Victoria Beckham: I’m Just Like Any Other Working Mom

Victoria Beckham: I'm Just Like Any Other Working Mom

Victoria Beckham is exhausted.

Since welcoming daughter Harper last July, the mom-of-four has been on the go, criss-crossing the globe for fashion events, working with her design team, taking care of her kids. Speaking to UK’s The Mirror, Victoria hits back at recent criticism that she’s too skinny or plain old miserable: “I’m a working mum,” she says. “So give me a break.”

“Harper’s not sleeping that great, and I’ve been taking Skype business calls throughout the night too because of the collections,” Posh says. “I’m up with the baby as all mums are and I wouldn’t have it any other way. There’s not a team of people doing it for me. And then people want to say I look crap. Well, I’m a working mum, so give me a break.”

While she’s the first to admit she’s tired, Victoria is quick to dismiss those “miserable” claims: “Look, if people want to say I’m miserable then so be it,” she says. “I’m really not. I have a lot on my plate. I’m not going to lie about it, I’m tired. I’m really tired but I’m also very happy with my life. I’m basically just like any woman who’s working and has lots of children – it’s tough.”

Like most moms, she’s also quick to gush about her beautiful brood with her husband David Beckham, which includes Harper as well as boys Brooklyn, Romeo and Cruz.

“The boys love sport and they’re very good at drawing and art. Brooklyn is amazing at creative writing too and Cruz is obviously a superhero. He’s in his own little world. They’re such great spirits but we’re very strict parents. You have to be with kids these days. They have to do their homework and if it’s not done then they can’t do other things,” she says, adding, “I just want them all to try their different things and work out what they want to do in life.”

So what about her very handsome hubby’s recent revelation that he’d love even more kids?

“I don’t know about that one,” Victoria admits. “I love being a mum and my children are my priority.”

When pressed, the busy mama explains, “The thing is I’m not against having more children. I feel lucky having the kids I have and I guess I do like being pregnant. But ­definitely not just yet. I want to enjoy the kids I’ve got right now. Our entire lives are planned around their lives. We don’t want to miss ­anything in their lives. Ever.”

Filed under: Victoria Beckham

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

1. Soraya

Being the successful person she is requires lots of time and energy dedicated to her job. She is the main person behind her empire. And she has four kids- with whom she looks to be doing a great job- so of course she is exhausted. Being paid with lots of money and having help at home is her right. We all would be looking for help if we can afford it. We should be proud of her as a successful working mom.

Well “posh” your paycheck is not like any other working mum, so quit whining.

She sounds like a good mom, and a realistic one too. I have 3 little ones myself and it is hard work. There are a lot of needs that have to be met. I never see those kids with nannies and I can tell that she does a lot of the work herself. Does she have babysitters? Of course she does!! It would be impossible for her not to. I do see these two parents as doing a great, hands on job with their children.

Even if she doesn’t use an army of nannies she still uses an army of house staff. Can you imagine the amount of time freed up by not having to cook or clean or grocery shop or do the laundry or balance the checkbook? Try cramming that in ontop of your 10 hr / 5 day a week / 50 (That’s FIFTY)- weeks a year job.

The press need to cut her some slack. If you read the likes of the Daily Mail and other British tabloids they make it their mission to point out every little flaw she has. They’ve been particularly bad recently (all because she’s been looking a little tired recently) and she rarely defends herself, so I think this is fairly justified. Yes, she has nannies but you don’t see them glued to her hip like the Stefani-Rossdales seem to every time they’re photographed.

I totally agree. The Daily Mail is brutal on her and the comments are so mean and nasty. She hasn’t done anything wrong to deserve that kind of treatment.

It’s the mission of a large percentage of the posters on this site to point out every little flaw that every single celebrity (and their children!) have, too.

Sickening.

She is NOT like any. other. working. Mom. Just isn’t!!!!!!!

She has a support staff (child care help/household help/personal assistants etc.). She can also walk away from her job tomorrow, and is, financially, set for life.

How many working Moms fit all of the above descriptions? I think she should stick to, “I am a very lucky working Mom, and I can afford help and am able to have my dream job, while raising my kids, at the same time.”

she looks Miserable
    because
    she is STRAVING

i have 6 kids, the youngest a set of 4 y/o twins …..and i still manage to crack a smile…..i have literally never seen this woman smile…and most of us don’t have the luxury life she has, she’s always got a sour puss on her face.

• Deb

If you see her interviewed, it is amazing how different she is from the impression you get from a still photograph. She is actually quite funny as another reader commented and seems to have a good sense of humor. She indicated that she is self conscious about her teeth and mouth – hence the often closed mouth expression. I would also like to note that having one child who is young and not sleeping is exhausting. To have four kids including a baby not sleeping well (and I can related because I had one that got up five time a night for 2 1/2 years) must be really hard. She and her husband seem to be very hands on parents. We can never really know what someone else’s life is like, but I wish people would try to be a bit more understanding and less critical of others in general.

9. Andrea

I get what she’s saying and I do think she seems like a great, hands-on mom. But it’s still not the same. Her life isn’t the same as a “normal” mom’s life. Not when she’s making hundreds and thousands of more dollars than most of us make in a year.

My checkbook hasn’t balanced in years so that’s one less thing I worry about. haha

I like that she’s a hands-on mom and works. A lot of rich celebrity moms don’t work at all or very little – which is great .. except they still have nanny squads raising their kids and doing every little thing for them.

Why do people give Victoria a hard time for carrying Harper around? I read so many snarky remarks about Harper being her new accessory and only being held for publicity. Absurd. Can you imagine if she had a nanny carrying her instead? She can’t win.

I think she deserves credit because even in her life that’s so different from ours, she is doing a lot of the work herself. No, it’s not like a normal mother, but you have to look at her on that different level she’s on and see that she does have a hectic and busy life with children that need attention. I have rarely seen her with nannies. Of course she has babysitters some of the time.

Anonymous @ 12:53 – unless you personally know her, you wouldn’t have any idea of what people walk through her door so stop with the ridiculous comments.

You are absolutely right. I don’t know her. She could have 10 nannies or none. I wouldn’t know. But, you think my comments are ridiculous??? I’m just guessing that Victoria doesn’t do the laundry, grocery shop, cook or clean or balance the books. That is a fair guess. Not ridiculous. And I’m not bashing her. If I had the funds I’d have house staff too. I’d love to have more time in my day to enjoy other things – including my loved ones.

Please define ridiculous.

Oh, and yes, I have read about her having house staff before. Something about her cutting back on gardeners and housekeep for her properties. I don’t think it’s ridiculous to assume she has people helping take care of her home.

14. You are you

The only reason she can afford these things (house help, child care, etc.) is BECAUSE she and David work. Just because they don’t have the same jobs as you doesn’t mean they’re not working.
    It could be anyone else in her place, they would probably be just as exhausted. She’s gotta be pretty driven to do what she does, dealing with people all day every day, for the sake of her family.
    She works to make her living, just like the rest of us. Her job may not be the same as yours, but whose fault is that?

She was interviewed at length during the time the Spice Girls had a reunion tour a few years ago and I have to say she was as nice as could be, very friendly and an altogether lovely person as she chatted with the interviewer.