Gisele Bündchen Launches Project To Promote Natural Childbirth

Gisele Bündchen Launches Project To Promote Natural Childbirth

Have you ever thought about how babies are born across the globe? Model mom Gisele Bündchen is taking a look at different birthing methodologies used all over the world in an effort to help promote the humanization of birth. The initiative was created by midwife and neonatal nurse Mayra Calvetti, who was present at the birth of Gisele’s 2-year-old son Benjamin.

When Mayra told me her idea about the Birth Around the World Project I thought it was a beautiful idea and knew that it would be really cool if she could share a little bit of this journey on my Blog,” Gisele wrote on her official Web site. “I had the opportunity to experience the natural process of birth and it was one of the most life changing experiences for me and very very special!”

The project seems a perfect fit for the Brazilian beauty. The mom-of-one has openly discussed her drug-free and pain-free home water birth.

“I believe it’s a woman’s right to make the decision about how she’s going to give birth to her child,” Gisele continued. “And it’s also her right to have access to the information she needs so she can make that decision from a place of awareness, and not a place of fear.”

The natural birth advocate said she believes in “sharing information” in order to empower women and normalize the birthing experience.

I believe that sharing information and show different possibilities of birth may help to demystify some questions about natural childbirth that for a long time was the only way of giving birth,” she added. “I hope that I can learn even more about the subject through the experiences of these women around the world and be able to share this with you here on my blog.”

Click here to see the first video on the Birth Around the World Project.

Filed under: Gisele Bundchen

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

1. malia

I hope americans don’t start the “Hate Fest”. Gisele is promoting something amazing,it is going to help so many moms and babies around the world.Mayra´s project is wonderful.It is too bad americans only follow the Kardashian family,but I’m sure that the rest of the world is going to love this amazing journey.

• Jennie

Please do not lump Americans into one category. It is very insulting. I am an American and absolutely loathe the Kardashian family and everything that they stand for. I, also, am in support of Gisele promoting natural childbirth; using her celebrity for something good. I assure you that there are also several other Americans out there that do not fall into your “Americans Are Idiots” category. Thank you~

I’m an American too and I think most of my fellow citizens are idiots.

• Jennie

The point of my statement was that not ALL Americans are idiots. Believe me, I know quite a few idiots in this country. They exist but they exist in all countries and I find statements that point directly at Americans as being the “sole” violators for all comments that are ignorant on this site (and others) is completely insulting.

For advice I will go to my Dr, not this judgmental model who loves herself a wee bit too much. What makes her an expert on anything, oh yeah she had a baby like millions of other women.

well not a doctor but the project on Gisele’s blog comes by way of a mid wife/neo natal nurse. Not good enough for you? Or are you too busy judging to read properly?

Reading does wonders people….

To start off 2012 on the right foot, Gisele’s Blog features a new section that will be particularly pleasing to mothers, and all those interested in health and human development. Working to continually bring novelty to its readers, the Blog has launched an innovative section: Waking Life, as a part of the project Birth Around the World.

The initiative was created by the midwife and neonatal nurse Mayra Calvetti and her husband, the businessman Enrico Ferrari. Since October 2011 they embarked on a special journey. Their goal is to visit 30 countries over nine months and learn about the different birthing methodologies used all over the world in an effort to help promote the humanization of birth. They started by traveling to Europe and have already been in countries where the public health system works and encourages natural childbirth like England, Netherland and Germany.

As the journey takes place, every two weeks the reality of each country will be posted here by Mayra with texts, pictures and videos. The dynamic duo will be filming; photographing, conducting one-on-one interviews, collecting data on births, health system, rates of maternal and neonatal mortality and sharing all they have learned with us.

Mayra was present at the birth of Gisele’s son, Benjamin. She is passionate about births and believes that the excessive use of technology and power may interfere adversely with the natural process of birth, increases risk and may even cause long-term complications for both mother and baby. According to the midwife, there are simple ways to improve maternal and newborn health with effective, cost-friendly, and compassionate care.

