tree stumps to have stability. Stability is in those you live with and in your heart. It is not a location.

You have interesting standards for defining “a good decent woman”. Also, you are incorrect, there are many, many, many “wrong” ways to raise children and dragging them all over the world to satisfy your own wanderlust is one of them.

7. dee

We can only hope the children turn out to be great adults. The parents do many good deeds with cameras at their side, years ago Hollywood people did great things anonymously.

*yawn* these two are soooo 27 seconds ago….

I really like Angelina Jolie but sometimes she comes off as really annoying and pretentious. As a previous poster commented “It takes MONEY to travel the world” as much as I’d love to travel the world, and really experience what it has to offer (the good and the bad) instead of just read about it. I’m a middle class American who can’t afford that (not that I’m complaining, I know how fortunate I am.) Sometimes Brad and her come off as condescending towards those who don’t travel. I would if I could Angelina, and I’m glad you do all those wonderful things but you also have the luxury of being filthy rich.

She is NOT Native American, neither was her mother. Jon Voight stated already that Marcia Lynn (Marcheline’s real name) and himself made up the Native American heritage to make her seem more exotic and marketable as an actress. Genealogists have gone through her family tree and found no evidence of any Native American ancestors on her mother’s side. I really wish she would stop perpetuating that lie about how she’s Native American when she actually isn’t.