Mayim Bialik Pens A Parenting Book

Mayim Bialik Pens A Parenting Book

Since welcoming her sons Miles, 6, and Frederick, 3, actress Mayim Bialik seems to have become the celebrity voice for attachment parenting.

The former Blossom star is open about her parenting decisions, from extended breastfeeding to co-sleeping, and now she’s set to share her experience as a mom with the masses in a new book titled Beyond the Sling.

In an interview with USA Today, Mayim explains the premise behind the book:

I’ve become sort of an accidental advocate for attachment parenting, which is a style of parenting that … basically, the way mammals parent and the way people have parented for pretty much all of human history except the last 200 years or so.

I don’t really think that I have any authority to write a parenting book, so basically, I wrote what this style of parenting looks like in our house. I have a neuroscience background — that’s what my doctorate is in — and I was trained to study hormones of attachment, so I definitely feel my parenting is informed by that.

But the main gist of it is that intuitively we know how to parent. We know when a baby cries it’s hard not to pick that baby up, and there’s a reason for that. I advocate for natural birth, I advocate for breast feeding, we sleep with our kids, we use baby carriers, but I don’t think that I get to tell anyone how to parent. The idea is more ‘What are the principles behind these kinds of decisions?” and those (can) inform whatever style of parenting you choose.’

From Blossom to The Big Bang Theory, Mayim is an old pro when it comes to the small screen. But despite her fame, she says that her sons still don’t watch TV.

“My older son is 6. We don’t have him watch television, so I think his consciousness has not shifted toward thinking of me as a celebrity, because it’s not part of his world to watch television like that.”

Filed under: Uncategorized

Photo credit: Denise Herrick Borchert

This is bizarre – although this post was added a day after another one I commented on, comments are already showing on this one. My comment has yet to appear….. and no, the remarks I made were not offensive, rude and actually pretty tame.

LOL – maybe that’s the problem!! Based on some of the comments I’ve read on this site, the more controversial and offensive the comment, the better. Too tame is too lame around here apparently.

This seems to be an example of a worthwhile book by a celeb – nice change.

3. Sherry

Love her! I’d definitely read it. I have friends who parent very similar to the way Mayim does. My kids are grown now,but if I had to do it over, there are definitely a few things I’d change.

4. SMH

Everyone will parent differently and it’s whatever works for you. I wouldn’t breastfeed a 3 year old or have my kids co-sleep but that’s just how I roll.
    The only thing I find ironic and this isn’t just Mayim but many celebs do this but the whole can’t watch tv thing. I find it hypocritical of people who are ON tv to then turn around and not own one or watch it! I don’t think the tv should be a babysitter for your kids and it should be very much limited but it’s not that bad when you monitor the educational shows. I just don’t think I could be an actress which is how I make my living then turn around and say oh but I don’t allow it in my home lol

• Amber

You’re not making any sense. People have jobs to make a living and be able to pay their bills…..it doesn’t mean they want their kids involved. I’m a nurse and I wouldn’t want my kids watching what I do…..am I a hypocrite? I think most people would rather not have young children watch what they do for a living.

Do you also feel it’s hypocritical for prostitutes to not want their kids to watch them work? It’s the same thing really.

i AGREE TO PICK UP YOUR BABIES WHEN THEY CRY, BUT SLEEP WITH THEM WHEN THEY’RE 3 AND 6 IS A LITTLE MUCH. YOU’RE POSSIBLY CREATING ATTACHMENT DISORDERS AND DEPENDENCY ISSUES.
    MY MOM FORCED ME TO PLAY WITH MY BROTHER ALL THE TIME I WASN’T ALLOWED TO GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT HIM (ONE YR YOUNGER) AND DRILLED INTO US HE WILL ALWAYS BE MY FRIEND AND BLAH BLAH BLAH I HAVE MAJOR ISSUES ABOUT BEING ALONE. I HATE EVEN WALKING TO MY CAR FROM MY HOUSE BY MYSELF, BUT AM SO CONFIDENT IF I HAVE JUST 1 PERSON WITH ME.

6. jd

While I don’t parent the way she does I respect the way she says it’s not her place to tell others what they should or shouldn’t do, I wish more women had that attitude! Moms should support each other no matter what.

• anonymous

I agree completely! Can you imagine how peaceful this site and others similar would be if all women had that mindset? We don’t all have to agree with the way others choose to parent their children but we should respect that it is everyone’s own decision to make.

I second that! I was almost afraid to read this article and the comments below because I figured the comments would not be kind. It’s nice to see people finally have a “live and let live” attitude!

7. baby wearing mama

She is smart, funny, and I hope her book comes across to many moms to ditch using the baby car bucket seat all the time and try holding your baby. They are only so little once.

what’s a baby car bucket seat?

• Carlotta

Infant carseats that double as a carrier. The kind with the handle that can be locked in a top handle position, so you can carry the baby around without removing him/her from the carseat. It has a base that remains in the car, that you put the carrier in, when you want to drive.

• Viv

Are you saying we should hold our babies in the car? (If ‘carseat’ is what you were trying to say…) That’s going a little too far.

• Carlotta

No. I think she means not using the carseat carrier to carry them around in and perch them on top of a shopping cart, etc., but rather using a sling or wrap or another type of carrier that keeps them closer to you and allows them to have more body contact with you.

8. Danielle

I wouldn’t choose to do everything Mayim does (breastfeeding her 3yr old through the night) but I do like her style and i’d be interested to read her book>

Absolutely. I wouldn’t breastfeed my 3-year old either, but it’s for me to judge if someone else chooses to do it and it works for them.

I would imagine that most people take tiny pieces of all different sorts of parenting techiniques and whip them together into their own “parenting style”.

Variety is the spice of life!

9. Sarah M.

I’ve always loved how she comes across regarding her parenting style. Not condescending in any way, shape or form. Women, from both sides of the fence, should do this more often!

I love her, I breastfeed my oldest till she was 34 months, and I wish I had done it longer. We weren’t on the newborn schedule Mayim speaks about, it was more of a comfort “bedtime” thing. I also co-sleep with my children, when they want. Sometimes my three-year-old daughter chooses to sleep in her own bed. I think when you’re child feels independent s/he will move to her own bed. I also sleep better, the knees in the ribs are ok with me. I love to be able to reach over and feel them breath, just to make sure!