10 Celebrity Moms Who Breastfeed In Public

10 Celebrity Moms Who Breastfeed In Public

Considering their lack of anonymity with paparazzi lurking at every street corner, we salute celebrity moms who breastfeed their babies while out and about!

Although it’s still considered taboo in some circles, there’s no shame in nursing your baby in public… or on the cover of a magazine for that matter! And we’re so glad that celebrity moms such as Gwen Stefani, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Miranda Kerr are on board. And not to mention Salma Hayek‘s experience with wet nursing a starving infant in Africa!

Take a look through our pictures and read about 10 celebrity moms who have breastfed in public.

• Gwen Stefani

Rockstar mama Gwen Stefani shared a tender moment with her yongest son, then 3-month-old Zuma, on a park bench in Los Angeles, Calif. A few months later, the mom-of-two talked about how Zuma self-weaned during No Doubt’s reunion tour.

I didn’t want him to [quit],” Gwen said. “It felt like a total rejection. It was really hormonal, and trying to stop in the middle of tour was insane.”

• Maggie Gyllenhaal

When her daughter Ramona was 7-months-old, Maggie Gyllenhaal was caught by the paparazzi breastfeeding in a New York City park. At the time, the internet was abuzz with controversy over the intimate shots. Some said the paparazzi were too intrusive, while others felt that Maggie didn’t seem fazed at all – regardless of who saw her – as she breastfed her baby in public.

The Academy Award-nominated actress has commented about the pressures of breastfeeding and raising a newborn.

I’m not a leave-them-in-their-crib-to-cry kind of girl. Fundamentally, I didn’t find that worked. Everyone’s got their own thing, you know? You can’t tell another person when it’s right to stop breastfeeding, or how to put your kid to sleep. Every child is different.”

• Julie Bowen

Modern Family star Julie Bowen made an appearance on Lopez Tonight in 2010, where she shared a picture and talked to George Lopez about nursing her then 1-year-old twin boys, John and Gus.

It’s like two little liposuction machines on you,” she said. “They suck the fat out of you. They call it the ‘double football hold.’ You hold one here, and here [gesturing to her breasts], like two footballs… They’re doing God’s work right there, helping me return to my birth weight.”

Julie later commented on her feelings about the pressures of breastfeeding.

I’m a big live and let live-r,” Julie said. “Seriously [do it], if it works for you, if it’s easy. If it wasn’t easy, I wouldn’t have done it. Some people can’t do it physically…so don’t do it.”

• Miranda Kerr

Victoria’s Secret model Miranda Kerr and her handsome hubby Orlando Bloom welcomed their first child in January 2011. The model mom tweeted a gorgeous photo of her and baby Flynn, then 3 months. “Another day in the office,” the new mom wrote, sharing a photo of herself in full hair and make-up at a photo shoot breastfeeding her adorable babe.

Having returned to work just a couple of months after giving birth, Miranda said her quick post-baby weight loss is thanks in part to breastfeeding.

I think if you really eating the right foods, putting the nutrition into your body and doing yoga and breastfeeding; those things have helped me get back into shape. I remember I was on the elliptical machine when I was pregnant with Flynn.”

The 28-year-old Australian beauty added,

I intend to breastfeed for as long as I can,” she said. “My breast milk will give our little Flynn the nutrition he needs for his continued healthy development and to all mums out there I am sure you will make the right choice for you and your baby.”

Just hours after giving birth to Flynn, Miranda shared a precious picture breastfeeding her newborn. In response to the photo, she said,

The photo was one of the first photos Orlando took. We both loved it and we wanted to share it. The pleasant surprise was that it also had the added benefit of promoting breastfeeding which to me is the most natural thing in the world and I love it.”

• Angelina Jolie

W magazine’s November 2008 issue celebrated art — namely Brad Pitt’s photographs of his gorgeous family. His black-and-white shot of Angelina Jolie feeding one of their then 3-month-old twins [Knox or Vivienne] with the baby’s tiny fingers graced the cover of W. The serene, natural and relaxed shot only reaffirmed Angelina’s breathtaking beauty.

Angie opened up about breastfeeding during a very emotional time of her life.

I had lost my mum, I’d had a baby and I’d been breastfeeding and I was in a very emotional place as a woman. I knew instinctually and talked to Brad about it, that if I could find something that would get me physical again it would be like therapy, because everything was making me cry.”

• Salma Hayek

On a goodwill trip to Sierra Leone in 2009, Salma Hayek famously breastfed a week-old infant whose mother was too malnourished to produce milk herself. The actress recalled the wet nurse experience.

The baby was perfectly healthy, but the mother didn’t have milk. He was very hungry. I was weaning Valentina [then 2-years-old], but I still had a lot of milk that I was pumping, so I breast-fed the baby,” she says, her voice dropping. “You should have seen his eyes. When he felt the nourishment, he immediately stopped crying.”

