Jennie Garth: How We Told The Kids About The Split

Jennie Garth: How We Told The Kids About The Split

Two weeks after announcing their surprising split, Peter Facinelli and Jennie Garth are heading for divorce. The Twilight star made it official today, citing “irreconcilable differences” and asking for joint custody of their three daughters as he filed for divorce in LA County Superior Court.

In a new interview with People magazine, Jennie opens up about the end of their 11-year marriage and reveals how they broke the news to their girls Luca, 14, Lola, 9, and Fiona, 5.

Though the break-up came as a shock to many, the former Beverly Hills 90210 star reveals that it was actually a long and painful process, adding that they struggled to keep it from the kids: “It was never the right time. There were birthday celebrations and Christmas and we always thought, ‘Let’s keep it together for the kids.’ We both saw it unravel and it was painful. I tried everything to save our marriage. I was very resistant. I didn’t want it to happen…. I would take the girls to school, then go back and get into bed and not get up again until it was time to pick them up from school, and I had to pretend everything was fine.”

Jennie and Peter eventually turned to therapy for help, taking the girls to family counseling sessions.

“I just held them,” Jennie recalls. “They cried. I cried. It was really hard.”

Though it seems there’s no hope of reconciliation, the actress insists that both she and her ex are united in putting their children first: “We make it very clear to them they don’t have to choose sides.”

Filed under: Jennie Garth

Photo credit: Bauer Griffin

how sad :(

Why why why why why would someone share this in an interview? Are you a parent first… or a celebrity?

Don’t you see? Jennie has been coping with this, it seems, for months, and she’s finally reached a point where she can talk about it. I’m sure it’s not easy for her, as it’s not for anyone to go through a break up or divorce, especially when children are involved. I think it’s incredibly courageous of Jennie to talk about it publicly yet in a classy manner, no name-calling, blame-placing, or anything. She’s likely helping others who may be going through the same thing see they’re not alone, and I think she’s helping herself in the process. So sad. I wish Jennie and her family all the best.

No, I don’t see. I think she should be thinking about her CHILDREN first and only. Her children don’t need to see this nonsense in the press.

Dont you see, she is probably reading what people are saying and feels the need to justify because it hurts to read when people jump on you and say you just gave up on your marriage without trying.

Why would anyone need to justify anything to strangers. She could say, “I don’t comment on personal issues” and be done with it. It’s no one’s business why, how, when her marriage ended or how she broke the news to her kids. Sheesh.

6. Dee

Uhuh, so last week she had ‘no idea’ and now it’s been deteriorating for years. Shut up and go away Jennie.

I feel really, really bad for her. Although yes, most times it takes two for a marriage to end in divorce, my hunch is that Peter became too big for his britches and got a swelled up head from the stardom of Twilight…while Jennie was taking care of the kids…and started to see the bigger side of fame and it’s “opportunities.” I think he’s probably a jerk. But I don’t know…thats only my take on the scenario.

@Anonymous 4:17pm, You are not being real! Her 14 year old daughter as well as that 9 year old are coming home with questions and comments! This is a reality of life and Jennie, with as much class as possible, is bringing light where there is darkness and speculations, and good for her! Jennie is not hurting her kids by telling the truth openly and honestly.

9. Cary

I think she talking so much about it for publicity for her reality show get people interested in her again so they will watch her show.