Mayor Bloomberg & Solange Knowles Weigh In On Beyoncé Birth Controversy

Mayor Bloomberg & Solange Knowles Weigh In On Beyoncé Birth Controversy

New York City’s Lenox Hospital is quickly becoming famous as the birthplace of baby Blue Ivy Carter. As congratulations have poured in for proud parents Beyoncé and Jay-Z, there’s also been criticism over the past few days over the A-list treatment the stars reportedly received at Lenox.

Other parents at the hospital over the weekend have complained that the famous couple’s intense security detail – they reportedly paid to have the entire floor on lockdown – made it difficult for them to see their own new babies. With hospital administrators vowing to look into the matter, NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg has now waded into the controversy as well.

Asked about Beyonce’s star treatment at a press conference yesterday, the mayor had this to say: “If [the hospital] got paid a lot of money and it let them provide services to other people who don’t have insurance or can’t afford it, I’m not so sure that’s a bad thing. Full paying patients are very valuable to hospitals in this day and age.”

Meanwhile, Beyonce’s sister – and proud new aunt – Solange Knowles took to Twitter to fire back at critics, writing, “It has really gotten out of hand. I’ve been doing my best at keeping my mouth shut….but the ignorance is really sad and upsetting. We are supposed to be super human and watch people we love get slandered, lied on, and ridiculed. It is one of THE hardest things to accept. In any other workplace…if someone directly tells your mother or sister is a liar and a fake ect…you would naturally express yourself. However, the pure happiness and joy I’ve witnessed and experienced helps me to keep my mouth shut.”

Filed under: Beyonce,Solange Knowles

Photo credit: Flynet

1. NYC Mommy

I think Bloomberg should stick to trying to run the city. Also, I highly doubt hospital is going to use that “big money” to treat people without insurance. I would need to see some documented proof to believe that garbage. I guess it is true rich people stick together.

Right on, NYC Mommy!!! It’s a little insulting that he would think his electorate would fall for such nonsense. Do me a favour and don’t vote for him next time, okay?

Yes do us a favor and keep your mouth shut, I believe the Mom who gave the interview, Beyonce and Jay Z are a bunch of prima donna’s who act like they are the only people to have a baby before.

3. LaKesha

Have you met them?

If their “care” (occupying a whole floor + intense security) took away from other patients, then Beyonce/Lenox Hill should be ASHAMED OF themselves. A hospital is not a hotel. I understand getting a private suite (NYC hosptials have those for VIPs), extra private nurses/lactation consultants etc. But, not inconviencing other new Moms and babies, or making it hard to retrieve the babies from the nursery!!!

Their bills probably did NOT pay for uninsured maternity/baby patients–becaues ALL pregnant women in NYC, regardless of anything, qualify for Medicaid during pregnancy/delivery. Doubt these extra thousands of dollars paid for any other uninsured patient.

The gluttony disgusts me. Wonder if she will donate all the baby gifts??? Nah.

5. Tracy

If they did in fact “rent” out the hospital floor, that is absolutely ridiculous. If she wanted privacy, pay for a private room, or have the baby at home. Just because you’re a “celebrity” gives you no right to inconvenience other parents/babies. Get over yourself.

i think the hospital should be blamed for allowing it as an option, as for Beyoncé and Jay-Z it’s up to them to decide how to spend their money.

7. SMH

My nephews were micro preemies and we were in and out of the hospital everyday for 3 straight months and you better believe that if someone tried to keep us from them we would be raising hell about it!
    I highly doubt the large sum allegedly paid would go to any patients who actually need it. Believe it or not doctors and nurses don’t always have the patients best interest first.

• anonymous

So if they did pay extra money you think it was cash that went into doctors and nurses pockets? lol. I’m sure if this story is true it went to administrators. You guess really have no grasp on reality.

Why doctors and nurses?? As far as I know, the people in charge of an hospital are not doctors or nurses, but managers of some kind.

8. anonymous

She should of had her baby at home if she needed that much privacy and security.

