Julia Roberts: My Kids Don’t Know I’m Famous

Julia Roberts: My Kids Don't Know I'm Famous

Pretty Woman Julia Roberts is one of the most recognizable women in the world – not that her three kids would know.

The Mirror, Mirror actress – who is mom to 7-year-old twins Hazel and Finn and 4-year-old Henry – graces the April cover of Vanity Fair and says her children with husband Danny Moder have no concept of fame.

“I was on a a crowded street, and somebody noticed me, and then another person noticed. Somebody said as we were walking past, ‘Oh, that’s Julia Roberts.’ We all just kind of kept going, and then Finn said, ‘Yeah, my mom’s Julia Robinson,’” the famous actress recalls. “That’s what gives you perspective. It could be Robinson, it could be Johnson, because it has nothing to do with me as a person.”

Curious about the experiences of children born into famous families, Julia talked to her Larry Crowne costar Grace Gummer, whom is the daughter of three-time Academy Award-winner Meryl Streep.

“Grace comes up and goes, ‘Gosh, it’s so sweet seeing all your kids on the set. It reminds me of when I was little, and I would go see my mom at work.’ I asked, ‘Were you happy?’ Suddenly, I thought, here is a source of information.”

Julia was relieved to hear Grace came out of being raised in Hollywood with “no trauma.”

“I said, ‘How old were you when you realized your mom was Meryl Streep?’ She said, ‘I think I was probably nine when I put that all together.’ I said, ‘Were you cool with it?’ She said, ‘Yeah, it was fine. There was no trauma.’ So that was hopeful.”

Julia, 44, also talks about the pressures on up-and-coming stars in Tinseltown.

“The business is so different; you can never be that new girl that has that moment of, ‘Where’d she come from?’” Julia says. “There’s the express elevator and there’s rehab. It’s so awful; nobody gets a fair trial-and-error period that everybody deserves and everybody needs.”

Filed under: Julia Roberts

Photo credit: Vanity Fair

she has done a good job about keeping her kids OUT of the Spotlight
    unlike Jennifer Garner

2. Anon

She really has nothing to worry about. Nobody wants to see her anymore. She had her moment and it is over. She has only one mode of acting. She must have gone to the same school as Jennifer Aniston. Julia Roberts is a HAS-BEEN and by the time her kids do know about her past, she won’t be famous anymore! Go raise your children Julia. The “vultures” who pursue you do not exist

“Nobody wants to see her anymore.” Yet, here you are looking at pictures, reading an article AND commenting on it. So she still has some draw, wouldn’t you say.

I have never liked Julia Roberts as an actress. I think she’s a one-note (like Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, Adam Sandler) who could never compare to someone like Meryl Streep. BUT she has always seemed like a grounded person and a dedicated mother.

There’s no reason to bash the woman repeatedly because there’s no reason to be mean just for the sake of being mean.

• upallnite

Julia Roberts will always be famous come on naw shes julia!!! I luv her

I think what you said is rude, she was still a big actress when she left Hollywood and gave her kids a normal life. Her career was put on hold by her and not the industry. I think it says something when you leave LA and paps in your kids faces for the better of your family.

• Anon

No, she is a has-been. And, when it suits her purposes the paps are there to film her and her children. Believe what you want, nobody wanted to pay her what she wanted after all her box office bombs. Be a fan, I could care less. This is a forum for comments and if you do not like mine, move on!

Hey look everyone, it’s Danny Moder’s ex-wife!

• AnnMarie

She is a complete has-been. She’s grown smug and unfriendly since she had children and is still under the delusion that her career exists. No one wants to see her and the sooner she stops speaking, the better.

• Anon

True! Let’s see how long it takes anonymous to attack you for your opinion!

Really? That’s why she’s currently still cast as leads in big budget films? She has not had a huge hit in a while but I wouldn’t call her a has-been. She’s got Mirror Mirror coming out shortly and then there was Eat Pray Love. She’s been raising her children out of the spotlight. Wonder why you hate her so much. Silly.

• Anon

Big budget…check your facts! Question is, why do you Love her so much?? Not much of a life?? FACTS:Go to imdb.com
            Eat, Pray Love.. it got a 5.3 (Based on 1 to 10 in case you are wondering)
            Larry Crowne: 5.9
            Valentines Day: 5.7
            Love, wedding, marriage: 4.6..
            Duplicity: 6.2
            Highest since FOREVER: Charlie Wilson’s War:7.2
            go to IMDB and get your Julia Roberts facts.
            Box office BOMBS =HAS-BEEN!

• upallnite

Thank u “anonymous” thats sad shes a woman tring to raise her kids smh thats so sad on yall part but if we dont have hatters who will hate rite

Anon, where’s all the animosity coming from? She seems like a very unpretentious person who’s probably GLAD the “vultures” are not pursuing her. However, she IS famous, (whether you like it or not) and it’s perfectly reasonable for her to be concerned with how it may affect her kids.

5. not impressed

Must be her time of month or off her meds. Or even one of those nasty people genetically.

She also has an Oscar and what do you have? Oh yeah, a negative attitude.

• Linda Morton

Yea…What do you have? I would have done the same thing. If Julia was a nude model, Mr. Negative would had nothing to comment but positive. I’ve been wondering about Julia, and I figured she was doing the right thing-raising her kids and still working once in a while. No matter what-sorry, but Julia Roberts is and will always be famous-it’s not her fault she earned the money…

7. Tyler

haha Anon shows how pitiful this world is becoming. Where instead of worrying about ourselfs we must voice negative opinions about people we have never met. Where the only pretense we have is the media and films. If you dont like her thats cool, but why bring another human being down negative. Its uncalled for and rude.

8. Lulu

Just watched Mirror Mirror and really enjoyed it all of the actors did a great job with their roles. It’s great that Julia and her children enjoy stories together