Pregnant Elsa Pataky’s Slide: Harmless Fun Or Harmful For The Baby?

Pregnant Elsa Pataky's Slide: Harmless Fun Or Harmful For The Baby?

On the day their pregnancy news was announced, Thor star Chris Hemsworth, 28, and Elsa Pataky, 35, were seen in sunny St. Barts, France alongside Matt Damon and wife Luciana on Wednesday (January 18). The group were spotted riding an inflatable slide off a yacht, which generated a few comments from our readers.

“Why is she sliding down that steep slide? Surely that’s not safe for a pregnant woman?!,” one Celebrity Baby Scoop reader wrote.

What do you think? Harmless fun or too harmful for the baby?

Filed under: Elsa Pataky

Photo credit: FameFlynet

It’s a water slide, right? Therefore no risk of impact.

• Pippa

You need to see the other picture of how dang tall this slide was. It was HUGE and very steep. Click on the link above that says “Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky: St Barths with Matt Damon and wife.” Its HUGE, off the side of a large yacht. I think its fine if she wants to do it, but I personally wouldn’t just in case something were to go wrong and I landed flat on my stomach.

And it’s INFLATABLE!

No impact?! You need to look at the picture of Matt D hitting the water or the full picture of the slide!!

2. Anna

Completely harmless if you ask me

I read on another site that people thought this was dangerous because water could get inside her.. I don’t think that’s the issue; that’s only an issue after your water breaks and baby is exposed to outside fluids (thus why they say not to take a bath when your water breaks.) I personally wouldn’t do anything like this at any point in my pregnancy. However, your placenta is there to protect the baby. I don’t agree with her actions but it’s really her choice and her business. I would not have gone down the slide pregnant.

4. jacquie109

While I know nothing about this woman or her pregnancy I had two pretty serious things happen to me when I was pregnant with my daughter and there was nothing wrong with her. I flipped a quad when I was 4 months pregnant and fell down four stairs on the ice when I was 8 months pregnant. They are pretty safe and sound inside as long as there is no straight serious trauma to the belly, and it has to be really serious.

• Annica

Oh geez, more comments of ‘this happened to me and my baby was fine’. I am glad that your baby was alright but that does not mean that there were countless other women that were not as fortunate. Her body and her risk but there clearly was a big impact at the end of the slide and why would you want to take that risk? I know a few women that lost their babies in the early months because they fell on their hip (when walking) and it jutted the placenta out of place.

Chances are it is harmless, but why risk it? Is it really that important to slide down a water slide? Would it be the worst thing ever to have to just watch others slide down? I’d rather skip the slide and play it safe. Better safe than sorry.

LOL Jacquie are you on Babycenter? I feel like I’ve read that before..

Ridiculous. I swear some people want pregnant women to never leave the house while they still have the baby inside them. Hate to break it to you, but women’s bodies are designed to keep a baby safe. It takes something pretty damn huge to actually do harm and a water slide ain’t enough.

8. NYC Mommy

I am think it would be harmless but since she is 35 years old and already a high risk pregnancy due to age it might have been better to skip it this time.

9. Anonymous9

Harmless fun. The baby is perfectly fine and protected. It’s not demolition derby, it’s a water slide.

Iwould think her being up in age wasmore risky, 35 and up is considerend high risk in the medical community. and whats with 40 plus women having babies???

Most likely harmless but not something I would do. The baby is safe in there and while it’s unlikely that water can get up inside her, it CAN happen with a big impact. It doesn’t get in there in the bath or a pool or whatnot, but with force, it can. But she’d have to land like ON her crotch. Any impact is not something I’d risk while pregnant. A waterslide would not be worth having a miscarriage over, just in case. But, to each their own.

12. chump

I am 100% positive she would have asked her doctor. It’s her first baby she’s not stupid just like every other pregnant person out there. They would ask their doctor.

• NYC Mommy

Chump-What makes you 100% positive she would have asked the doctor ?did she know in advance she was going on a waterslide? probably not… Also, I asked doc alot of quesitons when I had my first kid but none of them were regarding riding a water slide.

