6 Celebrity Parents On Smoking Pot

6 Celebrity Parents On Smoking Pot

Celebrity dad Robin Thicke – who is also the son of actor Alan Thicke – got into hot water last week in New York City for allegedly smoking pot.

But the Lost Without U singer certainly isn’t the first celebrity to be caught with, or admit to, smoking marijuana. Let’s take a look through a list of celebrity parents who have talked about smoking “dope” and their greatest motivations to give up their “wacky baccy” habit.

• Robin Thicke:

R&B singer-songwriter Robin Thicke and his wife, actress Paula Patton, are parents to son Julian, nearly 2. The father-of-one was arrested in New York City last week on drug possession charges after the police spotted him smoking marijuana in his Cadillac Escalade.

Reportedly, the 34-year-old new dad “wasn’t driving, he was sitting in the car. He was arrested and a small amount of marijuana was recovered on him.” Witnesses say the Sex Therapy singer “was co-operative throughout the entire process and was taking pictures with the cops. They were coming over to him and getting autographs.”

His publicist had no comment on the matter.

• Paul McCartney:

Sir Paul McCartney, 69, recently said he’s getting too old to keep up with his longtime marijuana habit. He revealed that Bob Dylan first introduced him to cannabis, which became a gateway drug to other substances including heroin, LSD and cocaine.

The former Beatle says he has developed a “sense of responsibility” while raising 8-year-old Beatrice, his daughter from second wife Heather Mills.

I did a lot, and it was enough,” Paul said of smoking pot. “I smoked my share. When you’re bringing up a youngster, your sense of responsibility does kick in, if you’re lucky, at some point.” He adds, “Enough’s enough – you just don’t seem to think it’s necessary.”

The British hitmaker – who recently married third wife Nancy Shevell in October – said he smoked “wacky baccy” every day with his first wife Linda. When married to Heather Mills, she said he smoked marijuana as often as most people drink cups of tea.

The ex-Beatle, who has four other children, reportedly did not explain why he didn’t give up marijuana for them.

• Joan Rivers:

We’ve watched Melissa Rivers, 44, the only child of comedienne Joan Rivers, 78, grow up to become a fashion expert and mom to 11-year-old son Cooper. As it turns out, she’s also becoming her mother’s keeper! The funny mom-daughter duo star in the much talked about reality TV show Joan & Melissa: Joan Knows Best? and Melissa opened up about to Celebrity Baby Scoop about the shenanigans we can expect this season.

She’s decided that her stress levels were too high to handle,” Melissa said of her elderly mother. “My ex-boyfriend’s parents were staying with us and we had a very full house. She and her friend Lynne thought this was a good idea so they went and got a prescription [for marijuana]. I ended up being the designated driver which was not a good time!”

Is this a worry for Joan’s only child? Melissa said her mom got a mean case of the munchies and she won’t be making a habit of it.

“This is not a worry for me because she ended up eating so much, she was so upset the next day and swore she’d never do it again!,” Melissa said.

• Jenelle Evans:

Teen Mom 2 star Jenelle Evans spent the last year taking parenting and anger management classes, battling her marijuana addiction, attending rehab and finishing off her court-ordered probation. She recently spoke about trying to get her life back on track.

“I’m doing everything in the right direction. I’ve learned how to control my anger,” she said. “My life just started spiraling out of control, my emotions were running wild and I didn’t know how to slow them down.”

I was having trouble quitting marijuana,” she admitted. “I just had to get away from all the drama. If I hadn’t gone, I’m pretty sure I’d be in jail.”

But the 20-year-old single mom has been in jail since stating the above. She was first arrested on January 10 and then less than one week later on January 16. In the recent Teen Mom 2 season finale – while trying to battle her addictions in rehab – Jenelle was diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

• Mark Wahlberg:

Singer-turned-actor Mark Wahlberg admitted that his pot-smoking days extended into fatherhood, though he dropped the habit for the sake of his kids.