She never claimed to be an expert. How do you people get so angry about someone trying to educate women?

No one, including her, ever suggested you look to her for advice. But like it or not, wome women are woefully uneducated about their childbirth choices and however the information gets out there, it needs to get out there. If a high-profile supermodel promotes it, more people get to hear it.

• Anon

WHO ARE YOU to say that women are *woefully uneducated* about their childbirth choices? Where are your stats..did you do a survey? Are you implying THE ENTIRE WORLD OF WOMEN or just USA? Europe? Ethiopia? Women are empowered and strong and educated… and don’t need some dumbass celebrity- OR YOU.. to tell them they have options about HOW AND WHEN AND WHERE THEY GIVE BIRTH! We have been doing it longer than most of “you experts” have been alive. Find a different hobby! Thanks!

3. Paula

Geez, there goes Gisele again. Exactly what can a model and high school dropout offer to the educated public? I mean it takes a lot of brains to strut your stuff on a catwalk now doesn’t it Gisele. Please save American women from such vapid, self-absorbed idiots.

Well she is more educated on natural childbirth that a large proportion of Americans who don’t even give it a go. Good for her.

• Anon

How the hell is she *more educated on natural childbirth* exactly? Did she graduate from Medical School…oh wait…she did not even graduate from HIGH SCHOOL! You want an uneducated model to be your spokesperson…go for it! I hope it all pans out for you!

Wow,I thought my point was obvious!! To know about something you have to have done it which she has and clearly has a good experience to share unlike many Anericans who couldn’t possibly comment on natural childbirth!! And yes I appreciate her experience as someone who had a natural hospital birth and may consider it at home next time!

What is WRONG WITH YOU? Why would her being a model and a “high school dropout” discredit her from being a good person? You should be ashamed of yourself for how incredibly rude and judgmental you are. Your comment is what is vapid and self absorbed.

• nosoupforyou

I agree totally. Yes, I am highly educated. I’ll make my own decisions about giving birth without input from Gisele.

Giselle we realize you know everything about being a mother, why don’t you stick to what you know which is looking pretty?

Read a little better next time. Why don’t you click on Gisele’s blog and see this is her friend/midwife Mayra’s project and Gisele is helping her out by promoting it through her blog. Nothing wrong. Its a good cause that many may find interest in! I am a mother of one and I sure do.

• Janna

Care to point out where she said she knows everything? She’s teaming up with a friend to promote natural childbirth, which is absolutely something she knows about.

Didn’t you hear? When you’re famous, you’re no longer allowed to have an opinion about anything! Someone should tell all the celebrities that support charities that they have to stop too, because what do they know about being poor!

As a matter of fact, one experience doesn’t make you an expert or even qualify you to “know what you are talking about”. I take exception to the word “educate” used in this and other blogs. I believe that “to get educated” implies that you are receiving information from someone who has extensively studied in the field, preferably from a reputable educational institution and thus must know more than you. Gisele, especially, does not qualify. She has what, maybe a high school education? I can assure you that interpreting medical data independently in order to reach an independent conclusion as to what is the best course of action is difficult even for those who have been in the medical field for over a decade. That is why doctors don’t always agree. It does not mean that one doctor is right and the other wrong, it is just that the data is ambiguous. That does not mean that the doctors in the minority are wrong, but in cases where I myself have a difficulty reaching an independent scientific conclusion as to the best course of action, I tend to go with the practice of the majority of physicians as the safest course of action. After all, they know from, at least more experience than Gisele, why they choose and recommend the methods that they do. If we could all get “educated” though wikipedia and blogs, there would be no need for any of us to spend years going through medical education.

I love these model moms advocating more than just panty talk. Gisele,Christy Turlington,Cindy Crawford, they’re great role “models” pun intended.

Mayra Calvetti is the one often seen in paparazzi photos with Gisele. She is not a nanny but Gisele’s midwife/nurse/friend. Well I am sure Gisele trusts her around Benjamin alot when she does need some extra help.

