Nick Cannon Explains Kidney Failure Health Scare

Nick Cannon Explains Kidney Failure Health Scare

Drumline actor Nick Cannon made headlines over the Christmas holidays when his wife Mariah Carey tweeted a pic of herself lying in a hospital bed with her recovering hubby stating, “Please pray for Nick as he’s fighting to recover from a mild kidney failure. #mybraveman.”

So what really happened?

It turns out that the America’s Got Talent host spent a hectic Christmas in Aspen, Colorado where his 8-month-old twins Moroccan and Monroe as well as his wife came down with colds. As a result, Nick stepped up to the plate and took care of his ailing family.

“I was trying to be Superman and I hadn’t slept for maybe four days because I was taking care of the kids,” he comments. “Two days before New Year’s, I started to feel this horrible pain in my back.”

When Mariah discovered her husband lying on the floor in excruciating pain, she called the doctor and he was admitted for testing.

The doctor’s initial diagnosis was first possible kidney stones and then they thought it could be an actual kidney infection. However, further testing revealed that it was something more severe.

“They did some more tests … and — it took a day or two — and they were like, ‘We think it’s a little more serious than a kidney infection. We’re going to keep you in the hospital. You need to stay here.’”

Several days later, the doctors delivered the reasoning behind Nick’s pain.

“They came and told me that my kidneys aren’t functioning. Not just one — not the one that was in pain — both both of them weren’t functioning right,” he said, later explaining what happened. “My immune system started to attack my kidneys … And my kidneys pretty much failed.”

He was transferred to a local Los Angeles, Calif. hospital and once his condition improved he was sent him home. However, he ended up heading back to the hospital after his kidney pain returned.

Since then, Nick has fully recovered and says he is appreciating life with his family.

“I’ve got to go back [to the doctor] a couple more times,” he says. “But I’m fine. I’m totally recovered.”

We are very happy to hear Nick is healthy once again!

Filed under: Celebrity Dads,Nick Cannon

Photo credit: FameFlynet

1. Courtney

He didn’t owe the public an explaination of it somethings are better left private. and what he did for Mariah and the babies when they were sick is what any loving husband/father would do for his spouse and children when then aren’t feeling well. when a child is sick they want their parents not a nanny to take care of them

what a weird story! since when are you in kidney failure, just by taking care off your family and not sleeping for a while. Then I should be dead by know!….

What a weird story. Who in hell has kidney failure, just by taking care off family and not sleeping well for a few days???? Then I should be dead by now!!

Is that really how kidney failure works? I didn’t think a person could quickly recover from it.

you cant just quickly recover from it, i am a hemodialysis nurse and i deal with this on a daily basis..sure you can start to feel better with treatment from the signs and symptoms but once your kidneys actually “fail” there is no totally recovering unless you have received a transplant. Not to sound blunt about the situation but usually its dialysis or eventually die because your body has no way to filter out the toxins that build up in your bloodstream that you would normal excrete when u pee..u become uremic! statistics show that Chronic kidney failure which leads to end stage renal disease is linked primarily with hypertension and diabetes and is most common among black males.

5. Courtney

@Anonymous he had underlying undiagnosed kidney disease which is more common in people of african american decent plus he caught the cold Mariah & the Twins had and was taking over the counter cold medicine for it and working out without eating/sleeping correctly. he still has to have a couple of more procedures and be checked every few months for his creatin levels at least he doesn’t have to be on dialysis.

Just drink plenty of unsweetened cranberry juice and dandelion root tea and nettle leaf tea. also have regular checkups and have your doctor request a anabolic panel test to test your protein and creatine levels because those will tell you if your kidneys are functioning properly.. I know I have been there . High creatine levels will cause kidney failure in a heart beat .

7. Hemodialysis nurse

actually your bun (blood urea nitrogen), creatinine levels, electrolytes (metabolic panel), glomerular filtration rate and albumin levels play a part in determining if you are in renal failure

8. Keylon

Hot damn, looikng pretty useful buddy.

9. Keisha

What a great resuroce this text is.

10. kidney transplant patient

When my kidney’s first started to fail last summer the doctors originally thought that I had a virus that had attacked my kidneys and caused them to temporarily shut down.