Name: Ryder Russell Robinson
Parents: Kate Hudson & Chris Robinson
Date of Birth: January 7, 2004
Siblings: Cheyenne Robinson, 2 & Bingham Hawn Bellamy, 5 months
- Ryder was born in Los Angeles, Calif.
- He was born two weeks early
- Kate went into the hospital to be induced because of concern over Ryder’s estimated size and labor stalled so he was born by cesarean section
- He weighed 8 lbs and 11 oz at birth
- His maternal grandmother is actress Goldie Hawn
- His maternal grandfather is actor Kurt Russell
- His other maternal grandfather is actor Bill Hudson
- His parents split up with he was 2 years old
- He speaks both English and French
“I was eight months pregnant and every night he ended his show with a song called “Ride”. Ryder would go insane in my stomach every time and it had to be the bass line. It’s kind of a funk song. I made a joke and said, ‘Wouldn’t it be funny if we called him Ride.’ We’re Grateful Dead fans and ‘I Know You Rider’ is one of our favorite songs. I just went, ‘Ryder,’ that sounds great and it feels like him.” – Kate on coming up with her first born’s name.
“I do remember being rolled out of the surgery room right after I had him and I looked up at my Pa and I said, ‘Did you meet Ryder Russell?,’ because it was the first time he heard his name. That was a great moment for me and for him.” – Kate paying homage to her step-father (Pa) Kurt Russell.
“He loves to sing. He loves to dance. You get a guitar on him, and he’s mimicking a real guitar player. Ryder dances to the beat of his own drum already.” – Kate on the musical inclinations of her then 5-year-old son.
“Am I going to look back and say, ‘God, I wish I could have gone to that concert?’ I’d rather be listening to my son sing songs. I’d rather be watching him sleep.” – Kate on giving up her active social life for her son.