6. Anon

Women all over the world know how to give birth with out the endorsement of women who get paid to look *pretty*..GISELLE! YOU promote anorexia and body issues for young women ALL OVER THE WORLD who will never be six feet tall and 90 pounds. Why not work on getting the WORLD to view women as people instead of objects to hang clothes on..REAL women of the World do not look like you. We do, however, know how to give birth without any advise or words of NON-WISDOM from you! Stick to what YOU know! Strike a pose! You had ONE CHILD>>>but YOU know how it’s done! HA HA HA-

There you go again. For someone who claims to have natural home births, you sure are hostile to anyone attempting to offer information about it.

• M

It’s pretty obvious that you are over weight and bitter about it. There is an EPIDEMIC of obesity in this country. It is not the golden standard for what a “real woman” is. I happen to be built just like Gisele, and there are millions of other women like me, so I’m anorexic? I’m not real? I don’t deserve to have clothes made for my body type? Such a double standard, but it’s okay because I know it’s a cop out for what’s really going on here.

wow ladies, who’s doing the judging now? This is her MIDWIFE – Mayra’s initiative! Gisele is only advocating it through her blog! Reading does wonders people. google “blogdagisele” and find out or why don’t I do it for you.

• Anon

We DON’T NEED a MODEL who slings clothes over her anorexic frame to be an ADVOCATE for normal women all over the world! WE already know how to give birth! I don’t care who she PAYS to pretend to be a midwife… are YOU making a cut or something? Go away! Maybe Giselle and Ricki Lake should get together…. I don’t care what she has to say either!

• Janna

Don’t mind the haters here. Women (and men) need this information and if it takes a supermodel helping to bring information to the masses, then so be it.

Ladies! Take BACK the birthing process, and take back the credit! If you delivered your child vaginally, your doctor did NOT deliver your baby, you did!!!

These kinds of initiatives can give you information that can help make your birth the best it can be and to make women aware that there are CHOICES! If you want an epidural, great. Need a c-section, that’s ok, too. Want to give birth lying down in a hospital bed, that’s your choice. Want to lie in a warm bath, alrighty then! Always wanted to give birth in your own bed, good for you! Whatever makes YOU happy.

• Anon

Do you honestly believe that pregnant women come to this site for advice on their birthing options?? LOL! Give it a rest! Models don’t eat and wear pretty clothes. No one cares what they (especially Giselle) Have to say about childbirth…(especially Giselle..mother of ONE!) She should get the endorsements of Beyonce and Jay-Z and their hostile takeover of the materiality ward in NYC and start a Model/ Celebrity birthing center where she could do it ALL natural…They could fund a wooded birthing area outside with a squatting center. Of course they’d need the fanning of their forehead and ice chips provided by male models who brought the ice chips from the the famous bergs of Antarctica..and then when the pain becomes too much, they let the surrogates finish it for them….

• Janna

Maybe. I believe that people get information from thousands of sources. If information read on this website makes one woman go “Hmmmm, maybe I’ll talk to my health care professional about doing X, Y or Z”, it seems worth it to me. Contrary to what you might believe, not everyone has a great doctor, not everyone even has access to decent medical care. Not everyone has CHOICES.

Why does her being a model negate anything she might say? Do we also discard anything a bus driver might say? Or ignore opinions given by maids or garbage collectors? Why does someone’s profession automatically exclude them from giving an opinion, especially one they’ve taken pains to educate themself about? And if you look around you, there are plenty of people who care about what Mayra Calvetti (and Giselle) have to say about childbirth, or are at least willing to hear what they have to say.

I don’t know what you’re so bitter about, or what any of these people could possibly have ever done to you to make you so vile toward them, but I hope you seek therapy or try meditation. It might do you a world of good.

• Rosy

Did you forget to take your crazy pills this morning Anon?