I stopped smoking weed for my kids,” Mark said. “One day, we were driving and you could smell it from somewhere. My daughter asked what the smell was so I told her it was a skunk. Then she said, ‘Sometimes Daddy smells like that!’ to me and my wife. So I knew I had quit.”

He later said: “I stopped smoking cigarettes. I stopped smoking pot a lot of years ago, too. I’m focused on my family, my faith, and my work.”

Mark and his wife Rhea Durham are parents to kids Ella, 8, Michael, 5, Brendon, 3, and Grace, 2.

• Brad Pitt:

Father-of-six Brad Pitt, 48, recently opened up about his experiences with “dope” and depression.

I got really sick of myself at the end of the 1990s: I was hiding out from the celebrity thing; I was smoking way too much dope; I was sitting on the couch and just turning into a doughnut; and I really got irritated with myself.”

He added: “I got to: ‘What’s the point? I know better than this.’ I used to deal with depression, but I don’t now, not this decade — maybe last decade. But that’s also figuring out who you are. I see it as a great education, as one of the seasons or a semester: ‘This semester I was majoring in depression.’ I was doing the same thing every night and numbing myself to sleep — the same routine: Couldn’t wait to get home and hide out. But that feeling of unease was growing and one night I just said, ‘This is a waste.’ ”

Brad and his longtime love Angelina Jolie are parents to Maddox, 10, Pax, 8, Zahara, 7, Shiloh, 5, and 3-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne.

Filed under: Brad Pitt,Exclusives,Jenelle Evans,Mark Walhberg,Melissa Rivers,Paul McCartney,Robin Thicke

Photo credit: INFphoto.com/GSI Media/Fame/

1. tokenstein

Weed is less addictive and less harmful than coffee. Look it up. Certainly less harmful in every way to alcohol. No need for any of these people to “give it up”.

“No need for these people to give it up”…except for the fact that it’s, umm, illegal.

• FarOut

You wrote “less harmful” twice in your post. So, even you admit that it’s harmful to a certain degree. I gather that these people decided that they didn’t want to harm themselves anymore, regardless of how marijuana compares to other drugs. I mean, we’re not talking about giving up exercise or eating well…

• Arjun

It’s not physically addicting but its extremely physiologically addicting. Plenty of stoners, including myself at one point in my life, spend all their time at home smoking weed, and accomplishing nothing. It’s a real motivitaion/drive killer. It’s not weed’s fault though. Its our own. Marijuana is such a beautiful drug that we could justify sitting on our ass on all day because we loved the lack of stress/work. But in reality, stress is a necessity.

• Noah

Strawman. Quit comparing it to other things. Marijuana impairs you and half these actors realized that if they wanted to go forward with their careers and family unabated they had to give it up..which is a GOOD thing. None of them suffer without it ALL suffered something with it.

Absolutely true. Not to mention that no death has ever been documented to have been caused by marijuana use. Now think of the thousands of people every year who die from complications relating to alcohol abuse or are killed in drunk driving accidents. Marijuana is one of the least harmful illegal substances. Scientists know this. Politicians know this. The persecution of marijuana “users” is a farce and is perpetuated by government in order to maintain the status quo and generate revenue in the form of fines and fees for cities and counties.

3. You are you

Pot is not nearly as harmful as cigarettes, alcohol or the most frequently abused prescription drugs (which are easier to access AND more addictive). It’s good that they put the weed on the back burner when they had kids, obviously fulfilling one’s obligations and responsibilities should always come first. But if, at the end of the day, they have the spare cash and the desire to smoke weed they can do what they want, so long as they are conscientious about how it may affect their children and prepared to deal with the possibility of addressing the habit with them.