Hayek says she was hoping to raise awareness that Sierra Leone has the highest infant mortality rate in the world. She went on to say, “I actually think my baby would be very proud to share her milk. And when she grows up I’m going to make sure she continues to be a generous, caring person.”

Years later, Salma continues to answer questions about acting as a wet nurse.

If you have milk, you have milk, and if they’re hungry, they’re hungry,” she said. “I think it’s a beautiful thing, because motherhood is a very strong place for women to connect and understand each other.”

• Keely Shaye Smith

James Bond star Pierce Brosnan and his wife, former journalist Keely Shaye Smith, famously graced the December 1997 issue of REDBOOK with their then 11-month-old son Dylan. Then a fairy revolutionary cover, editor in chief Kate White explained that the magazine produced two covers – one being “more traditional” – for the first time in its history because they didn’t want “to force the image on anyone.”

Meanwhile, some convenience-store-chain owners said that if customers complained, they reserved the right to move the cover behind the counter along with risqué men’s magazines like Playboy and Penthouse.

• Lucy Lawless

Xena: Warrior Princess star Lucy Lawless shared an intimate shot with her then 3-month-old son Judah to promote World Breastfeeding Week in 2002, which featured her quote, “Breastfeeding — My best role ever.”

• Mayim Bialik

Big Bang Theory star Mayim Bialik, who also holds a PhD in neuroscience, shared an image breastfeeding her 3-year-old son Fred on a New York City subway last year. The attachment parenting advocate wrote a thoughtful piece to accompany the intimate shot.

I have written about my now 3-year-old son Fred, and his nursing rhythms before,” Mayim wrote. “To recap: Fred nursed for a solid 12 months with no supplements, no solid foods, and not even a sip of water. He got the hang of eating solids around 18 months, but continued to nurse all day (with bottles of pumped breastmilk when I was at work), and on demand all night. A typical night involved no less than four wake-ups and sometimes six (every 2 hours on the clock for 12 hours of bed time was not unusual). This went on for almost 3 years.”

• Jerry Hall

In 1999, model and actress Jerry Hall was featured looking glam on the cover of Vanity Fair while breastfeeding her son with rocker Mich Jagger, Gabriel. The picture was taken by celebrity photographer Annie Leibovitz and is featured in Leibovitz’s book entitled Women.

What do you think about breastfeeding in public?

Filed under: Angelina Jolie,Exclusives,Gwen Stefani,Jerry Hall,Julie Bowen,Keely Shaye Smith,Lucy Lawless,Maggie Gyllenhaal,Mayim Bialik,Miranda Kerr,Salma Hayek

Photo credit: INFphoto.com/Pacific Coast News/Twitter/W/ABC/REDBOOK/kveller/Vanity Fair

1. Eva

In the 1980s I fed my two in parks, restaurants, even at a cousin’s wedding. Because I always covered up with a cloth diaper, probably only another nursing mother could have told what I was doing.

I don’t think women should have to hide what they are doing. I believe in being discreet where possible but it is the most natural thing you can do for your child. People shouldn’t flaunt it, nor should they be embarrassed. Well done to these celebs, but also well done to all celebs who spend time feeding their babies but don’t publish photos of it.

what’s the big deal? you have a baby that needs to eat so you feed them. it is just part of having a baby like changing a diaper! no biggie really. there are tons of cute nursing covers now or just use a blanket.

4. Dawn

I think that breastfeeding mothers are beautiful. There is no shame in that bind between mother and child. Alternatively, I think that feeding your child from a bottle is no less beautiful. It shows caring and nurturing. Why is this such a big deal?

I think it’s fine to breastfeed in public, as long as you have something to cover.

Selma Hayek breastfed the child in Africa not Selma Blair.

I realize that breastfeeding is a natural thing, but, and I know you people are going to bite my head off for this, I don’t agree with it being done in public. Ladies could at least go into the restroom to do it, in my opinion.

Do you eat in the restroom? Yeah, that is what I thought.

Seriously. A lot of restrooms are disgusting. A restroom is a place to go to the bathroom, no eat. Being an infant doesn’t change that.

How about you go eat your next meal in a public restroom.

so here I go biting your head off: Would you go to a rest room to eat a sandwich? why should a baby do that? btw, it would be quite stressful to start looking for a restroom when your baby is hungry and crying when you’re out in the park.

• Janna

I could point you to a dozen studies (and a Mythbusters episode!) showing just how much fecal waste and urine get sprayed into the air every time someone flushes a toilet.

Please don’t tell me that’s really the environment you think women should feed their babies in.

You are an ignorant jacka$$ and I’m puzzled why you would come to a site like this which is geared to moms & babies. Shame on you.

