Denise Richards’ Rules For Extracurricular Activities

Denise Richards' Rules For Extracurricular Activities

There are lots of benefits to having your child involved in extracurricular activities, but for Denise Richards, there are rules when it comes to deciding on activities for daughters Sam, 7, Lola, 6, and eventually, baby Eloise.

“At all times my girls must be involved in two activities — one physical and one creative,” Richards writes in her blog. “Once they choose their activities, they have to stick with them until the end of the season or session they signed up for. If they decide they don’t like them after that, they can choose another for the next time.”

Currently, Sam is enrolled in soccer and chorus and Lola is doing chorus and ballet.

To enforce the “Two Activities Rule” in your own home, Richards suggests presenting a list of physical (basketball, dance, or karate) and creative (music lessons, Girl Scouts/Boy Scouts, or ceramics) activities to your children and letting them choose one of each.

“If money is an issue, there are always lots of inexpensive ways to get your kids involved through school or local community centers,” Denise advises.

Tell us…. What do you think of Denise Richards’ Two Activities Rule?

Filed under: Celebrity Moms,Denise Richards

Photo credit: FameFlynet

1. Anon

Oh give me A BREAK! My son was absolutely miserable playing soccer and too young to know he made the wrong choice! Forcing him to play anyway is the right choice? How could he know if it is the right sport for him if he never played the sport on a team before? Gotta love these know- it -all- no -formal education celebrities!

2. Anon

If only she used her good sense when choosing partners.

I do the same with my daughter – it’s not about teaching them they made a “wrong” choice – it’s about sticking things out even when it’s not their favorite thing to do. It’s about making a commitment and following it through. My daughter chose karate @ 6 years old and HATED IT – but she stuck to it and finished the session. My child does NOT have to be perfect and succeed at everything she does, but she will not know quitting as her 1st, 2nd or even 3rd option.

Now she is 13 and playing softball and also plays piano. There are days where she feels her coach is being extra hard on her, or she feels she just CAN’T learn a new piece – but she sees it through and always ends up finishing what she started. It’s a valuable lesson that will help her in the future.

That’s a great way of handling it. Quitters never win. The children know they won’t have to take it the next year so right there that could give them motivation to finish it out. And some activities I think they hate at the beginning but eventually get better at them, and actually like them in the end.

I do the same with my kids as well. The reason being that my parents never really made me stick with anything and I think it would have been beneficial if I had.

I think it’s good she makes them stick at it for a bit. When I was young I gave up ballet, then ice-skating, then horse-riding, then soccer, and my mom let me. Now I’m 23 and regret that I don’t have any skills. x

8. star

I think is a really good idea. because it teach the kids to finish what they decided to start. Good job Denise for teaching your kids reponsabilities.

9. Audrey

My kids always finished the season or year if it was an activity they chose. Some choices were good and some not. For example my son played many years of soccer but scouts were a one year only activity. And one daughter cried the first three weeks of dance but ended up taking twelve years.

My kids all are pretty good at sticking things out so I like to believe that our family rule worked to their benefit.

10. melo1983

I do this with the sports but maybe I’ll try the creative thing too, that’s cool!