8. Courtney

Gisele is a vapid idiot who doesn’t realize all moms that want a natural birth can have one because of complications with their pregnancy like toximia gestational diabetes a breech baby multiples ect. in cases like that a Caesarean saves lives why doesn’t this self richeious pig shut her trap

Because neither she, nor anyone else, is talking about people who had **medically necessary intervention**.

Because more than 70% of c-sections are not for medical reasons. These people need to be encouraged to try natural birthing as it’s safer for them and their baby. Gisele will get through to people because she is a celeb so fair enough to her. The world needs more of us to speak out like her.

“Because more than 70% of c-sections are not for medical reasons” – Hmmm…please reveal the scientific source of this information. If this is true, I might consider researching a natural birth. And “it’s something I read on the internet” or “my midwife told me” doesn’t count.

I really respect her, I would love to have the confidence to birth at home. Birth is such an amazing experience and I hope she succeeds in changing the scary, painful image that exists of natural childbirth.

10. Nathaly

People should really read it before judging and promoting hate. It is Mayra’s initiative, Gisele’s friend, who is also a midwife and a neonatal nurse.
    I really appreciate it and I’m sure it will help lots of women. Great work Gisele and Mayra.

11. Audrey

I had my three kids natural due to the era in which they were born. I watched my daughters with their epidurals and I felt great envy. But in the end we all had happy healthy kids – the most important thing.

midwives went through 2 years of education, they can’t operate anything when it comes to life threatening situations, i sued mine after my baby died because of inadequate care during home delivery, and i WON! i will convince every woman that midwives are witch doctors and models are airheads.

Good luck with that.

• Rosy

I’m sorry for your loss. I don’t, however, think that gives you the right to tar all midwifes with the same brush – just because your midwife was incompetent doesn’t mean they all are, I would say your case is a very rare situation indeed.

I am sorry for your loss. Babies and mommies also die during hospital deliveries.

• AK

I don’t know the details of your home birth and I’m very sorry for your loss. It’s hard loosing a child no matter how old they are. I commend your efforts for trying a home birth but please don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. Just because one midwife was inadequate it doesn’t mean they all are.

13. Paula

Both of my children were breech – there was no way I could have a natural childbith had I desired it. Spare us from the likes of Gisele Bundchen – whose only claim to fame is walking half-naked down a run-way and marrying a dumb jock.

No one is talking about medically necessary intervention. No one.

But if your doctor told you that you couldn’t deliver your babies naturally just because they were breach, guess what? There’s nothing inherently dangerous about a breach birth.

• Paula

Wow, you are as ill-informed and uneducated as Gisele. My child was in a transverse position with her shoulder stuck in the birth canal. It took the doctors a very long time to dislodge her and deliver her. Her first apgar score was ’1′ and she was immediately taken to the NICU. I lost a good amount of blood and had to be transfused. And you have the audacity to say there is nothing dangerous about a breach birth? I think you need some education.

The other ‘Anonymous’ responded when you said your baby was breach. You didn’t say the baby was also stuck. That’s not the same thing! Of course no one would suggest that you not have a c-section when your baby is stuck. But your breach birth wasn’t dangerous because it was a breach birth, it was dangerous because the baby was stuck. (BTW — I’m glad you and your baby are good now!)

14. Anonymous9

Thank God she’s done this. Whatever would we do without somebody explaining the proper method to give birth? My guess is that we’d have spent the last million years giving birth anyway, but we must have been doing it wrong.

No matter how you feel about HER personally, how can you criticize someone promoting natural birth? I just don’t understand it. The only idea I can come up with is that some women get defensive about their birth choices when they hear about the benefits of natural birth because they see it as a criticism of themselves. Can we please set that aside and allow other ideas in?

Just like she has opinions on breastfeeding, give me a break. Women have been having babies forever and have their own Dr’s to help them with options. Who the heck needs to go to her midwife’s page to get options? Their own Dr. should give options, I sure know midwives are nice but in emergency situations give me a Dr. anytime.

Using a doctor at a hospital increases your odds of needing a doctor.