4. Cassie

I agree with “You are you”. But I still think if you are liberal about one drug you must be for others. Otherwise it’s hypocrisy.
    It’s like you stop criminalize one crime like theft, people expect thay you make legal other crimes similar to this one and open a door for people to demand to be legal hideous crimes.
    People often say it’s not good to generalize or they say it’s awful to think the worse of humany, but that’s what reality is. People can be radical for anything and if you put together loads of people with radical ideas then s… can happen.

I don’t think the slippery slope argument stands up in light of the facts about marijuana and it’s use.

• Noah

Yep you’re absolutely right. It sets a precedent and we know EVERY good human invention gets twisted, every good idea does too and especially every natural thing. Even if Cannabis had some benefits you can leave it up to people to find a way to make it harmful. Legalize one drug and the rest will follow it’s already being pushed for in other countries.

5. Ruby

I think people should stop using pot simply on the premise that the growing of it is not a quality usage of precious land in this country.

are you serious? marijuana is hardly taking over “precious land” in this country.

If you are really concerned about ecology take it up with Monsanto and the politicians that lobby for corn and soybean subsidies. Mom and Pop farmers are losing their land because they can’t compete with the mega farms that are producing GMO soybeans and corn that the government gives them money for. Now THAT is a real problem.

• Anon

That just makes me lose faith in humanity.
      Love, peace, Mary Jane.

Small minded people will die off eventually.
      No worries

For those who are so anti pot are those who never tried and no it does mean were open for other drugs i dont drink and never will and people die from drinking everyday with weed people what lets see …ummm die from hunger and once they get food theyre fine.. other drugs people die from and OD from all the time pots OD level is soo high ull fall asleep before u can reach it so it impossible to get to that OD level with pot.. so is ur gonna dis it make sure u tried it first

7. Flavio

If weed is really dangerous, why do alcohol drinks is allowed? Once the alcohol inebriation is too much stronger than pot effects, smoking weed can be considered a normal habit, just like a whiskey cup or a bottle of beer… and without headache!

8. Noah

Really sad people idolize these guys, I mean kudos to the ones that wizened up and stopped such a bad habit, at least, but the rest are just costing us on our taxes. They make a whole lot more than we do..a trip to jail might not mean much to them but Jesus the rest of us don’t want to pay for their little party trysts with drugs. There need to be stiffer penalties for drugs..this is sad.

9. surg3n

Weed is as dangerous and addictive as you let it be!

If you can’t go a day without desperately needing a joint, then you have problems and those problems do not amount to being addicted to pot. It’s rediculous – just because Pot is the best option among alcohol and prescription pills, does not mean that it’s addictive. People tend to need something – lucky folk get addicted to the people around them, or excercise, reading, more worthwhile pursuits really – but understand that sometimes weed is the only thing, the best thing to look forward to at the end of another shitty day. I look forward to getting home and having a little smoke, a laugh, watch some crappy TV, really just relax and put my work hassles behind me until the next day.
    The way I see it, and I have spoken to other smokers who are in exactly the same mindset – is that if you have weed, you have to smoke it. If you have no weed, then you don’t really miss it – it sucks having nothing, but it won’t kill you – it certainly won’t make you want to try hard drugs like some fricken moron. Weed is only a gateway drug for the weak minded, or addiction per-desposed. I’ve smoked every day pretty much for the last 15 years, I have a good job, I have a hobby that makes me extra money, I have a normal and happy life alongside being a stoner. Oliver Stone is right – if you’re smart then smoking weed can be a harmless activity that has no real negative impact on any part of your life.

As I said, people need something to take the edge off. I stopped smoking for a year or so, and I drank instead, and I got into so much bloody trouble with that, not alcoholism, just weekend drinking with friends – hell, if I kept that up then I’d have been stabbed and killed or something long ago.

Weed is a thing that I do after work, I don’t do it in front of kids, I don’t do it in front of people who don’t like it, I don’t have to be selfish with it and it has no control over my life at all. It’s a matter of self control and being sensible.
    When was the last time you laughed so hard that your eyes watered? – for me it was the last time I had a bong :D – is there anything really so bad in that?