Heidi Klum & Seal: “We Have Decided To Separate”

Heidi Klum & Seal: "We Have Decided To Separate"

Heidi Klum and Seal have confirmed they are separating after almost seven years of marriage, PEOPLE reports.

While we have enjoyed seven very loving, loyal and happy years of marriage, after much soul-searching we have decided to separate,” the couple said in a statement. “We have had the deepest respect for one another throughout our relationship and continue to love each other very much, but we have grown apart. This is an amicable process and protecting the well-being of our children remains our top priority, especially during this time of transition.”

The German supermodel, 38, and the Grammy-Award winning singer, 48, continued: “We thank our family, friends, and fans for their kind words of support. And for our children’s sake, we appreciate you respecting our privacy.”

What went wrong? The seemingly perfect couple started dating when Heidi was expecting a child with her ex-boyfriend, Flavio Briatore.

Seal stated that he accepted Leni as his own from the very beginning: “A month into our relationship, she told me she was pregnant, but was no longer with the father. I told her it didn’t change the way I felt about her. Apart from being my wife, she’s also my best friend.”

In late 2009, Seal adopted Leni. “It’s [the adoption] only happened fairly recently. But it doesn’t make her any more or less my daughter. She always has been,” Seal said. “All it means is that both Heidi and I wanted her to have the same last name as the rest of us. It was about Leni. I don’t want her to feel different because I know what that’s like, being a kind of stepson. And I don’t want that dynamic for my little girl.”

Heidi has done her fair share of gushing about her “hot and sexy” hubby, whom she has four children with: Leni, 7, Henry, 6, Johan, 5, and Lou, 2.

I believe you have to marry someone that you think is really hot and sexy,” Heidi told Celebrity Baby Scoop. “The other night we met out for dinner and arrived in separate cars. I was waiting for him and when he finally walked in, I was like, ‘that’s my man!!!’ I still get butterflies! I also think we work on being hot for each other; exercising and eating right. I want to look good for him. I think it’s really important.”

Heidi went on to talk about the importance of stealing time away for each other. “We love our kids but we love each other too so we run off and do grown up things- talk about grown up things,” Heidi said. “You can’t just talk about missing teeth or poop all the time! We talk about vacations and what’s troubling each other- you have to do those things. You have to steal time away together.”

Seal has also opened up about their annual wedding vow renewal.

Each year, Heidi and I get remarried,” Seal said. “It’s a great party, but for about an hour, we go off on our own down to a private beach. We sit there with the kids and read vows to each other as the sun sets. It’s a very special moment to us.”

Our thoughts go out to the Klum-Samuel family!

Filed under: Heidi Klum,Seal

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

1. Jo

wow – kind of shocked – thought their marriage was stronger than most

2. AJ

Wow, I was really hoping it wasn’t true. Growing apart is a very frustrating and common issue for couples, especially ones with children, and I wish them all the best. That quote from Seal about adopting Leni makes me absolutely melt, they really are such a lovely family.

3. Lizzig

this split is very unexpected. I hadn’t heard any rumours about either having affairs etc. It just sounds like they decided that 7 years together was enough and its time to move on. How about undertaking couples counselling before splitting up, what looked like a perfect family. Otherwise dont lie and tell us that you still care about each other etc. Many marriages go through hard times, husband and wife become friends instead of lovers yet still stay together forever. I just dont get it???? Please explain? lol

• Anonymous9

It’s only unexpected to you because you are not them. They knew their marriage was falling apart and simply decided not to share that with the Lizzig’s of the world. Perhaps they thought you weren’t emotionally stable enough to handle the news.

shocked and sad :(

5. Tiffany

Very Sad….

6. melo1983

Wow, very very shocking to me.

That is why, one should not model their life after these celebrities or envy what they have. The have problems like all of us and the media just tries to make them seem like they are beyond human circumstances. I feel bad for the kids. They are still young and it is so disruptive for them but then again, best to move on if it ain’t working. Because in the long run, it causes more damage to the kids emotional welfare when two adults who can’t seem to work it out, stay together for the sake of the kids.

8. Kay

I’m actually pretty surprised by this Hollywood breakup. They seemed really passionate and in love (perhaps best evidenced by their growing family). Their public statement, if true, is also odd: all marriages have their ups and downs, why can’t couples bother to honor their vows and try to work things out?? I suspect there is something more to the story….infidelity maybe?

9. Stacey

OMG They can’t separate they are the most beautiful couple in Hollyweird..
    Go to counseling for years those babies need to grow up with both parents do it for those 4 beautiful babies..
    You both are very smart in the end it will be worth it, I just love this couple and I will always pull for them..
    VERY SAD to here this..

