Michelle Duggar: “I Would Do It Again”

Michelle Duggar: "I Would Do It Again"

Though she says her recent miscarriage was “devastating,” reality star Michelle Duggar reveals that she and her husband Jim-Bob remain open to the possibility of adding another baby to their already very large family.

“We would be open to more if God saw fit to bless us with more,” Michelle tells TODAY Moms when asked about another pregnancy. “I would do it again.”

This week’s season premiere of their TLC reality show 19 Kids & Counting dealt with the loss of baby Jubilee Shalom. Michelle, who suffered a miscarriage in December, says, “It’s devastating, and many others have experienced very similar situations. Probably the hardest part is that when a loss like this occurs people really don’t know what to say…. We realize our sweet little Jubliee is with the Lord, and we will see her again someday.”

Filed under: Jim Bob Duggar,Michelle Duggar

Photo credit: TLC

1. Tracy

They need to stop already.

2. Wendy

I know exactly what she means. I lost a baby boy at 23 weeks in October and people didn’t know what to say to me so they just didn’t say anything. It’s extremely sad.

3. SMH

I have always been supportive of the Duggars. They are not living off of welfare, they take care of their kids, they all seem happy, well kept, and well educated.
    I believe she has the right to birth as many children as she wants. HOWEVER….
    seeing that Josie was born very premature at 25 weeks and Mrs. Duggar had a stilbirth at 20 weeks I can’t help but think WHY would this women want to put herself through this again? Why would she want to risk losing another child? Why would she want to put her other children through another heartbreak of losing another sibling?
    I understand their religion (or lets just say I don’t but I respect others decisions) but I think it’s time to call it quits. She’s no spring chicken anymore and she’s been blessed w/ 19 kids all of whom are healthy! That is so many more blessings then people ever see in a lifetime!
    I would hate to see anything happen to her esp. at risk of leaving behind so many other kids who love her! Obviously she will do as she wishes with her life and body but I am not sure how long I can continue to watch the show and think that this women isn’t somewhat brainwashed by what her own bible is telling her. I personally don’t think God would be that upset if someone got a vasectomy, tubal ligation, or even used birth control.

• Anon

I was going to comment along the same lines…well said!

• Janna

She’s already answered the why question: “…..if God saw fit to bless us with more”.

It’s not for her to decide what choices I make about having children, and conversely, it’s not for me to decide what decisions she makes.

• anonymous

Ok, so let’s leave it up to our imaginary friend……morons. Translation: I get to do whatever I want and blame it on ‘god’. Nice way to live people. How about being accountable for your actions?

• CircleK

I’ve never heard them “blame” God. Not once.

• anonymous

when they keep having kids no matter what the risks are, and say its gods will, they are blaming him. what they are doing is totally irresponsible, but since in their mind they aren’t making any decisions they don’t have to feel bad about it.

• Janna

You’ve obviously never known any deeply religious people. I don’t understand it and I don’t live it, but I’m not prepared to put them down for it either.

Apparently, in their religion, children are considered a blessing and all forms of birth control are strictly taboo. It’s not so different from what Catholic Bishops teach (check the news lately, it’s everywhere), except that most Catholics just choose not to follow the “no artificial contraception” rule.

Again, their choice. Not for me to decide for them.

• Janna

Who said they aren’t accountable? I just said that they don’t need my permission, nor do they need my judgement of their childbearing choices.

“I personally don’t think God would be that upset if someone got a vasectomy, tubal ligation, or even used birth control.”

Whew! Thank goodness we have someone here who can speak for God!

Here’s a clue: the phrase “I personally don’t think…” tends to suggest she’s speaking for herself.

That’s funny because Christians don’t ever seem to have any problems claiming to speak for god, especially when trying to take away my rights because it conflicts with their “morality”.

SMH, ITA. I totally respect her and her family, but it would just be devastating if something happened to her.

i don’t think the duggars are getting God’s message. stop.

I believe their religion doesn’t believe in birth control so they’ll continue to have unprotected sex and probably conceive again because of course, she’s fully capable. It’s unfortunate. After almost losing baby Josie multiple times, I could fathom putting myself, my family or any helpless baby through that again.

• NYC Mommy

Even religions that dont believe in birth control do encourage followers to use other methods rhythm method and withdrawal are two that come to mind.

• SMH

Actually she was on birth control before and then lost a baby after they had oldest son Josh that’s when she and Jim Bob suddenly decided to let God decide the amount of children they’d have. Mrs. Duggar was not part of this religion growing up. She was a cheerleader (which is so far left of their religion, short skirts, dancing etc.) and lived a pretty normal upbringing. I believe she fell into this religion when she met Jim Bob and I believe he’s the one that more or less has been the one to decide how this family lives. It makes me question if Mrs. Duggar truly wants to birth more children or if she’s so far brainwashed by the beliefs of her religion that she doesn’t feel she can say no at this point.
      All their children believe that this is how they should live their lives. Like I said they’re not hurting anyone by how they live their lives but I hate seeing kids who can’t think for themselves. I’m not religious but I do want my own children to know that they have their own rights to believe what they want whether they do believe in a God or they don’t. I just want them to be happy with who they are and the decisions they’ve made. It’s one thing to guide your children and another to brainwash them IMO.

I respect and understand that this is how they choose to live and believe that God is choosing this.. but I think after what happened with Josie and then what happened recently, they need to really think about their actions in this. Next time it may not be the baby that gets miscarried but Michelle having complications and passing away like she almost did with Josie.
    I really hope they think about this and that maybe they are just saying they are open to more for publicity. I wish them well.
    May little Jubilee rest in peace.

God also gave them a brain….and they need to use it and know and accept that their child bearing years are over.

I’m surprised her uterus hasn’t fallen out by now.

I’m beginning to wonder if this woman just has a few screws loose.

11. Sujinah

This is beyond ridiculous.

This is what religion does to some people, turns them into gullible fools who put their blind faith before common sense, risk to themselves and a complete disregard for the the earth’s over-population. Her eggs are old; they’re not all that healthy anymore, but she’ll keep on trying to have more children until she hits menopause. If they have a few screws loose, blame it on a misguided devotion to their wacky religion.

I’m gonna continue watching their show because I’m interested to see what happens, but more Kids, that’s just not ok!

They have 19 healthy children, and now they want to take the risk of maybe having a sick child? Stupid

16. jean hicks

Michele i now how you feel i had 8 miscarage one was when i was 9 months i had to carry her dead inside of me for 2 weeks it was pure torture she is buried at my church her name is Michele I now have a daughter Melody 37 she is perfect and I love her with all my heart. I pray your heart heals quickly love Jean

17. jean hicks

18. Lisa

From what I understand, when they lost a baby after Michelle was on birth control, they took that as a sign from God that they needed to not use birth control. So why don’t they see what happened in her last two pregnancies as a sign from God that her body can’t handle this anymore? If she gets pregnant again and doesn’t survive, there will be 19 kids without a mother. They should think about the kids they already have and the hundreds of future grandchildren she could miss out on spending time with.

19. michelle duggar it’s time for you to stop having anymore kids and you’re way too old to to be pregnant again and you’re also too old to have anymore kids you have your oldest son joshua who has a wife anna and has two kids (one girl and one boy), your granddaughter and your grandson. your 45 years old now you’ll be 46 years old on september 13, 2012. no more children please