Would you like to eat your meals in a restroom?! No one’s child should have to.

Forget biting your (seemingly empty) head off, you need a swift kick in the pants for your ignorance and intolerance. I pity your kids.

ignorant intolerant troll

^^^ YOU GO EAT IN THE BATHROOM!!!!!!!!

What goes in must come out. Some guys probably would prefer breast feeding moms in public, I do. But only if the milk spills a bit. Otherwise, what’s the point. Put on a show, put on a good show. Yee haw.

>>. Ladies could at least go into the restroom to do it, in my opinion.

Spoken like somebody who’s never tried breastfeeding in the restroom. They are often extremely dirty and uncomfortable — PLUS, every time somebody flushes, my poor baby jumps and cries because the sound scares him. Then he’s afraid to nurse, even though he is starving.

I write this as a breastfeeding mom who has never nursed out in public because I’m too shy/modest, but I do NOT think mothers should be relegated to feeding their children hunched over in a bathroom stall. As long as a mom is covering herself up with a blanket or whatever, I really do not understand why it should bother anyone.

I agree with this. It’s like PDA not everyone wants to see it, so respect other people and do it in private.

• Rosy

I think you missed the point of what the above poster was trying to say…and besides, if you don’t like it, don’t look ;) The woman isn’t getting her boobs out for you to look at, she’s getting them out to feed her hungry baby.

10. Anon

Does anybody know- I have looked on-line to no avail- what happened with the little baby boy Salma Hayek breastfed in Sierra Leone? His mother was too malnourished to produce milk and I know Salma did not continue to feed him. He was only a Week old at the time. Did they arrange for breast milk for him…did he survive…did his mother survive?? Anyone have a link for a follow-up?

11. Lisa

totally for breastfeeding, but i find the paparazzi shots of some of these celebs breastfeeding a little immoral, i am sure there should be a law against taking a photo of a women trying to feed her child. atleast give them the choice to have a photo taken like miranda etc. i find the one of maggie g a little disturbing.

breastfeeding is beautiful. nothing to be ashamed of.

13. Keli

I am all for breastfeeding your childin public. I dont see the issue, theres nothing sexual related to it at all so if you wanna let it all hang out go for it. You eat out in public so whu cant your baby? But we seem to live in a world where its frowned upon, as someone suggested feeding your babu in a restroom. I breastfed both my boys in public, but out of respect for people who may not like it I made sure I was covered up so you couldnt see anything. Someti,e you might not have notice I was even breastfeeding

• Ryder

I agree! The reason people get so upset about seeing it in public is that so few women actually DO it in public. The smartest this country gets, the more women will breastfeed. The more women that breastfeed, the more people will not even notice women breastfeeding!!

I’ve seen people go crazy that they don’t want their kids seeing “that”. How nuts is that? You don’t want your kid seeing a mother feeding her child? How hard is it to say “That lady is feeding her baby” and guide them away. Answer: Not hard at all, and your kid might learn something!!

14. Dorian

I am smiling because I get say that breastfeeding is the most natural and beautiful thing to do and it should be done my more mothers for their babies health. There is no reason it should be hidden. I am a 73 year old woman living in the dark ages of America.

Most natural thing in the world but when I breast fed my son in public, out of respect for others I would wear a button down shirt and unbutton from the bottom up. Baby eats and no flashing!

16. Jordan

Loved this post! thanks for sharing ;-)

Yay!! Love it!

That quote from Mayim Bialik — wow. 3 years of waking up every two hours to feed the baby? That is a huge sacrifice. Props to her. I wonder though, why delay solids until after a year? My baby’s Dr. said that can actually be detrimental to a baby’s health. They need the additional nutrients from solid foods.

• Lisa M

I did feed solids before a year but they don’t really NEED it. They aren’t getting that much nutrition from half a jar of carrots…all their nutrition is coming from breastmilk. At that age they are just learning to feed themselves…etc.

Really, some of those photos were staged and may have been shared with the public, but they were photos of mothers feeding in private settings.

20. Delia M

I think it is plain rude for a woman to expose her breasts in public, regardless of the reason. I did not go to a restroom to breastfeed any of my 6 children either, I went to my car if absolutely neccessary-but almost always once, you adjust to each child you darn well know their eating schedule and place yourself in a private setting-borrow a room, go home etc. I have respect for others who my not want to see it, and did it out of view-the world does not have to suit my needs. I think it is far, far more disrespectful when mothers change their child’s diapers in public-disrespectful to their child, not the public. What kind of mom exposes her kids privates? Now THAT is truly rude.

21. Delia M

22. April Marcial CoverMyHeart.com

All women should breastfeed in public, she doesn’t know how to do it comfortably yet

23. Shtegara