• NYC Mommy

No doctor would risk saying yes to this as it is in fact a risk! If in doubt a dr would def have said no! Too much of a sue culture.

Its the impact at the bottom. Look back at original link and there is a pic of Matt Damon in all shapes as he hits water. There’s no way she would just plop off the end gently. That’s where the danger is.

I think the “high risk” in “advanced maternal age” (35 and older) is more about genetic risk, which would not be impacted by the slide.

Not sure, but it seems like amniotic fluid is designed to protect the fetus with that kind of movement.

According to the March of Dimes, moms who are 35 and older are also at increased risk of pregnancy complications – gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, placenta previa, etc – over younger women. It’s not just birth defects.

• Shirilicious

True, but neither of the complications you listed will be impacted by going down a water slide. You either have a low lying placenta or not, you have high blood pressure or not, etc.

I myself wonder if the impact is dangerous. I took my two young children to a waterpark in my first trimester with my third pregnancy. I went down a very tall, very steep waterslide and the impact was way more than I anticipated and I immediately regretted doing it. I miscarried at 17 wks and I couldnt help but wonder if that had any effect. Maybe it didnt but now I would say why in the world risk it?

When I saw the photo of this slide, which was HUGE, I immediately thought whether it was smart to do it while pregnant. IMHO, not..

I’m not sure how I’d feel about a hard surfaced water slide, but in my opinion since this is an inflatable slide, I see nothing harmful about it. And I did see how tall it was. I’m also 22 and have never been pregnant. So I can’t say much. But no, I don’t think this is dangerous.

Are you serious ‘water could get inside her’ ????? Wow!!! The uterus is sealed by a plug of mucus ….the mucus plus is not easily dislodged and even if you loose in in a ‘show’ at the end of pregnancy it absolutely does not mean labour is imminent, labour can follow in a few hours or a few weeks! Like someone above said, the baby is extremely well protected. The mother could be very injured but bany still survive. The body knows to protect the baby! Those ego believe water can get inside her need to read a biology book!!!

That’s pretty reckless if I can say so … And I imagine it’s scary for the baby inside her.

Maybe I enjoyed being really peaceful during my pregnancy … But I couldn’t even handle a bumpy car ride. Lol.

Having said that, I don’t know her, but I hope she wouldn’t do anything to put her unborn baby in danger.

20. Carlotta

I’ve always seen warning signs on water slides at water parks & other places that state pregnant women should not ride them.

The risk is most likely pretty low but if i were pregnant i wouldnt risk it.

This is the same as mother’s eating soft serve ice cream, soft cheese and deli meats, chances are nothing will happen to you but all you need is ONE bite to have bacteria in it, or in this case one slip on the slide and something can happen that can kill your baby.

I mean realistically even if Matt Damon went down the slide at the wrong angle, hit his head in the wrong spot, get a little bit too much water in his lung anything could happen on the slide. There is always risk in everything anyone ever does we just have to weigh up the risk and see what is worth it.

If Elsa believes its worth the risk then so be it.

22. nicoleC

they should not take a risk

A. Anybody remember that thereis a sac around the baby even if the water gets inside her uterus wich is very unlikely as the water would have to get in with great force to get in with all the lengt of vagina, narrowness of cervical canal and mucus plug. The water would’t rapture sac if the pregnancy is normal.

B. Baby is inside her in water filled sac and both those protect it from most forces. Only if she would hurt herself badly enough to need doctors help.

There are always some sircumstances this might have effect. And in your” sue happy” country places and medical personel need tocover their bases in case of litigation.

24. Jenn

I saw pics on another site & Chris is going ass over tea kettle at the end of the slide & he’s 6′ 3″ a pretty big guy,I’m her age & I won’t take the chance ,better safe than sorry.

25. tasha

So im 13 weeks pregnant and I want to take my 3 children to water…honestly I’m excited myself…its a community water park and I dnt knw if I should get on anyslides…what do u think?