10. Estella

OMG I m so chocked. I can’t beleive it. I always thought they would spend the rest of their lives together. really hard to believe :(

11. Aurora

Bad news. I’m thinking about Heidi’s tattoo. :( how is she going to do now ???

12. PRH

How very sad for their children.

13. Elizabeth

Something major happened. “Grown apart” I don’t buy. This is very sad.

Sarah and Freddie, you are our only hope.

14. Julita

Nooooooooooooooooooo, not them…… :(((

15. Ellis

= ( … really sad … they’ve been my dream couple for years…

16. Hannah.J

Sad to hear that, but if they no longer love each other it’s no point staying together.

17. Lucyd

Wow I am really surprised at this one what a shame they seemed like the ‘perfect’ family although I suppose you never know what is going on behind the scene or is just divorce an easy way out? I mean yeah everyone has their moments when things don’t seem great and the grass always seems greener on the other side and things get especially hard with kids but does no celebrity work through these times I mean if they really loved each other you’d make it work and not just for the sake of the kids, it just seems marriage is taken very lightly these days, shame.

18. Anna

I’m in shock! Sad for the children, hope they can remain good parents to them.

well that didn’t even last 10 years…

20. Cassie

By checking out other sites thousands of people were surprised and shocked by this announcement.

I am one of the countless people who were not. Famous couples divorce all the time and I am pretty sure the couples of today will separate soon.

What every couple has in common is the necessity of showing off all the time how much they love each other through every kind of demonstraton available. Then suddenly they can’t stand to stay together anymore. What they try to show are all lies since the beginning. Publicity is what make people stick together.

21. joy tasie from nigeria

Do you Celebraties have Convanat with the god of divorce it seems to be a fads in hollywood

I suspect so much more to this story, either infidelity or maybe something physical. Seal is often seen blowing up and there is footage of him yelling at her in front of the paps a few times. These people don’t have better lives than us regular people, they just have better cars and houses .

I guess you never know! I always looked up to them as a couple. They always seemed so happy and in love. I feel very sorry for the 4 children involved:(

Not surprised, it’s always the couples who brag about their wonderful relationships and who show masssive amounts of affection in public that end up getting divorced. It’s like they are trying to convince themselves that they’re happy. Just think of all the really long lasting marriages in Hollywood. Can’t think of any? That’s because the couples that are genuinly happy don’t feel the need to advertise it.

• lola

I agree with you 100%. Heidi is very good with the whole publicity think. she can cover up a pile of shit with sweet talking.

• Cassie

Amazing post. Yours should be replayed everytime a divorce happens.

You know what they say… If it looks too good to be true, it usually is. Never bought into the “perfect couple” image that was portrayed here – people in the public eye are very good at manipulating situations (especially if it means boosting their career).

25. Janna

Nooooooo!! This is so sad. They always projected such togetherness, you know?

it’s just stupid to say celebrities never try to work on their marriages. divorce rates are high everywhere, also non-celebrities get divorced all the time

• Cass

Yes, that’s right.

It’s a pity people do not think before marrying. People think just because they’re happy today this happiness will last forever.
      It’s ridiculous and extremely stupid to not think about the future.

27. SMH

I wish couples with children would try to work it out more. Who knows maybe they have but it just seems like people in hollywood give up too easily. Marriage is work sometimes the hardest job besides being a parent. But I wisht them the best. I really liked them together too :(

28. JLM

what?? even after he adopted Leni? so sad!

29. pippa

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! WHY????? WHY??? WHY????? :(((

30. Audrey

That darn seven year itch!!

31. Julianne

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatss?
    I never thought i’d read this
    that’s so sad /:

I am totally shocked and actually hurt by this. I was actually stupid enough to believe in these two.

I don’t want to read about any celebrities now. I’m done.

You might want to get a life.

It is ok to feel what you feel. It is ok to admire and care about people you don’t know. We get inspired by all sorts of things in this life. We get hope and ambition from people we don’t know. We also take that magic and pass it on to others around us. But, like someone else said – their lives aren’t better than ours, they just have better houses and cars. They are human and face the same problems that we do.

33. Danielle

Another couple who sprout out tons of children, brag about how great they’re lives are and then as soon as it gets difficult they run a mile.
    My bets are on Brooke Burke and David Charvet next.

34. Jen

I hate this! They seemed like they had such a strong marriage and were such a cohesive family unit. It’s sad :( Just goes to show, you never can really tell. On a side note, I LOVE her dress in this picture!!

35. Elizabeth

Gwyneth and Chris are next.

sarah and freddie are next

37. Sophia

What sad news :( Although if any two people could smoothly and tactfully handle a seperation with small children involved, I’m sure it would be Heidi and Seal. I genuinely thought they’d be together all their lives though.