Reese Witherspoon: “I’m Kind Of A Stay-At-Home Mom”

Reese Witherspoon: "I'm Kind Of A Stay-At-Home Mom"

Reese Witherspoon stars in this season’s biggest comedy-action flick, This Means War, which hits theaters February 17. The Academy Award-winning actress opens up to iVillage about her two children – daughter Ava, 12, and son Deacon, 8 – and her “pretty normal life.” She also talks about her controversial “great friend” and costar Chelsea Handler and being a “stay-at-home mom.”

On her family life: “I have a pretty normal life, outside of what I do for a living which is kind of crazy and I travel a lot and I get to go on talk shows and all that kind of fun stuff. I have a pretty regular life. I get the kids off to school in the morning and I go to work at my office and pick them up from school and hang out. And we like to cook and jump on the trampoline a lot. My daughter and I are obsessed with the trampoline and my son and I like to throw the football around or we’ll play basketball in the driveway and that’s pretty much it. We watch The Voice a lot. Like all the singers, I get excited when they get chosen.”

On being a “stay-at-home mom”: “I only do one movie a year so that’s about three months out of the year and the rest of the time I’m kind of a stay-at-home mom. I have an office so I go to the office while the kids are at school. But I just, I go to the basketball game and the horseback riding competitions and all that kind of stuff and I really enjoy being a parent. It’s a real grounding experience and you know, I like the other parents. It’s fun.”

On Chelsea Handler: “She’s very sweet…she’s a really great friend. She’s the kind of person that’ll cancel all her plans if you’re in a bad mood and you just want to sit on the couch and watch a movie. She’s really generous…she likes to give a lot of good gifts!” It was hard for Reese to stay in character around Chelsea. “She is just so ridiculous. She always threatens to tape record me when I go to the bathroom because I have a microphone on…I purposely take off my mic and put it somewhere else when I have to go somewhere. But she caught me singing a Rihanna song backstage.”

On campaigning to end domestic violence: “I’m really excited about the work that I’ve been doing campaigning to end domestic violence. I think it’s something that people don’t talk about very much and it’s something that affects one in three women worldwide. And when you think about that, that’s somebody you know. That’s your mother, that’s your sister, that’s your girlfriend; it’s somebody in your life. So just getting people to talk about it and feel freer about coming forward and pressing charges is, it’s actually been really meaningful to me to be able to give back to so many people.”

Continue reading the interview with Reese at iVillage

Filed under: Reese Witherspoon

Photo credit: Flynet

Trampolines are dangerous. Our neighbour, a man in his 30′s, a couple of years ago landed hard with the back of his neck on the metal frame of his trampoline. He’s in a wheelchair now, paralyzed from the neck down. So no tramplines in our back yard and I warn my children never to play on a friend’s either. There are other things they can do that are fun and much, much safer.

Playgrounds are dangerous. An eight-year old in our neighborhood fell off an 8-foot slide and is brain-damaged.

Pools are dangerous. A young girl in the next town fell in her family’s pool and died.

Bicycles are dangerous. With and without helmets. My daughter’s friend was riding her bike, rode off a curb, she flipped the bike and snapped her femur in half.

See a pattern here? EVERYTHING is dangerous. You be as safe as you can and you take a risk. If you don’t, you might as well live in a hole in the ground.

2. rick white

i was the one who asked that question about how her life was on the ivllage chat when she told me she is pretty much a stay home mom and does 1 film a year for 3 months haha

haha i was the one who asked her how she manages her career and home life she told me that I have a pretty normal life, outside of what I do for a living which is kind of crazy and I travel a lot and I get to go on talk shows and all that kind of fun stuff. I have a pretty regular life. I get the kids off to school in the morning and I go to work at my office and pick them up from school”I only do one movie a year so that’s about three months out of the year and the rest of the time I’m kind of a stay-at-home mom. I have an office so I go to the office while the kids are at school. But I just, I go to the basketball game and the horseback riding competitions and all that kind of stuff and I really enjoy being a parent. It’s a real grounding experience and you know, I like the other parents. It’s fun.” haha she told me that first

4. Molly Corinthos

This ismwhat Violet is going to lick like when she gets older! Similiar glasses!

I just bought my girls a trampoline and the metal sides are padded and it’s just like the one they use at gymnastics so I think supervised they are ok. I think it’s very cool that Reese does just one movie a year and is home with her kids most of the time. I think that maybe domestic violence is familiar to her from her past marriage, that was the rumor. Explains why she would break up her family as well.

Bikes and roller skates are not as dangerous as trampolines if you think of it.

Ok then we should not let our kids ride bikes because they could fall or get hit by a car, shouldn’t roller skate because they could fall (hard), maybe we should not allow them to walk in parking lots or have suckers because they could choke. Good argument.

8. melo1983

She’s awesome, love her.

9. anonymous

She lie about filming 1 movie a year last year she did two movie this year she has 3 movies she going to film that come out next year.

Just because she has multiple movies coming out in the same year doesn’t mean that they were all filmed at the same time. Post-production on a feature length film can take anywhere from 1 to 5 years and beyond.

10. Ella

Filming and release dates are two different things. She only films one movie a year–look at an archive of pictures and it’s true. Her movies typically get pushed back until it’s convenient to release them.

• anonymous

She filmed water with elephants and This Means War in 2011 and the fact that her movies get push back is not a good thing that usually a bad sign that a movie is not going to do well.

11. Pingback: Happy 11th Birthday Deacon Phillippe | Celebrity Baby Scoop