• Anonymous9

Simply not true. Responsible midwives refuse to take high risk pregnancies so those mothers all end up having hospital births. This skews the numbers. Low risk pregnancies are no more likely to require serious intervention at a hospital than they are during home births.

• AK

That is not true, there are some intervention happy Dr who just want to get the job done and go home. Once they start intervening it become an intervention after intervention. I’ve had 4 natural births and I had to put my foot down to have them naturally. Birth is a natural process that a woman’s body can do on it’s own. But not all hospitals and Dr’s see it like that. if you look into births that were done in hospitals when they first began bashing midwives they were horrible. Woman were strapped to there beds and given strange hallucinogens. They were left there until the gave birth. When it was advocated that these practice were wrong that is when hospitals became a better place. We need to continue to advocate the natural process of birth (at home, in a hospital, or a birthing center) so that fear will be removed and woman will trust their bodies to do what they were made to do and when it can’t…thank goodness for Doctor.

How did I ever give birth to my kids without access to this website?

I don’t know who the person is posting down this entire page about how stupid this is. And yes, it’s completely obvious that it’s the same person.

Maybe you had a great doctor. Maybe you were given all of your options. Maybe you understood them and made decisions based on them. Guess what? That’s not everyone’s experience. In fact, that’s not the majority of women’s experience.

Why on earth would you hate on someone just trying to spread information to empower and educate women?

19. Cassie

Somebody probably said to Gisele that when people spend any amount of time writing, talking or doing anything else related to her name or actions is a sign of how much important she is in their lives. It’s not hard to imagine why Gisele feels like she is so influential when people stop doing anything just to talk about whatever she says or does.
    I don’t think Gisele is so ignorant like some people like to think she is. The woman is certainly doing something some groups of people want.

I believe only stupid women and mothers would take anything Gisele says or does seriously or to the personal side.
    I worry about each person’s mental state here because is more than clear that people here takes every word that comes out of Gisele’s mouth is the most important thing to write about.

What’s with all the hate? EVERYONE should know what their options for their birth, no matter what choices they make (whether natural, induction, epidural, or c-section). Whats wrong with a mom who felt that she had a wonderful birth experience helping to promote a friend’s work along the same lines? Really people can we get over ourselves?

Gisele, you have done your job. There are lots of comments here debating natural birth and how it should be promoted. Nevermind the minority that think they are better than everybody else. Women only had ONE birth option years ago and got on with it which is where we all need to move back to. There are other countries in the world where women birth with the minimal of medical equipment available and we can learn from them so thank you Gisele for directing all of our attentions to this. Such a shame about the people on here who think that people don’t deserve this information which would otherwise not be available. DRs can only give facts, not share experiences which is more beneficial when preparing to give birth to a child.

22. jacquie109

I think it’s wonderful that she is promoting natural birth, while I didn’t get one myself I tried and I am certainly not offended by someone promoting education.
    All of you against her need to wipe the ice off your mirrors and take a long hard look at the reflection and ask yourselves why you are so offended by someone advocating education and a naturalistic lifestyle. Are you really that pissed off at the world, because the world didn’t put you in your situations, you did!!

The “troll” saying rude things here is some chick who spends every waking hour stalking gisele. She is from the Boston websites and you can clearly tell its “one of those” people by their judging. They hardly seem old enough to even have children, and if they are; well I really hope your resorting to name calling to others is not passed onto your children.

Don’t agree, FINE! Its not life or death. Don’t visit Gisele’s blog! No one is forcing you. Simple as that. Please go see Christy Turlington’s twitter right now, she says/promotes the EXACT same info and maternal health and has been awarded for it! She is “just a model” too…

and agree on the person who said how Gisele MUST be doing something right, if people are taking the time out to read what she says. Well done Gisele! I look forward to hearing more from Mayra.

Its not just Gisele. People are so condescending towards models period. I saw comments on Christy Turlington’s youtube video for “No Woman, No Cry” and they were quite rude, all because she is a model. These women do not have to speak about it but they do and they can reach a wide audience through their fame. Deal with it and stop the hate. They’re doing more good I see than some of you mean people. According to twitter, Gisele is currently in Kenya…

Why do I feel like all of the negative comments are coming from the same person? Nuts I tell ya!