9. CookiesMilk&Makeup

I don’t remember it being it being such a big production with Brad and Angie’s biological children’s birth. Maybe next time they should look into other options, that way no one gets upset. They can have the baby aboard and get the privacy they want or have an at home birth, or go to a birth center, or build their own hospital. No one’s new born is more important than anyone else’s and if this story is at all true my heart feels for those new moms and dads that felt slighted with her security.

The Mayor doesn’t seem to deny or admit this as true.

Solange, part of the problem is the “super human” attention that was given to your sister and brother in law while others felt they were treated less than human. In the real work place you cannot “naturally express” yourself without getting fired or reprimanded for the “natural expression”. Maybe you should do as you said and not comment, although we are all entitled to our opinions, but with you the more you comment the likely you are to let info slip surrounding the “birth” of your niece. You have not kept your mouth shut because you did comment.

I don’t think any person has anything against the innocent baby, Blue, but her parents over the top labor and delivery was, uhm dare I say it, “super human”. Just because they have the means ($) does equate to disruption amongst others in the same boat.

Brangelina shut down a whole country -Namibia when they had their first child there and even controlled who got in and out of the country. They claimed to be giving the country publicity for tourism. Last I checked it was still thrid world. They are worse than Beyonce. They upset and annoyed a whole town in France when they were having those twins. Believe me, this is nothing. It is just that now they are old news and no one cares about them that much any more.

10. jacquie109

I’m pretty sure it would be illegal to restrict access to a hospital, now I’m not “standing up” for these people because I don’t know them personally, BUT, I think the possibility of being sued for millions of dollars would probably override the hospitals wishes for a couple extra hundred thousand. Hospitals are for public use and yes I’m sure there was extra security because of all the hype surrounding this baby but I seriously doubt that it restricted access to medically neccesary areas of the hospital. Also IF they did pay that much money to the hospital I’m quite certain it would go to bettering the hospital, they certainly wouldn’t split the money amoungst themselves. The banter is getting ridiculous, there is a difference between having an opinion and slander. People are either pissed off because they don’t know whats going on so these stars are “faking it”, but if they do share they are money “hungry”? Which is it?

I think that closing off an entire floor (if that is true) is already compromising other patients’ access to health care.

12. WTF

This is ridiculous. And by ‘this’ I mean everyone’s reaction to this birth.
    Who is the source for the story that they paid $1 million to have a wing rented out and denied access to people?
    Because so far, the two groups most likely to know the truth, Beyonce’s team and the HOSPITAL have said it isn’t true.
    I’m all for celebrity bashing, but I think they do enough stupid stuff that we don’t need to be making up stuff.

Maybe they made such a hoopla to make people believe she actually gave birth. Surely they couldve afforded something more private but in order to ease the attention off the surrogate and the baby’s actual birthdate ( which i think was the 4th) they ‘had’ to make a scene. If you read more into the birth announcement it is never stated thatshe actually gave birth. Conspiracy!

14. Sujinah

It is so ridiculous. There are many other options available if she really wanted that much privacy. An entire floor ?! This is just too much.

Hate to break it to everyone here…but that’s exactly what money buys you – access to things that people without money can’t have (in this case more privacy). It’s common sense and the way the world works.

Part of me understands all the security though….the paparazzi are desperate to get “that” picture….that has to be a huge concern for celebrities when they are at there most vulnerable….during childbirth!

I don’t believe that Beyonce faked her pregnancy, nor do I believe the abundance of strange rumors that are emerging from this whole baby situation;The Illuminati, Beyonce and Jay-Z having an entire maternity ward shut down for $1.3 million, the “true” meaning behind little Blue Ivy’s name, etc. Honestly, I think some people are making this a bigger deal than it has to be, and are letting their over active imaginations get the best of them.

Lenox Hill Hospital even released a statement denying those rumors that Bee and Jay had the maternity ward shut down for $1.3 million.

But for some strange reason people proceed to ignore the facts, and continue to believe these annoying ass gossip websites, and all these other false tabloids.

and yu anon, how wud u knw tht wat the hosp and the couple said is indeed a fact. Anyone can lie to cover their trax. Even Queen Bey herself. #gullible