26. SMH

that’s lovely what she’s doing. But I’ll take the drugs anyday!!! :)

I also get the vibe the negative comments are coming from the same person as well. (and by their obvious anger towards Gisele through their words). They more and likely found the link through her twitter is the funny part. They stalk her. Its a give away because as ALWAYS they try to make a negative out of a positive. Bringing up her weight? Are you kidding me? She is seen leaving the gym alot,does not smoke or drink and eat healthy. She also may not be respected by YOU because she’s “just a model” BUT no she’s not just a model actually. She has owned a hotel in Brazil for many years, invests in real estate,has a successful sandals line since 2001 that sell millions each year and more recently her own successful clothing,skin care, and lingerie lines. She does not just sit around and model, please… I think I will take her advice (which she’s not even giving, lol her mid wife is) over some hateful internet troll anyday…

You so-called moms are vicious on this site.

I really hope the vicious ones are NOT moms, lol. They spew too much hatred that I hope a mother shall never possess.

As always with her this is being blown out of proportion, lol. Did any of you judge-rs watch the video? Its not even Gisele, its of her mid wife Mayra and her husband traveling around the world finding out about different birthing practices. LOL. Gisele must be doing something right, she is extremely successful and, well it seems SO many listen to/read what she has to say. Go Gisele!

I understand her point and her intentions. But I hope that she and her midwife also consider the fact tha there are women who cannot give birth naturally. Sometimes it’s not a choice.

I think the reason the whole “natural” childbirth vs. “hospital” childbirth debate becomes so heated is due to the fact that the “natural” group usually begins with the phrase “women need to educate themselves…..”. How can a phrase like that possibly lead to a civilized discussion? Of course women (like myself) who chose to give birth in a hospital (several times with an epidural, I might add) are well aware there are other options and we still chose a hospital birth. So what? The natural birth movement finds that offensive and considers me “uneducated” and “victimized”?. I certainly don’t. Decide what is best for you and your family and move on!

Look, it’s terrific that you had a great birth experience, but not everyone does, and yes, sometimes it’s because we’re not educated.

I was young when I had my daughter, and really didn’t know what to ask or what I should know. I blindly followed every word my doctor said and really felt traumatized by the entire birthing process (ie in a hospital, forced to lie on my back, given an IV that I didn’t want, different doctors walking in to ‘check on me’, shaving my pubic area, etc etc). If I knew then what I knew now, my birth experience would likely have been very different.

That’s all. Just don’t presume that everyone has the education, the options, the support, the direction, the INFORMATION that you had. If you had your options explained, if you educated yourself and received the support and guidance you need, then great! No one is saying that YOU were uneducated or victimized.

• Anon

BRAVO! I think that is what SO many are trying to say …only to be viciously attacked by the Giselle crowd, who think because she is a model..she knows what is best for ALL WOMEN. Get a medical degree, and then MAYBE…we will care what you have to say!

It doesn’t matter if you deliver with an epidural or naturally. You aren’t a “Rockstar” because you endured all the pain of childbirth. I am so tired of hearing about natural childbirth.

Then don’t come on a baby website and read an article about promoting natural childbirth.

Duh.

exactly. or don’t visit her blog? There are some of us who are very interested in what Mayra’s experiences may be. I enjoy seeing different cultures and their practices so please quit ruining the fun for everyone else who DOES want to see more from Mayra via Gisele’s blog. Natural birthing seems a “taboo” subject, only in spoiled rotten America!

wow what a difference between American women and Brazilian women. Brazilians seem so care free,easy going,happy and full of life. If you go to Brazil it feels like you’re in one big party. Everyone dances,sings,smiling. America is totally the opposite side of the spectrum. You’ll catch the bird, more than you will a simple smile.

The project is called: “Birth Around the World” Project. Her friend/mid-wife/nurse Mayra is going around the world talking with other cultures about their practices!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where is the problem? Oh yeah that’s right, Gisele stalkers (more and likely not even mothers; doing what they do best; spewing hatred). Bravo ladies Bravo! you’re changing the world for the worse) one step at a time. Give yourself a pat on the back.

34. Izzy

I completely support the idea of doing a documentary about how the things are done in different places in the planet.
    I support natural childbirth and it’s all different methods when there are no risks.
    I hate the vibe against medicine. Women need medical intervention and assistance not just for their own good but also for the newborn babies.
    I’m fine with who does a natural birth under the effect of painkillers, why not?

C-Section should be only done when the circumstances demand it. Unfortunately it’s not what’s happening, the numbers of C-Sections without reasonable reasons are overwhelming. Many female celebrities are doing the wrong thing by promoting a programmed C-section when they’re perfectly capable to deal with a natural childbirth.

Education and information when the are correct are the most wonderful things. Women should do their choices based on their health and thinking about their unborn.

First…im male so I have no idea wat women actually go thru…however from wat my mother told me its hell for natural birthing….she also had a horrid experience in the hospital AND she had my grandmother who was experienced w two children…..I do believe in natural birth simply cuz that’s how women have been doing it for eons before the hospital started to come in. Yes the hospital increased survival rating…so has the fact that society has grown to learn new things about cleanliness and such…this documentary is great….c-sections r good for emergency situations….I kinda feel that many woman do c-section cuz they don’t want to deal w the labor pains and birthing process or damaging their body or something like that…its a selfish reason or do to a fear of something bad occurring…..that’s y there r doctors…doing home birth is great too if u can find a doctor who can b present in case of an emergency….agin I really don’t know anything from the womans perspective but I do promote natural birth….its a beautiful thing and id b glad to support my wife..when I get one…thru the process…..I would try to tlk her into natural..but it is her decision so id support her n that as well…..

Ah, nothing like being lectured by an uneducated bimbo model. Yes, we should definitely take her advice, because clearly, in her infinite wisdom, she must know all there is to know about medicine and the “right” way to give birth. By all means, let us take the advice of someone who just follows popular fads (the newest fad being that everything needs to be organic and “natural”, she doesn’t even know what it means) without truly understanding what the risks are, or why some women may have no option but to deliver their babies with help. Modern society has completely forgotten that complications during birth are actually common and that throughout history women and babies very often died in childbirth (not as much today, thanks to MEDICINE). Giving birth (even only 100 years ago) used to be one of the riskiest things a woman would have to undertake. BTW, does Gisele even have a high school degree, why are we even listening to her?

• Cass

I think Gisele is wrong in some of her “educational” adventures but it’s not her responsibility if people who read the stuff written in sites are not capable to do their own research including talking to doctors. Gisele is just putting out there what people she knows talk about, it’s responsibility of the people who read stop being lazy and do something.

Looks like your superior intelligence, knowledge and high school degree didn’t teach you to read!
      If you were really more mentally capable than Gisele you would know that Gisele is just promoting the work of a friend!

Well, you are not helping matters. I think the internet is one of the worst things that could have happened to medical and science professionals because there is so much erroneous information out there. Basically if you search the internet you can find any number of sites that will “scientifically” support your particular view. Doing independent research that way can be particularly confusing and you can’t expect people who are not trained to make the “right” choices. Do a little experiment. Which information you find is quite dependent on how you search for it. Humans can help it, we automatically search the internet based on a preconceived bias.

Wow. Some of these posts are really cruel. If she was using her status to endorse cancer or AIDS, no one would have anything to say. If this is what she is passionate about, who cares? Why is everyone getting so wrapped up in the fact that she’s a model? That doesn’t mean she’s an idiot or she doesn’t feel. I believe that some of you out there need a serious self-esteem check. Women are supposed to come together and support one another…not tear each other down. What ever happened to sisterhood? Thank you God for the wonderful women in my life!